Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 08:28 PM

409 posts, read 398,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Well, there has been more of a push to densify & build upward in recent years, but I know what you mean. Large regional firms like U.S. Bank & Chase vacated downtown Phoenix for the suburbs, and the NHL franchise owners want to put their new venue in the outskirts of Mesa (which some people call "centrally located"). Downtown might be growing and adding some new highrises, but having corporate offices & sports franchises in suburban locations subtracts from the central core.

Yeah I know what you mean and there has been a frenzy of new buildings downtown and in Tempe but I think the market may be getting saturated if you look at the vacancy rates. But still most people moving here are looking for SFH in the suburbs and I think the building reflections that but some do end up in low rise apartments in those same suburbs instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2023, 10:54 PM

843 posts, read 562,857 times
Quote:
Detroit of all places! That's a city which lost over a million people in the last 60 years, and has essentially become a ghetto. Hard to imagine their downtown is bustling.
The city of Detroit still has it's share of bad areas, like Phoenix does, but the downtown has been revitalized and currently has a lot going for it. A lot of the things that you often wish that PHX had. Maybe you should visit there to see for yourself before making dumb comments while pretending to know anything about it. It has had a poor perception in the past, so even though it's changed Detroit is often still disrespected by lots of unenlightened people like yourself, so who can really blame you? I bet you are fun at parties though!

The Tigers last won the AL Pennant in 2012, the year Miguel Cabrera won the Triple Crown.

(below) Rendering of the Gordie Howe International Bridge to Canada (est. completion Dec 2024)

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 10-25-2023 at 11:53 PM..

Old 10-26-2023, 08:11 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,162 times
Quote:
Downtown sucks less than it did 15+ years ago, but it's still lacking for America's 5th largest city. When people get all excited about a few construction cranes which will become 200 or 300 foot towers, that's a clear sign that we don't act anywhere close to our size. Even the smaller Canadian cities have better downtowns. I visited Calgary last summer, and I was impressed by how thriving & energetic their central core is. We could certainly use some of what they have.
Unfortunately the part in bold will never change, except for the Astra project. Even if that is built it's only ONE project with any real height.

Old 10-26-2023, 12:29 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I just stayed in downtown Detroit last weekend at the newly renovated Westin Book Cadillac. I hadn't been to downtown Detroit in about 20 years, but wow was I impressed. So much to do. So many people out and about. Downtown Phoenix just seems sad.
The Riverwalk idea was brilliant.

The old Chene Park is fantastic.

Having all of the pro sports teams in the same neighborhood really makes DT Detroit special.

While it doesn't hold a candle to Vegas re the gambling venues, it's still fun.

Coyotes...er....Jets vs. Red Wings tonight, Chicago Bulls coming to town Saturday, Raiders vs. Lions Monday night.

Well, at least we have the World Series next week.

Old 10-26-2023, 06:12 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
The city of Detroit still has it's share of bad areas, like Phoenix does, but the downtown has been revitalized and currently has a lot going for it. A lot of the things that you often wish that PHX had. Maybe you should visit there to see for yourself before making dumb comments while pretending to know anything about it. It has had a poor perception in the past, so even though it's changed Detroit is often still disrespected by lots of unenlightened people like yourself, so who can really blame you? I bet you are fun at parties though!

The Tigers last won the AL Pennant in 2012, the year Miguel Cabrera won the Triple Crown.

(below) Rendering of the Gordie Howe International Bridge to Canada (est. completion Dec 2024)
My, aren't we touchy? Congratulations to Detroit for having a revitalized downtown, and that's important ... however, what many of us see & hear about Detroit is a far cry from the impressive photos you posted. Sorry, but Detroit is known more for poverty, decayed neighborhoods, and urban blight than its improved downtown area. The city even filed for bankruptcy (largest U.S. municipality to ever do so). What kind of impression did that create?

Anyway, thanks for enlightening me about the city's accomplishments. Pardon my ignorance. I should have realized how much Detroit has going for it based on how the population plummeted from 1.8 million in 1950 to just over 600,000 in 2020, and continues to decline, even despite their great downtown.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...-mi-population

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Unfortunately the part in bold will never change, except for the Astra project. Even if that is built it's only ONE project with any real height.
Even Astra has been met with delays, so I won't believe anything about it until it's built to full scale. That's what is unfortunate about Phoenix's downtown: we struggle to get anything noteworthy which doesn't seem to be an issue in many other large cities.

Old 10-26-2023, 08:03 PM

843 posts, read 562,857 times
Quote:
My, aren't we touchy? Congratulations to Detroit for having a revitalized downtown, and that's important ... however, what many of us see & hear about Detroit is a far cry from the impressive photos you posted. Sorry, but Detroit is known more for poverty, decayed neighborhoods, and urban blight than its improved downtown area. The city even filed for bankruptcy (largest U.S. municipality to ever do so). What kind of impression did that create?

Anyway, thanks for enlightening me about the city's accomplishments. Pardon my ignorance. I should have realized how much Detroit has going for it based on how the population plummeted from 1.8 million in 1950 to just over 600,000 in 2020, and continues to decline, even despite their great downtown.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...-mi-population
Sorry, I apologize to Your Eminence and pardon his ignorance. I thought we were talking about and comparing downtowns here, and not population growth/decline of the overall city, poverty, decayed neighborhoods, urban blight, bankruptcy, blah, blah, blah.

The interesting point to me would seem to be how a city like Detroit, in spite of it's reputation and with such a small population vs Phoenix, still can develop a downtown that is better in many ways. But you do you. I've no doubt that you will.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 10-26-2023 at 08:40 PM..

Old 10-27-2023, 07:20 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
Sorry, I apologize to Your Eminence and pardon his ignorance. I thought we were talking about and comparing downtowns here, and not population growth/decline of the overall city, poverty, decayed neighborhoods, urban blight, bankruptcy, blah, blah, blah.

The interesting point to me would seem to be how a city like Detroit, in spite of it's reputation and with such a small population vs Phoenix, still can develop a downtown that is better in many ways. But you do you. I've no doubt that you will.
And this is the point that I was trying to make. Thank you for saying it so perfectly. Detroit was just one of my example, but the US has many, many smaller cities that are way more vibrant than DT Phoenix.

Old 10-27-2023, 11:27 AM

369 posts, read 268,738 times
Default Could be better.

I rarely ever go to Downtown Phoenix but it is more of a true Downtown than when I was younger.

I'll echo what everyone else is saying though, it's not quite interesting enough to attract more crowds. I don't have a reason to visit Downtown Phoenix for anything special but maybe I would if it had more to offer.

Old 10-27-2023, 11:56 AM
YAZ

Quote:
I'll say it again, downtown Phoenix sucks. It just does. Compared to MANY other US cities (big and medium sized), Phoenix doesn't even come close. And this is coming from someone who wants to have a dynamic city.
I stop short of saying it sucks.

Just not quite.....there yet?

We've attended many Suns & D-Backs games over the years. Grab some beer & snacks during the game....but....spending some time in other towns..Detroit, of course, Atlanta, LA, et al...

D.C. area....

After the game, ya got rock n roll, many food options, more drinks...whatever.

Here?

Copper Blues & Majerle's.

Went back to our "posh" hotel not long ago after the game. 11:00pm and the bar is closed?

Can't even get a bowl of soup & a bagel at 2:00am. Let alone a gyro or coney dog. Cheeseburger? Nope.

It's almost as if they want you to leave.

Or go to bed.

This town shuts down early.

Old 10-27-2023, 01:08 PM
YAZ

Quote:
I just stayed in downtown Detroit last weekend at the newly renovated Westin Book Cadillac. I hadn't been to downtown Detroit in about 20 years, but wow was I impressed. So much to do. So many people out and about. Downtown Phoenix just seems sad.
From the Detroit Free Press today:

Detroit ranks #1 in NHL cities for sports bars.

35 within 1 mile of Little Caesar's Arena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area