Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:52 AM

6 posts, read 27,059 times

Advertisements

We are considering retiring from CO to AZ in 2013 and are looking at Sun City, Sun City West or Sun Lakes as possible locations. We would love to hear from anyone living in the these areas; likes/dislikes and why they chose the area they are in. Any info is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 10:53 AM

27 posts, read 97,972 times
We bought in Sun City West, mainly due to three things:

1. Proximity to family in the area
2. Low Cost with lots of recreation
3. Proximity to our current home in Orange County

We have lived in Arizona before, so very familiar with the weather.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:34 PM

391 posts, read 787,767 times
Of the three, I would choose sun lakes. Really liked it Great location, gated (newer parts). Very active. Oak wood part is newer with up to 2006 build. Sun lakes was our second choice as we bought in trilogy at vistancia, liked it the best but sun lakes was great too. Don't really know why sun grand did not appeal to us as it was nice too. (For sure did not like having to use 60 to get in and out.)
You can't make a mistake. Theyre all nice.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:38 PM

284 posts, read 700,501 times
You might also look at east Mesa. We live in Leisure World and like it because it is 20 minutes to the airport and five minutes to Superstition Springs mall. Let me know if you would like details, or you can check the website.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:29 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
They all have their good and bad. Best thing is to come and visit the different communities. We live in Sun City the III phase of the original. It is funky, not everyone's cup of tea, but we had so much fun gutting and remodeling the old house to make it ours I could not imagine doing anything else. Budget was also a factor for us as the HOA fees in Trilogy and the property taxes were a bit steep with the other homes we own. We wanted to downsize so here we are. The ammenities here are hard to beat...over 200 clubs, 7 recreation centers with olympic sized pools and 7 golf courses that are way too cheap. You really need to see them all in person. Trilogy is beautiful and posh there is no doubt about that.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:48 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
I would suggest, as Motley Crew suggersted, is to come visit all those fine communities. You may want to consider renting in each area for at least 6 monthys to get the feel of the those areas and to see what amenities and other things that fit your wants and needs.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 AM

Thanks everyone for the info....we are visiting those areas in July...yes July...as we want to get a good feel of the summer heat. We have family in Tempe that we usually visit in spring and fall, so we definitely love the weather that time of year!

Old 04-25-2012, 06:42 AM

I would love to get some info from you....we have not considered Mesa...

Old 04-25-2012, 06:48 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,534 times
I've had relatives in Leisure World and Sun Lakes. Leisure World is close in and a little older of a community. They lowered the min. age to 45 recently, I think. Sun Lakes seems a little more upscale, to me. The Sun Cities seem older, too. I don't have facts but I'm thinking they and LW were built up in the 60s/70s whereas Sun Lakes was more 80s/90s, possibly? I like them all.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:54 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I've had relatives in Leisure World and Sun Lakes. Leisure World is close in and a little older of a community. They lowered the min. age to 45 recently, I think. Sun Lakes seems a little more upscale, to me. The Sun Cities seem older, too. I don't have facts but I'm thinking they and LW were built up in the 60s/70s whereas Sun Lakes was more 80s/90s, possibly? I like them all.
Sun City the original started in 1960 by Del Webb. It was a risk at the time and is the first 55+ development in the USA. He expected to only sell very few when they first opened but it took off right out the gate. Some of the homes are older but many have been remodeled to bring them up to date. There is a cult of younger retirees as well and young couples looking for mid century modern homes and they are getting harder to find. We love Atomic Ranch homes and have always wanted one. We kept the exterior fairly contemporary but gutted the interior. The other Sun City developments, Sun City West was built sometime in the early 80's (not sure of the exact date) then Sun City Grand is the newer of the three which started in the 90's. If newer architecture is what you like, then Trilogy would be first on my list. They did an outstanding job developing that community. The landscaping is awesome and the homes well designed. Again, budget was a factor for us and this fit our needs very well and gave my husband the project he needed at the time. Enjoy your tour and when driving around, take a cooler of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area