Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 12:52 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times

Advertisements

OP, what do you mean by "retirement place"? Do you mean an assisted living facility or an age-restricted housing development? Big difference! Your choice is less draconian than you seem to think.

In an ALF you would pay a monthly rent for something like an apartment, and you'd also pay for cafeteria-prepared meals. Other services would be provided by the facility management to varying degrees. Unless you really are physically impaired or want to spend your energy traveling and have absolutely no interest in having any say over or maintaining your own residence, someone your age might feel pretty stifled being so "managed" and having so many decisions made for you. Age-wise you'd probably be an outlier, so may feel just as socially isolated as you feel now. Your mother probably couldn't share your apartment so if she's going to be moving to AZ with you, she'd need her own place. The services she'd need could be very different than yours and someone will have to pay for them.

OTOH, an age-restricted development would restrict the ages of the homeowners; many select 55+. The neighborhood wouldn't cater to younger families with kids. It might have stand alone houses or common wall townhomes or condos. The units may be designed to be accessible with easier upkeep than a full-sized family home. The community may be responsible for exterior upkeep and maintenance of the buildings, common areas and grounds but the homeowner is responsible for the interior of their particular unit. Unit owners come and go conducting their daily lives as they would living elsewhere. It may offer a central community facility with amenities like swimming pool, sports courts, a gathering room for activities, sponsor some programs for the residents. Your mother could probably share your home.

FWIW, my father moved into an age-restricted community in his late 50s and lived in the same unit into his late 80s. He only lived in an ALF/"retirement home" setting for his last 2 years when he really required someone else to care for his daily needs.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-08-2024 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2024, 01:03 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,722,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
According to https://www.suncitygrand-realestate....sun-city-grand The Median age is around 69 years old. There is no chance it's 56 years old.
Ha, that link they posted was hilariously garbage-esque.
I'm heading up there now to try and locate the 4 people that use a "ferryboat" as their "most common means of transportation in Sun City Grand."

Old 04-08-2024, 04:28 PM

235 posts, read 208,196 times
Quote:
According to https://www.suncitygrand-realestate....sun-city-grand The Median age is around 69 years old. There is no chance it's 56 years old.
You are right that is young. Can not trust all sites. But I still think a few days stay at each community may be beneficial so he can see for himself.

Old 04-08-2024, 04:40 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
If you move into a 55+ community pick it well. Some have a lot of folks in their late 50's and early 60's and others are full of 80 year olds. Each community is unique. Big difference between Sun City Grand and the original Sun City.
Is Grand full of 80-year-olds? I know the original Sun City isn't because I live there.

Old 04-08-2024, 06:23 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
An alternative to the retirement community would be a planned development like I live in. These have community centers, pools, fitness centers, and tons of activities for residents to take part in. The two I know of in my part of town are Estrella and Verrado, but they are all over the metro area. The association/HOA dues are much lower than Sun City.

https://estrella.com/
https://www.verrado.com/life-in-verrado/

Old 04-09-2024, 05:23 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Is Grand full of 80-year-olds? I know the original Sun City isn't because I live there.
Well, Sun City Grand was built between 1996-2005. I'm pretty sure it's a "45+" development with a higher dictated percentage of 55+. Per my earlier post, add 19-28 years to a person's age when x% moved in. Even if they were the youngest they could be 45 years old when they moved into the latest build date, they would be at least 64 years old. Add another 10 years of age if they had the newest home at age 55 which is 74 years old.

Mathematically speaking, Sun City Grand will have a lot of 80+ years old. Because of that, I bet estate liquidation signs are starting to pop up and newer and younger neighbors will be coming in. Still, what you see coming at the clubs, golf, restaurants, pickleball, and other active events will be the younger or healthier neighbors. Rest assured, your data will be skewed as many people in "active adult" communities are not active. In other words, your perception of the actual demographics will be off as much as a decade.

Old 04-09-2024, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
An alternative to the retirement community would be a planned development like I live in. These have community centers, pools, fitness centers, and tons of activities for residents to take part in. The two I know of in my part of town are Estrella and Verrado, but they are all over the metro area. The association/HOA dues are much lower than Sun City.

https://estrella.com/
https://www.verrado.com/life-in-verrado/
As you remember, I lived in Verrado's sister-development called Marley Park in Surprise which has many of the same floor plans, vibe, and neighborhood layout. There are kids galore! On Halloween, I stopped handing out candy when I hit 400 kids at around 7:30 pm. In 2011, I was fine when I moved in at 45 years old. That's a lot of YOUNG families for a 55-year-old. At age 55 and if I had to pick, I would rather hang out with silver Q-tips in Sun City than 30-something-year-olds pushing strollers. Other than the "sound of freedom" Luke AFB), a super young development was a key reason why it was time for us to leave that community. I guess you need to pick the size of the diapers that you prefer to live in. For us, it was time for the next chapter in life.

Old 04-09-2024, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Ha, that link they posted was hilariously garbage-esque.
I'm heading up there now to try and locate the 4 people that use a "ferryboat" as their "most common means of transportation in Sun City Grand."
I saw that. Terrible data mining!

Old 04-09-2024, 09:26 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
As you remember, I lived in Verrado's sister-development called Marley Park in Surprise which has many of the same floor plans, vibe, and neighborhood layout. There are kids galore! On Halloween, I stopped handing out candy when I hit 400 kids at around 7:30 pm. In 2011, I was fine when I moved in at 45 years old. That's a lot of YOUNG families for a 55-year-old. At age 55 and if I had to pick, I would rather hang out with silver Q-tips in Sun City than 30-something-year-olds pushing strollers. Other than the "sound of freedom" Luke AFB), a super young development was a key reason why it was time for us to leave that community. I guess you need to pick the size of the diapers that you prefer to live in. For us, it was time for the next chapter in life.
They do have a retirement area in Verrado. Also in Estrella development.

My neighborhood has "grown up". Everyone is old now. Most of the kids are gone. We had no one except for the sad, lonely kid across the street this year. We are in the original part of the development which likely explains that. I'm not a "get off my lawn" type, though.

Anyway my point was that there are alternatives to Sun City and its HOA fees that offer opportunity for social interraction. Shop around.

Old 04-09-2024, 06:37 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,706,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFences View Post
Hi, I'm a 55 year old looking at living in Scottsdale. I have an elderly mother living in the midwest. The friends I do have are busy with their lives and kids back in Chicago. I'm basically alone and bored. I also need to mention that I'm not fit at all, I have a couple health issues.

Do I buy a home or go into a retirement place? Is there a ton of things to do and make friends if I have a home or will it be difficult? If I'm in a retirement place there are people already there and many things to do and yet, I am young for this?

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome and sure appreciated, thank you!

I don't think it's a good sign that you haven't bothered to return to reply, but I'll post anyway.

I just wanted to mention that there are places that are communities that skew older, while being neither a separate house nor a retirement place. Like Scottsdale Shadows.

I'm not sure it makes sense to tie yourself to a group that may be 20-30 years older, but maybe they'd make a pleasant fuss over you for being the "kid." What happens if you move, and they turn out not to be the type of people that interest you? On the other hand, you don't mention if you value privacy, or if you've lived in a private house most of your life.

I suggest you rent for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area