Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 12:12 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,663,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
My God. Your posts are hilarious. You act like there's some Nirvana somewhere where all the smart hip young professionals live a perfect life. Sorry kiddo but that doesn't exist. Why don't you move to one of these so-called Nirvanas and let us know how it goes for you. You say you aren't complaining about the Valley and that appears to be all that you are doing. And I don't need another lecture about my reading comprehension kiddo.

I'm going to cut you a little slack because you're obviously young I don't really have that much of an idea of how the world works yet. Why don't you get in touch with me in 20 years or so and let me know what your ideas are then. It just doesn't do much good to have a meaningful dialogue with people that haven't experienced that much life yet. Sorry if I sound condescending but it is what it is.
I've experienced plenty. You have no idea how old I am nor what I've done in my life. Again, the assumptions are just bizarre.

I'll cut you a little slack since it sounds like you're getting up there in age. You don't even live here so im not sure how you feel entitled to have an opinion about what our city needs or doesn't. Sure, no city is perfect, but we have a long way to go before we're not only attracting either geezers looking to relax or families looking to buy a house that they couldn't afford elsewhere. There's nothing wrong with either, but we need to remain relevant in the business world too. Amenities that young professionals demand will be necessary. The truth is, if Seattle had better weather, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Proposing a follow up in 20 years is a little optimistic on your part, isn't it? Sorry if I sound condescending but it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 05:57 AM

3,411 posts, read 4,646,760 times
The basic emphasis of this thread is to introduce more unaffordability to the Phoenix area, nothing more. Is this what you want? Is the goal to make EVERY metropolitan area a place for the rich and poor, similar to third a world country? This only makes the urban/rural divide more prominent. Rinse and repeat an endless cycle that people don't seem to learn from.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:56 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,305,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I've experienced plenty. You have no idea how old I am nor what I've done in my life. Again, the assumptions are just bizarre.

I'll cut you a little slack since it sounds like you're getting up there in age. You don't even live here so im not sure how you feel entitled to have an opinion about what our city needs or doesn't. Sure, no city is perfect, but we have a long way to go before we're not only attracting either geezers looking to relax or families looking to buy a house that they couldn't afford elsewhere. There's nothing wrong with either, but we need to remain relevant in the business world too. Amenities that young professionals demand will be necessary. The truth is, if Seattle had better weather, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Proposing a follow up in 20 years is a little optimistic on your part, isn't it? Sorry if I sound condescending but it is what it is.

Was the cutting me a slack because you think I'm older than you supposed to be as cut. Ouch, that REALLY HURT!! LOL. I'm super glad I'm retired. But you don't have to be old to be retired. Look it up. LOL. You don't need to cut me any slack, sonny. I'm not old at all, but I do have more experience than you. Although now you say you may be young and you may be old. LOL. One or the other I guess. It's a confusing life for you, right?

I'm happily retired and both my Dad and grandad lived to over 100 so I've probably got over four decades left. Probably longer than you. LOL.

So, it's only younguns (and you are probably old because as you say you have't revealed your age) who keep Phoenix area relevant in the business world? That's what you said. That's a laugh.

I think you should move to Seattle. Because being happy is all about the weather as you intimate.

Have a nice day in the salt mine. Sorry I can't join ya!! Enough of this ridiculous convo with yet another unhappy person who wants to move to Seattle if only blah blah blah. If only pigs could fly. If only the weather there was better. If only he was happy with himself. LOL. I figured you get to the Seattle part eventually. Wait, but you like Nashville!! Maybe you should start your own huge company to attract "young professionals" instead of complaining on some internet thread about not having a good business climate. Seattle's minimum wage increase is resulting in fewer opportunities there so you may be unemployed if you move. Nothing is perfect.

Last edited by Burkmere; 08-31-2017 at 08:07 AM..

Old 08-31-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Again, reading comprehension. I never said I make $100k. I'm not sure what your obsession is with me; how you 'sound' like me and are concerned with my home ownership status, but it's a bit bizarre.
Um, this is what you said exactly.

I make a healthy living, but other white collar, educated, young(ish), six-figure+ earners are few and far between.

"Other" blah blah to me assumes that you do, too. I guess you don't.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:47 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,976,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post

What's wrong with artsy areas? Roosevelt has been nothing but a boon for Central Phoenix. The amount of wealth that area is attracting right now would be unheard of even 10 years ago.
Artsy areas are fine... as long as the art is, well, art, and not the minimalistic modern trash that hipsters try to pass off on the sorry suckers who buy it. Sorry, but placing a chair with a brick on it and calling it "art" is pathetic, and that's the kind of junk you see in hipster 'hoods (Ive personally seen it in Chicago). The bulk of the art we see along Roosevelt is rather embarrassing. If one wants a unique artist enclave, look no further than Santa Fe. The gypsy/hippie vibe there is strong, but its dare I say "classy". It attracts people from all over the world. No one from London is going to say "hey, I need to go to Phoenix to see Roosevelt Row!" Why? Because its mainstream, and not really unique at all. Painting murals on walls, putting in more coffee shops, and erecting trendy apartments is seen everywhere these days. It isn't unique to Roosevelt Row at all. Old school interesting neighborhoods are being replaced with this nonsense and it sucks! And all these people moving there are just driving up rent and will soon force out people who cant afford to rent a shoddily-built apartment with paper thin walls with trendy exposed duct work for $2K a month. Another thing I don't understand is the crowd that Roosevelt attracts proclaims they "like diversity", yet they transform entire blocks into white bread garbage that the locals eventually loathe, at times displacing entire minority groups in the process. Going one step further (and even better still) is how you read the reviews on Yelp about places near Roosevelt that hipsters move to, and many complain about the homeless and vandalism, etc, in the area. lololol

Old 08-31-2017, 08:49 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,663,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Um, this is what you said exactly.

I make a healthy living, but other white collar, educated, young(ish), six-figure+ earners are few and far between.

"Other" blah blah to me assumes that you do, too. I guess you don't.
Six figures doesn't mean $100k. Yikes. I could make $950k for all you know.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:09 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,816,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
And what exactly do you think grants and low down loans do to housing prices? Subsidized housing creates magnets for people seeking subsidized housing...like the five year waiting lists in Portlandia. If you think it is bad to have a well paid work force; give North Korea a try, that is much more in line with their ideology. Progressive taxes...well, as far as income, the bottom half don't pay any...progressive enough for you? As far as other taxes and fees which are basically taxes, yep the liberals are almost always behind this...renters tax, grocery tax, and they hit the lower incomes the hardest.
I wasn't even pushing an ideology, that's just what will literally happen.

Housing stock will always be slow to catch up to demand, simply because you can move into a place faster than that place can be built, defined as inelastic supply in economics. Therefore the free market will jack up prices if there's an influx of people moving due to the demand they bring to the metro area (since these "professionals" will almost always be at the top income ladder since they're a highly educated group). With housing prices rising, there's 2 possibilities that would happen: wages rise with housing prices or more commonly, housing prices will rise faster than incomes.

Then what do you do with those folks at the lower end of the ladder as prices keep rising and wages aren't keeping up? Just let them eventually be homeless? Let this effect play out over several decades and you have what is essentially San Francisco, or other similar expensive cities.

You don't have to be a genius to figure it out, unless you're that stupid.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:30 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,979,122 times
But Mr. Moore, err can I just call you Michael? If you don't own you can get priced out of your own neighborhood. I can't afford to live where I grew up in Fairfax, VA, I really don't think I am going to war with people who make more than I, or simply have to live reasonably near their jobs. It is generally the high property taxes that drive owners out. High prices just keeps the newbies out. Plan your family properly or fall into the limited safety net. Money doesn't grow on trees. The difference between the top 20% and the bottom 80% is very fundamental investing. There are certainly some exclusive areas of Phoenix that most can't afford, but it is a valley; not an island. Land on the fringes is cheaper than in many developing nations.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Six figures doesn't mean $100k. Yikes. I could make $950k for all you know.
Sounds like you have a great job then!! Why would you want other smart, hipster types to compete with you? If I wanted to become more hipster just like you what kind of things should I do? I don't want to be outside of the hipster circle.

Last edited by Burkmere; 08-31-2017 at 11:20 AM..

Old 08-31-2017, 12:48 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,979,122 times
May I suggest to those, who insist on low rent, that there is absolutely nothing stopping them from buying up homes and renting them out at a loss. Same with better wages...hire a half dozen people and pay them a "living wage," and give them and their poorly planned families Cadillac health, vision, and dental insurance. Oh, you can't? Well then perhaps try forgetting the Marxist buil and let the marketplace work. It works pretty well in China, and Vietnam...maybe give it a try in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area