Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 05:48 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,561,983 times

Advertisements

My personal suggestion would be to live in the Newark area and assume your kids will go to private schools. If money is not a problem and you want a short commute, buy a house in Greenville like the other rich people in Delaware. There's no way you are getting a 30 minute commute to Newark or CC Wilmington and live in West Chester or Media.

The color of your skin and accent will not matter in the affluent areas- its your job status and income that you will be judged on.

This link will give you some comparisons between districts in Delaware: http://profiles.doe.k12.de.us/School...e/Student.aspx

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-14-2018 at 07:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 10:59 PM

2,581 posts, read 2,694,488 times
For DE, I know that Red Clay is a real good school district. One of the best in the state I believe. I believe Sussex Tech is also good, but that would be too far from where you're working.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:08 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,263,245 times
In addition to property taxes, factor in income tax rates and, to a lesser extent, sales tax.

Delaware County and Chester County in PA have high property taxes, but the schools are much better than in Delaware. PA has a 6% sales tax (not applied to groceries or clothing), and a flat 3.07% income tax. Many residents of Chester and Delaware Counties shop in Delaware, where there's no sales tax on anything as long as it's not *delivered* to PA.

Delaware has fairly low property tax and no sales tax, but much higher income tax for middle-class and above wage earners: 6.6% marginal tax rate beginning at $60,000. https://www.tax-brackets.org/delawaretaxtable

You don't seem to be considering Chester County. Parts of that are around 30 minutes from Christiana Care in both Newark and Wilmington. Aim for the Unionville/Chadds Ford School District rather than the Kennett Consolidated School District. Taxes aren't very different and the educational quality IS. No question, though, Chester County is not close to Philly.

You have to run the numbers for your own personal situation. Move to Delaware, save on property tax, send your kids to private schools. VS. high property taxes, lower income tax in PA.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:43 AM

1,785 posts, read 1,560,267 times
So if he works in DE and lives in PA, he will have to pay high DE income tax and high PA property taxes. No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post

You have to run the numbers for your own personal situation. Move to Delaware, save on property tax, send your kids to private schools. VS. high property taxes, lower income tax in PA.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:29 AM

6 posts, read 12,418 times
Thank you all for the suggestions. I have been doing some thinking and I agree with some of you guys that the commute might be too long. I think its best If I stay close to work, especially with a new family. At least in the beginning and then will see how it goes.

I appreciate everyone's input. You guys are very kind.

Thanks.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:25 PM

If you don't want to live in a snooty area but want to live in PA, you could consider cyber school, especially if your kids are in middle or high school. DE I believe does not permit cyber schools for education through charter funding. There are private cyber schools which can be expensive.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:14 AM

333 posts, read 283,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
For DE, I know that Red Clay is a real good school district. One of the best in the state I believe. I believe Sussex Tech is also good, but that would be too far from where you're working.
Hahahaha. No. Just no. My fiancee taught in Red Clay for several years, and I wouldn't wish that district on anyone.

Anyway, here's the deal: Delaware isn't a great state for education (PA ranks much, much higher), but living in PA and commuting to DE is a nightmare. My aforementioned fiancee did it, and the traffic is horrendous, and it added hours to her day. Even her current "shorter" commute, from South Philly to Garnet Valley, is terrible. If you're working in DE, you should just live in DE. You won't find districts that rival the best of PA, but there are some decent ones, such as Brandywine, that should do the job.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
So if he works in DE and lives in PA, he will have to pay high DE income tax and high PA property taxes. No?
This is another excellent point. Delaware has no sales tax and very low property tax, so the way the state makes their money is through an insanely high income tax. Now, if you live and own in Delaware, it evens out, since you aren't paying the other taxes. But if you're living in PA? Kiss your paycheck goodbye, because then you're not only paying crazy income taxes, you'll also pay PA's higher property taxes on top of that.

If you work in Delaware, you really need to live in Delaware.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
Hahahaha. No. Just no. My fiancee taught in Red Clay for several years, and I wouldn't wish that district on anyone.

Anyway, here's the deal: Delaware isn't a great state for education (PA ranks much, much higher), but living in PA and commuting to DE is a nightmare. My aforementioned fiancee did it, and the traffic is horrendous, and it added hours to her day. Even her current "shorter" commute, from South Philly to Garnet Valley, is terrible. If you're working in DE, you should just live in DE. You won't find districts that rival the best of PA, but there are some decent ones, such as Brandywine, that should do the job.
So, is Red Clay one of those districts that has what I hear is a prestigious magnet school (Cab Calloway), but everything else outside of that is not that great?

Old 04-19-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
So, is Red Clay one of those districts that has what I hear is a prestigious magnet school (Cab Calloway), but everything else outside of that is not that great?
Pretty much, I think. Cab is fairly well regarded as an arts / music magnet, and there are a couple of others that are not bad; Red Clay is a huge district, so you can't paint it all with a broad brush. But generally speaking, it's not that great. Part of the reason, as I understand, is forced busing, which dumped a lot of inner city Wilmington kids into schools that weren't prepared for it. So you end up with some weird situations where you have schools that look nice and are surrounded by mansions, but are completely and utterly failing.

It's possible to do ok in Red Clay, but it depends on heavily on the school, and honestly it probably just isn't work the hassle to the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia