Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The reasons you want to leave Phoenix
Lack of employment opportunities/low paying jobs 52 39.69%
Family/friends/moving to be with/getting away from 15 11.45%
Lack of entertainment/culture/walkability/bored 42 32.06%
Suburbia/stucco/track housing 32 24.43%
Esthetics/sick of the desert/brown/climate 56 42.75%
Politics 32 24.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 02:54 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times

Advertisements

Dunno whether anybody's mentioned it, But Harper's Magazine had an interesting article about AZ that speaks to a lot of what folks are saying here:

"Tea Party in Sonora": Ken Silverstein of Harper’s Says Arizona is Laboratory for Radical GOP Policies

Old 11-24-2010, 02:56 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
Actually, I just read an article recently that mentioned the exact job I'm looking for. In Phoenix it pays mid- to high- $20Ks. The average salary for that exact position nationwide is $53K. Hmm... why is that?
Because there's a lower demand for that job here. Simple as that. Salaries are all about supply and demand.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:34 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Yep - either that or the job just isn't that special or difficult to perform

In my industry it's so hard to find good talent that you can be securely employed if somewhat competant with salaries comparable to other areas when you factor in COL.

The employment situation here could get better and we definitely need to do more to improve the quality of our talent base and the employers who come here.

However, there are a lot of good jobs out here and a lot of people who are doing well.

I wouldn't say the economy was solely based on growth alone, but there was an obvious demand within that sector.

When you had the population growth and overall demand do you just ignore it?

I don't think you really can. It definitely burned way too hot and got a little speculative, but that doesn't change that there was a real demand for housing, commercial space & infrastructure above the norms. This lead ot an increase in construction, development, sales, insurance and many other related services.

When it tanked all those sectors took the hit.

Construction unemployment is some of the highest in the nation - but it's just the opposite side of the cycle. Unfortunately you had some people move here when it was hot and they were often the first ones let go when it cooled.

These types of workers aren't just going to find jobs based on some high paying white collar jobs moving in - it's a miss.

So not only do we need to focus on job diversification, but also job growth in targets where the unemployed are reasonably qualified (or can become qualified) to work.

This isn't just an AZ issue though - In fact our neighbors to the north in NV have it even a little bit worse.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:15 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
I'm making just slightly over the national average for my profession here in Phoenix.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:22 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
And I'm not saying that #3 ranking is bad, just that given Arizona's track record they're likely not very good jobs.
First, you don't know that. You are just trying to paint as dark of a picture as possible over what is a very good picture. Just like the '60's... paint it black.
Second, what makes it a "not very good job"? That you don't qualify for it? Or that it may be "beneath" you?

Old 11-24-2010, 07:38 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,224,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
First, you don't know that. You are just trying to paint as dark of a picture as possible over what is a very good picture. Just like the '60's... paint it black.
Second, what makes it a "not very good job"? That you don't qualify for it? Or that it may be "beneath" you?
That it's beneath me. Plain and simple. That sounds arrogant, but it's how I feel. I did a lot in the past to build up relevant work experience so that I don't have to work those jobs.

And to kdog... the positions I want are just in short supply here, whereas they're easier to come by in other cities. Because there just aren't many of them here, my guess is that it's easier for companies that do offer those positions to hire at significantly less pay instead of having to compete with each other to attract candidates. The thing is, my field has a symbiotic relationship with companies and actually depends on corporate headquarters being in town... which is why these positions aren't easy to find here.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:39 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Thanks for those who voted in the polls! It was a good turnout and I found the results interesting.

Some of the discussions got a bit heated and off topic. It appears the thread has run its course so it is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area