Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 10:33 AM

32 posts, read 28,991 times

Advertisements

I used to live in an area a couple miles from a dairy farm and even a few miles away I found it nearly unbearable. I had to walk to school in the morning and felt nauseous the whole way because of the cow smell. It seemed like it was every morning. It was strong and I didn't eat breakfast because of it. I lived on Power and Guadalupe and the dairy farm was 2 miles south. There was/ are multiple dairy farms in that little area though so maybe that is why it was so so strong. My parents weren't bothered by it because it was the worst early in the morning. They would just hop in the car in the garage and drive away from the smell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2021, 11:15 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiel87 View Post
I used to live in an area a couple miles from a dairy farm and even a few miles away I found it nearly unbearable. I had to walk to school in the morning and felt nauseous the whole way because of the cow smell. It seemed like it was every morning. It was strong and I didn't eat breakfast because of it. I lived on Power and Guadalupe and the dairy farm was 2 miles south. There was/ are multiple dairy farms in that little area though so maybe that is why it was so so strong.
Several are still visible on satellite maps, not too far north of the Gateway Airport.

The other dairies I was aware of are all gone... the one on Price Rd., and also the one on McQueen (both south of the San Tan freeway). There was a small one at Riggs and Higley that's gone now. When we were house hunting we briefly looked at a new development which was literally over the fence from those cows. There was no timeline for how long the cows would remain, so we passed on that one.

Old 11-19-2021, 12:15 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiel87 View Post
I used to live in an area a couple miles from a dairy farm and even a few miles away I found it nearly unbearable. I had to walk to school in the morning and felt nauseous the whole way because of the cow smell. It seemed like it was every morning. It was strong and I didn't eat breakfast because of it. I lived on Power and Guadalupe and the dairy farm was 2 miles south. There was/ are multiple dairy farms in that little area though so maybe that is why it was so so strong. My parents weren't bothered by it because it was the worst early in the morning. They would just hop in the car in the garage and drive away from the smell.
The first time I smelled it I thought I was going to hurl. I feel sorry for anyone who buys within the area without knowing about it. I grew up near farms and my aunt owned a farm so I wasn’t bothered by farm smells but the smell in Higley road area of Gilbert doesn’t smell like anything I grew up with . It’s like a fish/ manure fertilizer smell.

Old 11-19-2021, 01:00 PM

966 posts, read 1,344,424 times
You are moving into THEIR neighborhood, if you don't like farm smells, stay away. I bet the cows think you smell as well. This is like people that move near a airport then complain about the planes.

Old 11-19-2021, 01:30 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
You are moving into THEIR neighborhood, if you don't like farm smells, stay away. I bet the cows think you smell as well. This is like people that move near a airport then complain about the planes.
Certainly that's good advice. I doubt any of these dairies will be around forever, but the timelines are uncertain.

These are not run of the mill farm smells we're talking about here. I grew up on a farm and did my fair share of shoveling manure and such. High-density animal confinements are in a different league. The ammonia from these operations can be truly overpowering at times. I'll recommend not relying on one or two "drivebys" in making an assessment, as the strength of the odor can vary a lot. If a person has any doubts... keep your distance

Old 11-19-2021, 02:36 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapapexperts View Post
Thanks members. Dairy which I am referring is Zenke Dairy (1805 E Chandler Heights Road, Gilbert -85298) and I dont think park will be built here based on my research at gilbert.gov.

Happy to get further feedback.
My 2 cent.
Delivered feed to the dairies around Phoenix late nineties, the feed plant was at 75th ave beside the RR track.. You don't smell them when you are standing at the pens. A cow poops, the sun bakes in no time a crust, no smell. Only when it is raining, so, no problem really. And there is minimal wind in the valley....

Old 11-19-2021, 03:42 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Definitely agree in principle. Never could understand why somebody would choose to live on the fringes & complain about things like farm stenches, dust, lack of amenities, etc. Some people want to live away from the city because of less noise, less traffic, etc., but they don't consider the less appealing things which go along with being in an exurban area.

There is another side to the argument. Dairy farms (and most other forms of agriculture) consume a gluttonous amount of water. With the worsening drought situation, and CAP water cutbacks appearing imminent very soon, these farms really should be completely phased out.

Old 11-19-2021, 04:29 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
"There is another side to the argument. Dairy farms (and most other forms of agriculture) consume a gluttonous amount of water. With the worsening drought situation, and CAP water cutbacks appearing imminent very soon, these farms really should be completely phased out".....Makes good sense...unless you are the farmer.

The Saudi's have dairy farms in the desert. Dairy cattle consume a lot of alfalfa...do you think the Saudis are raising alfalfa in their desert to feed their cows ? Think again. They are feeding alfalfa grown with Colorado River water. It was cheaper for the Saudis to buy up CA and AZ land adjoining the Colorado River, grow and ship alfalfa to Saudi Arabia than to use their precious water. Now that is what should be phased out.

Old 11-20-2021, 12:08 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Like Grandpa used to say, "To someone, it just smells like money"

Old 11-20-2021, 09:17 PM

979 posts, read 538,618 times
I cant speak to this area but when we lived in Tolleson the smell from the local cattle yard was awful. Same time every evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area