Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2024, 04:15 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,721,258 times

Advertisements

I'm still doggedly looking for an inexpensive low-end gardener who's fluent in English. Since what I need is more like yard work, I don't feel like paying fancy prices for a "landscaper," and it would be nice to again find someone who works out of his home with no overhead.

A nursery recommended a guy, who came by to look the place over. But he had a sidekick who he didn't bother to introduce, and about 90% of the conversation was between the two of them, not with me. I gradually got the impression that he'd be sending the sidekick over on his own, and I said I wasn't thrilled about having someone who didn't speak English. Oh, he does speak some English or he can call me, the boss assured me - although even then the sidekick hadn't said a single word, just grinned.

But the funny part was that when I asked him what it would cost to cut back my neighbor's encroaching tree, the boss went into another long Spanish discussion with the sidekick, and even though I don't speak Spanish, the sidekick clearly had said $150. Then the boss turned to me and smilingly said he could do it for $200.

That's why I prefer one-man operations, where the boss isn't marking up the worker's price.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 10:45 PM

770 posts, read 838,993 times
Every thought doesn't need a post!

Old 02-19-2024, 07:40 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,435,258 times
Higher a high schooler...possibly through their guidance office. Landscapers mostly don't do tree work. 200 for any tree service is cheap. A fallen tree can be thousands...in addition to what it hit. Making an issue out of blue collar worker's lack of English in AZ kind of makes you come across as a wanker..the alphabets are nearly identical...try Google Translate.

Old 02-23-2024, 05:55 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,721,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Higher a high schooler...possibly through their guidance office. Landscapers mostly don't do tree work. 200 for any tree service is cheap. A fallen tree can be thousands...in addition to what it hit. Making an issue out of blue collar worker's lack of English in AZ kind of makes you come across as a wanker..the alphabets are nearly identical...try Google Translate.
That's actually a good idea about a high school kid - and I tried it. I once found a kid on Craigslist, who was so swamped with replies that he very sensibly only chose people nearby. I once found a kid near me, but he doesn't have a car, so usually only works for people on his own street. And I called a few schools, but they shied away, worried about liability issues.

And, sorry, but I think you should learn the language of the country you live in. In any case, my point was just that it was such a perfect example of even a low-level boss marking up his profits for his worker's labor.

Old 02-24-2024, 08:03 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,287,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I once found a kid near me, but he doesn't have a car, so usually only works for people on his own street. And I called a few schools, but they shied away, worried about liability issues.
You called High Schools looking for a landscaper? WTF

Old 02-24-2024, 11:53 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,733,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
It's better than pool boy, I guess.

Old 02-24-2024, 01:24 PM

44,652 posts, read 61,699,241 times
You get what you pay for. BTW many poorly speaking English people do excellent work at reasonable prices.

Old 02-25-2024, 01:48 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,435,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Besides encouraging students to go into massive debt to take courses that wont transfer to ASU, part of their job is to assist students in finding after school work.

Old 02-25-2024, 04:57 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,287,432 times
Quote:
Besides encouraging students to go into massive debt to take courses that wont transfer to ASU, part of their job is to assist students in finding after school work.
LOL no, helping students find part time jobs is absolutely NOT part of the job responsibilities of a High School administrator.

Old 02-26-2024, 04:35 AM

9,797 posts, read 11,191,060 times
Quote:
I think you are confusing internships with "assisting students in finding after-school jobs." Here are some internships that I could see a counselor recommending. https://blog.collegevine.com/high-sc...ix#internships . i.e. Cyber, medical, science, and engineering experience, etc. Notice that cutting down Voebe's tree which was marked up by $50 doesn't show up on that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: