Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 07:35 AM

2,028 posts, read 878,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
Yes, I bought two new construction homes in the past and didn't have an agent for either one. The agents on site were just sales reps for the builder, not actual realtors.

In any case, if realtors are involved, wouldn't the seller be paying the commission anyway? Sellers typically do, right? And it's the same amount whether there are one (full commission) or two agents (split 2 ways)?
In my opinion you don't need an agent. You are buying a new home. A new home in a new development has warranties built in from the get go. It's nonsensical unless you have a family member or close friend that's an agent that you want to help make a buck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 04:14 AM

9,818 posts, read 11,205,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
Yes, I bought two new construction homes in the past and didn't have an agent for either one. The agents on site were just sales reps for the builder, not actual realtors.

In any case, if realtors are involved, wouldn't the seller be paying the commission anyway? Sellers typically do, right? And it's the same amount whether there are one (full commission) or two agents (split 2 ways)?
I always thought the "sales reps" were also RE agents too. They are in our hood. Plus, a few agents in our hood left the builder and are now taking care of the resales. And, they are making bank!

If I were looking to build in development, I'd make a phone call BEFORE I visited the facility and let them know I wanted to work out a better deal upfront or you would bring in your agent. Then, see what they said. I'd try to negotiate a better deal like a free upgrade. Analogy: Often, I call the hotel directly after I see what the price is online to see if I can get a better deal. Sometimes the answer is yes, and sometimes it is actually more expensive than an online spot like Travelocity. But it can work out better by calling. Their 1st answer is generally higher until you remind them that you can get the room cheaper online and you thought you could split the savings with them. Often, that approach works.

That all said, I can give you an example of when I think it is a bad idea to bring in your own agent. When there was a lottery situation in late 2020 to early 2022 (and the 2005-ish era), builder agents were allocated properties. In our hood, there are 4 agents representing the builder and there could be 30 people on a list to buy a released lot. They split up the housing starts among the agents. Those lottery draws were never done in public. Gee, why??? All things being equal, if you were the builder or builder agent, would you want to give away 2% or $20K to a seller's agent? I had a friend who brought in her non-active agent (her sister) to help pad her pocket. Round after round, she lost the lottery bid. All the while the house that she wanted slowly went up $200K. She eventually tapped out. Always follow the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area