Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 12:36 PM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I just have one simple question. Let's say my selling agent charges 3.5%, then I have to pay 2.5% for the buyer's buyer agent, so it's cheaper to pick a buyer not using a buyer's agent, correct?
Everything is negotiable with the agent when you list your home. So you could say 2% for the listing agent and 2% for the buyer's agent. It's whatever you decide with your agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2023, 02:27 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
I just have one simple question. Let's say my selling agent charges 3.5%, then I have to pay 2.5% for the buyer's buyer agent, so it's cheaper to pick a buyer not using a buyer's agent, correct?
When it is listed on MLS, you always pay both sides of the fees. Neither one of them is zero (free). It's not a simple question unless you already have some working knowledge of how it word.

Old 10-13-2023, 03:10 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
When it is listed on MLS, you always pay both sides of the fees. Neither one of them is zero (free). It's not a simple question unless you already have some working knowledge of how it word.
Thank you both!

Old 10-13-2023, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Everything is negotiable with the agent when you list your home. So you could say 2% for the listing agent and 2% for the buyer's agent. It's whatever you decide with your agent.
Thinking about selling my house and learning more about the process from your posts and by reading on-line is getting much too overwhelming for me.

For instance, how could I even think about selling it to my neighbor with no realtor if I don't know if another prospective buyer will offer more money, or if they will have a buyer's agent or not. In other words, how do I work with a realtor and say "I'll only let you make a commission for selling my house if you can bring me a buyer who will give me a bigger profit than selling to my neighbor without a realtor? Would a realtor even entertain dealing with that scenario?

I'm tempted to buy out the other owner and rent his apartment, the rents are going for $3,000 a month in my area, it seems like less trouble.

Old 10-14-2023, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Thinking about selling my house and learning more about the process from your posts and by reading on-line is getting much too overwhelming for me.

For instance, how could I even think about selling it to my neighbor with no realtor if I don't know if another prospective buyer will offer more money, or if they will have a buyer's agent or not. In other words, how do I work with a realtor and say "I'll only let you make a commission for selling my house if you can bring me a buyer who will give me a bigger profit than selling to my neighbor without a realtor? Would a realtor even entertain dealing with that scenario?

I'm tempted to buy out the other owner and rent his apartment, the rents are going for $3,000 a month in my area, it seems like less trouble.
You are putting way too much energy into selling your property to your neighbor who was prepping you with how much needs to be done. As I said earlier, forget him or her.

You need to hire a realtor! It is extremely obvious to people who have some working knowledge of real estate protocol and are reading your questions. You are going to drive yourself nuts by thinking about all of the what-ifs. This topic is outside of your wheelhouse. Your brain isn't wired to easily adapt to this topic. And if I'm being honest, you are going to drive your listing agent nuts with your questions too if you don't let them steer the sale.

If you decide to sell, interview a few and ask for a market. In fact, interview three RE agents from around your area. Then, you will get three independent ideas of what it is worth.

Anyways, the thread topic is "gift ideas for RE agents" and we are way off-topic now. Plus, this has nothing to do with Phoenix as you are in NY. So I'm checking out. All the best.

Old 10-14-2023, 06:12 AM

Quote:
You are putting way too much energy into selling your property to your neighbor who was prepping you with how much needs to be done. As I said earlier, forget him or her.

You need to hire a realtor! It is extremely obvious to people who have some working knowledge of real estate protocol and are reading your questions. You are going to drive yourself nuts by thinking about all of the what-ifs. This topic is outside of your wheelhouse. Your brain isn't wired to easily adapt to this topic. And if I'm being honest, you are going to drive your listing agent nuts with your questions too if you don't let them steer the sale.

If you decide to sell, interview a few and ask for a market. In fact, interview three RE agents from around your area. Then, you will get three independent ideas of what it is worth.

Anyways, the thread topic is "gift ideas for RE agents" and we are way off-topic now. Plus, this has nothing to do with Phoenix as you are in NY. So I'm checking out. All the best.
We've been way off topic for several posts now, my fault, sorry, but I hope others have learned as much as I did. I didn't want to give the impression to posters here that I would come back to this thread and ask a million questions as the selling process progresses, I was just looking for a start on understanding the initial stuff here and planned to research further on-line.. I will post one more time if the house sale goes through. Thanks everyone for your generosity in spending time helping me, I wish I could send you all gifts but then I couldn't stay anonymous!

Last edited by wp169; 10-14-2023 at 06:47 AM..

Old 10-16-2023, 08:32 AM

1,997 posts, read 861,853 times
Quote:
"If you don't have an agent, the next best option is to use a flat-fee MLS company.

What is a flat-fee MLS company?
A flat-fee MLS company charges a set rate to list your home on the MLS. It usually costs a few hundred dollars and includes a property description, up to 25 photos, and a listing lasting no more than 12 months."

Old 10-16-2023, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
"If you don't have an agent, the next best option is to use a flat-fee MLS company.

What is a flat-fee MLS company?
A flat-fee MLS company charges a set rate to list your home on the MLS. It usually costs a few hundred dollars and includes a property description, up to 25 photos, and a listing lasting no more than 12 months."
Old age has set in. Your post motivated me to examine what I did. I have my emails from 1998.

In 2012, I paid as follows:

1. 8 Showings Schedule all Showings Minnesota & Wisconsin 1 $25.00/ 8 Schedules
MNlock MN Lock Box 1 $75.00
MNsign Minnesota Sign 1 $75.00
Shipping: Shipping:
Sales Tax:
Total: $0.00
$0.00
$175.00

For every 8 showings, I paid $25. From memory, I had about 25-35 showings. In my correspondence, I declined to be represented by him. i.e. I refused his 1% buyer fee option. In fact, I hand-wrote clarification on the contract making sure there was no grey area. He o.k.ed my words. So that price ^^ was "all in".

Honestly, I don't know why he would bother doing it for that price?! A quick Google on his unique name shows that he has switched vocations. I'm not surprised.... My key doesn't fit in the ignition for $200. Let alone answer questions.

Price, quality, service. Pick two of the three. You can break that iron-clad rule if you find someone working hard before they know they are slowly going out of business. lol He had great follow-up skills. I noticed I paid 2.75% for the buyer's agent. In today's market, I would pay closer to 2.25%.

One thing to note, I worked extremely hard to find a company that didn't have ANYTHING in their brand name like "FSBO", "Flat Fee", "Discount" etc. In fact, I looked and found a flood of those names around PHX https://www.houzeo.com/blog/best-pho...ting-services/

I think I got lucky finding my guy. But thanks for jogging my memory. With the weak agents in the Northern, MN area. Whenever I list, I might as well list it myself.

Old 10-16-2023, 06:22 PM

1,997 posts, read 861,853 times
Quote:
Old age has set in. Your post motivated me to examine what I did. I have my emails from 1998.

In 2012, I paid as follows:

1. 8 Showings Schedule all Showings Minnesota & Wisconsin 1 $25.00/ 8 Schedules
MNlock MN Lock Box 1 $75.00
MNsign Minnesota Sign 1 $75.00
Shipping: Shipping:
Sales Tax:
Total: $0.00
$0.00
$175.00

For every 8 showings, I paid $25. From memory, I had about 25-35 showings. In my correspondence, I declined to be represented by him. i.e. I refused his 1% buyer fee option. In fact, I hand-wrote clarification on the contract making sure there was no grey area. He o.k.ed my words. So that price ^^ was "all in".

Honestly, I don't know why he would bother doing it for that price?! A quick Google on his unique name shows that he has switched vocations. I'm not surprised.... My key doesn't fit in the ignition for $200. Let alone answer questions.

Price, quality, service. Pick two of the three. You can break that iron-clad rule if you find someone working hard before they know they are slowly going out of business. lol He had great follow-up skills. I noticed I paid 2.75% for the buyer's agent. In today's market, I would pay closer to 2.25%.

One thing to note, I worked extremely hard to find a company that didn't have ANYTHING in their brand name like "FSBO", "Flat Fee", "Discount" etc. In fact, I looked and found a flood of those names around PHX https://www.houzeo.com/blog/best-pho...ting-services/

I think I got lucky finding my guy. But thanks for jogging my memory. With the weak agents in the Northern, MN area. Whenever I list, I might as well list it myself.
I went into the agreement with my eyes wide open. But, I would do it differently next time around. I'm not giving all that money away again. There's no reason that real-estate agencies should make all that money off a home sale. You see how I said agencies and not just agents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area