Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 1,552 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, so I'm going to be moving late July/Early August to Philly Grad School. I already know the neighborhood I want (Grad Hospital/Rittenhouse) and have found a bunch of nice 2 bedrooms within my price range (between $1600-1900 a month). Trying to find any single beds under $1000 in that range seemed pretty impossible to me haha.

The thing is that on all the apartment descriptions on Padmapper/Craigslist/Zillow, they all say "Available now, Available April, Available May, Available June or sooner". I emailed one of the landlords asking if the place is available for August and they said that's too late, but check back in June to see if something else is available."

Is this the wrong time then for me to be looking for late summer rental leases? I just want to be proactive and find a place ASAP so that's one less thing to worry about, but is finding and signing off on a lease not usually done 4 months in advance? Would there be more Fall rentals available in May/June?

Another question, if I find a 2 bedroom that I really like do you think it'd be easier to lock down a lease first by myself and then find a roommate afterwards? I know I won't have trouble finding a roommate as I have a whole list of potential grad students that I've been emailing back and forth with, but I think it would be difficult to try and figure out who you want to live with, then look for a place and agree on it, all while not being able to meet up in person. Once I have a place I like I can just advertise "Hey I have this place if you're interested let me know!"

This is my first time apartment hunting/renting so i'm not totally familiar on the right timing for look for places.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 03:47 PM

377 posts, read 668,821 times
Personally, I'd never enter into a mutual lease (both parties sign) with a relative stranger, particularly at the rates you're considering for a 2BD. It can lead to big problems if later it becomes obvious there are unresolvable incompatibilities. I always preferred to be the only lease signer. At least you have the option of kicking out the potential bad guy if you hate him, or he doesn't pay his share. With a mutual Lease, you don't have that option and will likely be responsible for whatever your roommate fails to comply with, including damages, failed payments, etc.. The leasing company may go after you if they fail to extract payment from your roommate for any obligation. Further, this type of lease default (even though it's your roommates fault and portion of the rent), can impact your personal credit history. I'd keep looking for a 1BD, or if you have the $, the 2BD with the understanding that you may never find a roommate who possess the guaranteed qualities required to avoid the above situations. Before you act.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:32 PM

1,785 posts, read 1,567,786 times
You can't just kick out your roommate because they are not on the lease. It doesn't work that way. The mere fact that you gave them a key and they are residing on the property gives the a right to stay even if you want them out.

As a landlord, I want everyone living on my property to be on the lease. That way, I can take both parties to court if they bring problems later on and get a judgement on both of them. This forces both parties to resolve their issues without dragging me into their fights because the matter will be resolved in court if I don't get my rent. In addition, I would not allow sub-leasing, so they have to sign the lease together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
Personally, I'd never enter into a mutual lease (both parties sign) with a relative stranger, particularly at the rates you're considering for a 2BD. It can lead to big problems if later it becomes obvious there are unresolvable incompatibilities. I always preferred to be the only lease signer. At least you have the option of kicking out the potential bad guy if you hate him, or he doesn't pay his share. With a mutual Lease, you don't have that option and will likely be responsible for whatever your roommate fails to comply with, including damages, failed payments, etc.. The leasing company may go after you if they fail to extract payment from your roommate for any obligation. Further, this type of lease default (even though it's your roommates fault and portion of the rent), can impact your personal credit history. I'd keep looking for a 1BD, or if you have the $, the 2BD with the understanding that you may never find a roommate who possess the guaranteed qualities required to avoid the above situations. Before you act.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 1,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
You can't just kick out your roommate because they are not on the lease. It doesn't work that way. The mere fact that you gave them a key and they are residing on the property gives the a right to stay even if you want them out.

As a landlord, I want everyone living on my property to be on the lease. That way, I can take both parties to court if they bring problems later on and get a judgement on both of them. This forces both parties to resolve their issues without dragging me into their fights because the matter will be resolved in court if I don't get my rent. In addition, I would not allow sub-leasing, so they have to sign the lease together.

Could you sign it by yourself once you find a place, but then when you find a roommate, amend the lease to include the roommate?

Old 04-19-2018, 06:17 PM

It depends with the landlord. You just have to discuss this with them, although I think many will balk at such an idea unless they have a bad property that can't attract good tenants. A good property attracts multiple tenants and the landlord will go with the first one to sign the lease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadcastthatboom View Post
Could you sign it by yourself once you find a place, but then when you find a roommate, amend the lease to include the roommate?

Old 04-19-2018, 06:41 PM

377 posts, read 668,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Whoa ! That is just not correct. Unless there is a formal agreement between the parties - in writing, the legal resident of the property has every right to evict someone who is living in their leased apartment. You can't be serious that anyone I happen to just give a key to (without any written agreement) can stay as long as they want, regardless of my wishes. To prove trespass, all I would likely have to do is demand return of the key and if refused file a complaint with the police.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:43 PM

How are they trespassing when you gave them the keys and they are living on the property?

Just because they are not on the lease does not mean they don't have possession of the property. That's why as a landlord I want everyone over 18 yrs on the lease. Even if they are not contributing towards the rent. The lease overrides whatever verbal agreements they might have gotten into. At the end of the month, I wan't my money regardless of who among the tenants is footing the rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
Whoa ! That is just not correct. Unless there is a formal agreement between the parties - in writing, the legal resident of the property has every right to evict someone who is living in their leased apartment. You can't be serious that anyone I happen to just give a key to (without any written agreement) can stay as long as they want, regardless of my wishes. To prove trespass, all I would likely have to do is demand return of the key and if refused file a complaint with the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: