Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 10:04 PM

258 posts, read 533,506 times

Advertisements

Moving to Phoenix. Not too familiar with the area.

We found a really nice home in Gilbert about 3 miles from the airport. Wondering if airplane noise and pollution is an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2023, 11:53 AM

258 posts, read 533,506 times
The home is located on the 4400 block E Leroy St, Gilbert, AZ 85295

Old 11-06-2023, 03:11 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
We live about 5 miles SW from there, so our personal experience isn't all that relevant to you. We do see and hear the occasional jet during its climb, but to me it's not frequent enough to be annoying.

The place you describe, assuming I mapped it correctly, is a little over 1.5 miles (straight line) to the closest runway, although not under any fight path. While I've never lived so close to an airport, I expect you'll hear jet noise under certain atmospheric conditions. Here's a discussion that seems to confirm my thinking...

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=740149

Whether or not you'd find it an issue is hard to guess, although if you never want to hear jets I'd say steer clear of that area.

Last edited by hikernut; 11-06-2023 at 04:08 PM..

Old 11-06-2023, 07:49 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Jet noise is something which can't be completely avoided, especially being a relatively short distance from any airport (I'm guessing it's Mesa Gateway in this case). I'm about 7 miles from Sky Harbor, which is much busier than Gateway, and jets can be seen & heard quite often from my neighborhood. No big deal. We see & hear jets taking off and landing at Sky Harbor even more frequently where I work in Tempe. Driving on the 143 between the 10 and 202: the planes are almost skimming the tops of the cars. You get used to it ... at least most people do.

Still, there are those who CHOOSE to live close to busy streets or freeways, railroads, or within the flight path of large airports or military bases, but complain incessantly about noise from vehicle traffic, helicopters, trains, planes, etc. When you live just about anywhere in a metro area like this, tranquility is going to be difficult to achieve (unless you reside on the fringes). It's part of life in a big city. Even most of the suburbs aren't going to be noise free.

Old 11-07-2023, 01:54 PM

843 posts, read 562,857 times
We live about 3 miles west of there. I have only seen a large passenger jet plane maybe once a year. I do see smaller planes and helicopters more often, but they are not that noisy and they aren't very frequent.

Old 11-13-2023, 05:26 PM

966 posts, read 1,344,424 times
if you think there will be noise, don't move there. The airport was there first.

Old 11-15-2023, 02:13 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Looking at that address on a map, I wouldn't be too concerned with plane noise, but it is near fairly active railroad tracks which would be a concern for me.

Old 11-16-2023, 12:47 PM

32 posts, read 28,991 times
I'm on the other side in Cadence and it's mostly smaller jet planes that are pretty quiet. We get an occasional loud military type jet or plane but I think it's cool when it happens. I think you will be fine in that area. My friend lives in Morrison Ranch and she can get some pretty loud ones because it's more directly in the flight path. The airport is in expansion so keep that in mind. They will be adding more flights and more passenger planes in the future. I did a ton of research before buying but I'm on the other side of it but similar positioning from the runways as you would be. I just made sure to spray foam insulate my whole house and roof to be safe for the future.

Old 11-17-2023, 07:03 AM

5 posts, read 9,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Looking at that address on a map, I wouldn't be too concerned with plane noise, but it is near fairly active railroad tracks which would be a concern for me.
This. I can hear the train and I'm over 4 miles south of the tracks (Higley and Queen Creek) the address you listed is approx half mile from the train tracks.

Old 11-17-2023, 05:00 PM

843 posts, read 562,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyjam View Post
This. I can hear the train and I'm over 4 miles south of the tracks (Higley and Queen Creek) the address you listed is approx half mile from the train tracks.
I live about a half mile from the tracks as well. But I don't find the train noise to be that bad. Oh, it's there, but it's a few horn-toots a few times a day, some rumbling, and it's over in a few mins. Most times I don't hear anything unless I am outside, or if a window is open.

I guess if I lived closer to a main road the horn would be louder, but I am about 3/4 of a mile from two road crossings so that's closer than you.

Be honest though, from 4 miles away it can't be very loud, right? Even if I am outside, the noise goes away quickly and no way could I hear it 4 miles away.

Probably depends on the terrain and types of buildings in between you and the tracks? In my case there is just a part of our subdivision (houses) in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area