Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2023, 01:55 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,730,032 times

Advertisements

Oh sure, there are some driveways with beautiful pavers and some nice exposed aggregate concrete driveways, but it looks like at least half of them in that area are gravel or just plain old dirt.

Am I imagining things? If not, why so few paved driveways in Scottsdale/PV?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2023, 03:09 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,274,050 times
I usually only see DG driveways in areas on large lots that aren't connected to city sewer and county islands. Most neighborhoods in Scottsdale have concrete/paver driveways, especially in an HOA.

Old 11-30-2023, 03:22 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,740,815 times
Gravel is cheaper than asphalt besides, in that area asphalt might get too soft in the sun.

Old 12-01-2023, 05:04 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,154,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Oh sure, there are some driveways with beautiful pavers and some nice exposed aggregate concrete driveways, but it looks like at least half of them in that area are gravel or just plain old dirt.

Am I imagining things? If not, why so few paved driveways in Scottsdale/PV?
Look at the map of Scottsdale. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sc...wcW4?entry=ttu It goes from the 202 (near Tempe) all the way NORTH of Cave Creek. Of the 300,000 people living in Scottsdale, I'm guessing a FRACTION of driveways is gravel or dirt. You must be driving around a very specific area.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:36 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
None of the homes we lived in in Scottsdale had gravel or dirt driveways...are you looking in a specific area?

Old 12-01-2023, 07:38 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Gravel is cheaper than asphalt besides, in that area asphalt might get too soft in the sun.
Asphalt driveways? That would be an oddity...most are paver or concrete.

And no, while it does get hot here, asphalt does not "get soft" here except in VERY extreme conditions. Otherwise our roads would just disintegrate every summer.

Old 12-01-2023, 01:22 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,730,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Look at the map of Scottsdale. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sc...wcW4?entry=ttu It goes from the 202 (near Tempe) all the way NORTH of Cave Creek. Of the 300,000 people living in Scottsdale, I'm guessing a FRACTION of driveways is gravel or dirt. You must be driving around a very specific area.
NE corner area of Scottsdale Rd & Cactus, W on Lincoln from Scottsdale Rd. Not the McMansion subdivisions so much, the ranch style homes with bigger lots.

My old stomping grounds (Metro Seattle) anything unpaved in non-existent.

I'm fairly new to the area and in driving around/checking it all out it struck me as odd that so many pricey homes have dirt/gravel driveways.

Last edited by tommy64; 12-01-2023 at 01:40 PM..

Old 12-01-2023, 01:39 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
Quote:
I'm fairly new to the area and in driving around/checking it all out it struck me as odd that so many pricey homes have dirt/gravel driveways.
On a large lot with the house set back from the street, building a concrete driveway would be a considerable expense.

I lived in a neighborhood similar to what you're describing, although in Colorado, years ago. The homes were originally built in the 1960s and at that time they were at least a couple miles from any city development. I bought the house in the 1990s. By that time it was surrounded by newer subdivisions. We were left in a so-called county island... no sidewalks or curbs, no street lighting. I had an asphalt driveway, but other homes in the neighborhood had gravel.

Last edited by hikernut; 12-01-2023 at 02:17 PM..

Old 12-02-2023, 03:55 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,154,565 times
Quote:
NE corner area of Scottsdale Rd & Cactus, W on Lincoln from Scottsdale Rd. Not the McMansion subdivisions so much, the ranch style homes with bigger lots.

My old stomping grounds (Metro Seattle) anything unpaved in non-existent.

I see what you are saying (in that specific area). This the area you are discussing at ground level: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5970...8192?entry=ttu Or at a global level here https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sc...r9yf?entry=ttu

But it still seems "most" (over 50%) of these (very) large lots still do have cement or paver driveways. I assume when they were built, they were out in the "boonies". At $5-$6 a square foot for pavers, the cost adds up fast. The bulk of Scottsdale has an HOA. And therefore, paved driveways and mandatory requirements.

Old 12-02-2023, 05:27 AM

5,149 posts, read 3,078,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Asphalt driveways? That would be an oddity...most are paver or concrete.

And no, while it does get hot here, asphalt does not "get soft" here except in VERY extreme conditions. Otherwise our roads would just disintegrate every summer.
Come down to Tucson — our roads disintegrate to rubble all year round.

A subdivision we lived in had a paving project in June 2016 where they placed an asphalt overlay. A few days later when the temperature was triple digits a heavy cement truck left ruts in the road that are still visible today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area