Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 05:45 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,706,169 times

Advertisements

Still leaves me frustrated at the scarcity of Chinese restaurants.

We're way over the national average - 18% as compared to 10%.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-re...-mexican-food/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 05:05 AM

2,783 posts, read 7,443,931 times
We're a border state with a large population of Mexican ancestry. Why it would be surprising or in any way unfavorable to have more Mexican restaurants than average? What impresses me is the variety of restaurants that have opened in recent years that go beyond the usual Sonoran favorites, as enjoyable as they are, and offer more regional foods from the Mexican interior and coasts.

As for Chinese restaurants, the choices found in the Mesa Asian District and nearby parts of the East Valley continue to grow and diversify. Shaanxi, Spice Spirits, Heng's Kitchen, Old Town Taste, and Chou's are all worth exploring in that part of town.

Old 01-16-2024, 05:22 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
See https://www.city-data.com/city/Phoenix-Arizona.html

There are 4% Asians in PHX. And, not all PHX Asians are Chinese. Because of the lower percentage of Chinese restaurants, I'm inspired to start one... But with a twist. I'm thinking out loud. I'd call it "Whities." Maybe a fusion restaurant combining Chinese staple dishes with my Scandinavian heritage. Thinking out loud, maybe a "lutefisk stir fry" or "sardines or mackerel Chow Mein." Or how about spring rolls dipped in lingonberry sauce?

Old 01-16-2024, 08:35 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

There are 4% Asians in PHX. And, not all PHX Asians are Chinese. Because of the lower percentage of Chinese restaurants, I'm inspired to start one... But with a twist. I'm thinking out loud. I'd call it "Whities." Maybe a fusion restaurant combining Chinese staple dishes with my Scandinavian heritage. Thinking out loud, maybe a "lutefisk stir fry" or "sardines or mackerel Chow Mein." Or how about spring rolls dipped in lingonberry sauce?
Check out Cherry Blossom Noodle Cafe off Camelback & 10th. It's a great fusion restaurant offering all types of noodles, as well as asian and italian dishes, from ramen to sushi to cappellini and chicken parmesan. They even have great bread and other bakery items they make in-house. My family and I LOVED that place when we lived in Phoenix.

Old 01-16-2024, 09:02 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Are there any Mexican restaurants in Phoenix that specialize in regional Mexican cuisine, such as Oaxacan?

Old 01-16-2024, 10:05 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:

Hailing from Minnesota, I'd think a Hmong influence might fit.

"The ultimate fusion food."

Old 01-16-2024, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Sounds interesting. I'd eat there.

Old 01-16-2024, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Are there any Mexican restaurants in Phoenix that specialize in regional Mexican cuisine, such as Oaxacan?
Too many to list them all here, but you might want to start with Las 15 Salsas Restaurant Oaxaqueño in Sunnyslope.

Old 01-16-2024, 04:23 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,449,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
The barrio café too, i forget where the owner lady is from but she's a Sureña for sure

Old 01-16-2024, 08:04 PM

770 posts, read 836,740 times
This is proof that not every thought needs to be a thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area