Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 09:07 PM

17 posts, read 13,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
OP, if what you have said here is true, you may have legal grounds to bring a suit.

It's just wrong to discount anyone, regardless of race/sex/color/creed/ yada/yada/yada.

It's also against the law....

Good luck to you in your future endeavors.
I know, but how can I prove it? I don't know how. They don't come out and say they're changing the hiring teaching positions because of race but it's quite obvious that they are. One job I did work on for a month, the director, who was white, had me work heavily to fix up and decorate the preschool room, and I mean I did a darn good job, sweating and working for hours, even during my lunch breaks - and then after I did, she fired me, and why? Why was because she didn't believe my high school transcripts were real, despite it having the Montgomery County, Maryland Board of Education seal on the transcripts and despite her talking to someone from the Montgomery County, Maryland Board of Education.

I tried to get a lawyer - out here, none of them would take my case because the owner of the center(s) is such a prominent known figure in Arizona. The center director even made up lies as to why she fired me instead of stating the real reason. These are the things I've been dealing with out here, which is why I'm frustrated, depressed and tired of going through this.

Old 04-16-2024, 10:19 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Well, my husband just went in person to a place and applied for a job he is incredibly well qualified for and was told to go home and apply through Indeed. He did, he got an interview, and then weeks went by and the person who interviewed him quit and took some staff with him. So DH goes back, in person, to talk to whoever is in charge now, and short of staff, and is told - can you guess? - to go home and apply through Indeed. He explains that they should have his application and they claim they don't, and not even Indeed has any record, which is very curious to me. Anyway, he actually did re-apply, through Indeed, and has another interview tomorrow. If there were more opportunities in the field here, he mightn't have had to do this, but not so.
In your case, I would say they would have enough day cares in your area to employ plenty of people, and ghosting after setting an interview is really bad business. Or some kind of fraud. Or what you suspect.
I'm also saying I hate Indeed.

Old 04-16-2024, 11:27 PM

22,449 posts, read 11,972,828 times
OP---A relative has been trying to find full-time permanent work in the PHX area for several months now. He grew up in AZ. Around 10 years ago, he was living there and even back then, had the hardest time finding work. Back then, his wife was the main bread winner and was hoping to get into management at her job but she kept getting blown off by her boss. Relative looked for a part-time job as a sales clerk. He went out and pounded the pavement going to department stores and big box stores. Finally, he got a part-time job at a department store. At one point, he and his wife realized that if they stayed in AZ, it would have been very difficult for them to find decent jobs.

So...they went back east where his wife made it into management and relative found a good part-time job. Later on they split up and he got the kids. By then he had a decent full-time job that gave him benefits. He disliked NY and wanted to move. His big mistake was deciding to move back to AZ. I warned him that rents had skyrocketed since he was last there. Plus, he needed to research the current job market. He got a job before he even moved there. Then, when he looked for an apartment, he saw how much the rents were and ended up paying more than he expected.

The job he had involved a lot of physical labor. One day, when quitting time came along, his boss showed up and wanted him to unpack and stock a lot of supplies. Relative did something I thought he shouldn't have done --- he quit his job right then and there. He has since struggled to the point where he had to give up his apartment because he couldn't pay the rent so he moved in with his mother. He started driving for Lyft but wasn't making much money.

I tell this story to you because you mentioned that you were going to try to get a fast food job. He tried that but was told they wouldn't hire him because they didn't think he would fit in with the younger employees. So...he signed up with a temp agency and has been to a few different workplaces. He does know as a temp employee, his job could end for any reason.

I would think that any daycare center would be glad to have an experienced teacher as yourself. Sadly, ageism does exist in the workforce. Also, there are those who interview that are shallow in the sense that they base their choices solely on looks. I encountered that during my working days.

I wish you all the best in your job search! Also, consider signing up with a temp agency and see how that goes. Since it's temp work, you can always leave the agency if you find a permanent job. I once spent some time doing temp work during bad economic times.

ETA: Have you looked into being a substitute teacher? I know the school year is winding down now in AZ. From what I've read, lots of school systems have said they have trouble recruiting substitutes.

Last edited by BOS2IAD; 04-16-2024 at 11:41 PM..

Old 04-17-2024, 03:44 AM

180 posts, read 131,748 times
70sand80sprincess,

My heart goes out to you, it really does. In my own life I have zero tolerance for any kind of discrimination. I can't imagine what you're going through, and yes, it's not fair. In your position, I would try and think of other things that might not land you your job. It may not be your race at all. They could discriminate over your looks, your weight, weather you're able to move around effectively, heck, they can even discriminate on the type of car you drive. I hope nothing but the best for you. Don't give up. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: