Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 01:17 PM

8 posts, read 44,713 times

Advertisements

I graduated from Purdue University in Dec. 2005 and I received a Job Offer in Phoenix, AZ for the state with the CPS unit. I am getting more and more reluctant about accepting this position in Phoenix. At first I heard great things about the area, but after reading the forums I am having a change of heart.

I would be moving alone to pursue this job with no friends nor family close to the west coast. I am not sure what I should do. It seems that there are little good things about the area except for the hot weather/sunny weather.

I have tried to talk to people at the office that offered me a job, and two of them have asked me, "Why are you moving here if you don't have friends or family" I have also been told that Phoenix is a very violent city.

If people could respond and tell me which neighborhoods to avoid...I know that Metrocenter mall area is not somewhere I want to live...It would be very helpful if people could even tell me which streets/apartment complexes to avoid. I would like an apartment complex with mostly professional-ish people living there, that is safe...I am definitely going for safe...

...Should I not feel safe?

Is there anyone that has been in my situation? Would you move? I am originally from Madison, WI and have the option of moving back to Madison, WI. I am wondering if I should decline the offer in Phoenix and go back to Madison. Someone PLEASE help me! I am due to move on August 1st and need to decide quick

Thanks,

PurdueGirl

Last edited by PurdueGirl; 07-21-2006 at 01:29 PM..

Old 07-21-2006, 01:47 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,713,477 times
First off, take everything on these forum with a grain of salt. Nobody can tell you if you will or won't like this area, you need to experience it for yourself. Come down here for a week, get a feel for the area.

Quote:
I have also been told that Phoenix is a very violent city.
Not anymore violent than L.A., Detroit, Pittsburgh, Miami, Dallas etc etc. Most of the crime here is petty theft-type crime.

Quote:
If people could respond and tell me which neighborhoods to avoid
Phoenix doesn't necessarily have neighborhoods but rather suburbs. Generally, avoid Mesa and some area of Glendale. Most of the Valley is safe. For a nice, affordable neighborhood look at Chandler, Gilbert, and if you can afford it Scottsdale.

Quote:
Should I not feel safe?
If you live your life not feeling safe, you'll have one hell of a boring life! Be comfortable in your area, get to know the neighbors.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:48 PM

435 posts, read 1,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGirl
I graduated from Purdue University in Dec. 2005 and I received a Job Offer in Phoenix, AZ for the state with the CPS unit. I am getting more and more reluctant about accepting this position in Phoenix. At first I heard great things about the area, but after reading the forums I am having a change of heart.

I would be moving alone to pursue this job with no friends nor family close to the west coast. I am not sure what I should do. It seems that there are little good things about the area except for the hot weather/sunny weather.

I have tried to talk to people at the office that offered me a job, and two of them have asked me, "Why are you moving here if you don't have friends or family" I have also been told that Phoenix is a very violent city.

If people could respond and tell me which neighborhoods to avoid...I know that Metrocenter mall area is not somewhere I want to live...It would be very helpful if people could even tell me which streets/apartment complexes to avoid. I would like an apartment complex with mostly professional-ish people living there, that is safe...I am definitely going for safe...

...Should I not feel safe?

Is there anyone that has been in my situation? Would you move? I am originally from Madison, WI and have the option of moving back to Madison, WI. I am wondering if I should decline the offer in Phoenix and go back to Madison. Someone PLEASE help me! I am due to move on August 1st and need to decide quick

Thanks,

PurdueGirl

I'm someone who was EXACTLY in your situation 3 years ago, and I'll tell you, if I had the choice between Madison vs. Phoenix, it'd be NO CONTEST. Madison is thousands of times nicer a place to live than Phoenix, no question. I grew up in MI, went to U of Michigan, moved out to Denver shortly thereafter and loved it. I had an opportunity to come out to Phoenix for a job offer, with no real friends or family here. I've found it to be a terrible place to live, as you said, very violent, incredibly hot, and very impersonal. I've been to many large cities, and never have I experienced a place that's so devoid of interesting things to do & genuine, down-to-earth people as Phoenix is. I miss Ann Arbor every day.

I'm sure you've read some of my posts, but the way I'll sum it up is this: Phoenix is basically L.A., but without the beach, with horrendously hot weather half the year, and without nearly as much interesting, cool, unique stuff to see and do. And with even less of a downtown. Essentially, it's all of the problems of L.A., as far as the crime, sprawl, traffic, & pollution; but none of the good things. I'll trade you places and move to Madison over this hellhole any day.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:52 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,713,477 times
Quote:
Is there anyone that has been in my situation?
I was in your situation many years ago (appx 7). I moved here from Iowa and loved it. The great people combined with the weather and landscape made me stay. I never missed the midwest, too cold and just plain boring. I love it here, I've also traveled to many different cities but ultimately stayed here.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:15 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,175,839 times
When I was 21 I moved to the US from Scotland without knowing a soul, with very little money and no social security number. If I relied on the comments of a handful of people online, I'd probably be too scared to leave the house, ever!
So yes, I've been in your situation (more than once actually) and I wasn't scared.
There's violent people everywhere, you just have to use common sense and life is never without risk anyhow.
That said, I have spent lots of time in Phoenix and while I enjoyed the desert, good Mexican food, proximity to Mexico and hiking in nearby mountains, didn't care much for the city and wouldn't choose to live there. Nothing to do with crime, but because as mentioned it's kind of impersonal, there's no "downtown" and it's brutally hot.

The two times I've been a victim of violent crime were 1: in a very upscale town north of San Francisco and 2: by an ex, who was a doctor, while living in another very upscale part of Michigan.
Lived and travelled (alone at times) in the Middle East and all over this country and several others, drove a semi alone all over the US, live in the 'hood now in a small city which averages several murders per week. It's more who you associate with and what you do, than where you live. That's the truth.
Living life being overly nervous about things will keep you rather limited - go for the job you really want, unless you want to play it safe and live in Madison for the rest of your life.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelling_paws
When I was 21 I moved to the US from Scotland without knowing a soul, with very little money and no social security number. If I relied on the comments of a handful of people online, I'd probably be too scared to leave the house, ever!
So yes, I've been in your situation (more than once actually) and I wasn't scared.
There's violent people everywhere, you just have to use common sense and life is never without risk anyhow.
That said, I have spent lots of time in Phoenix and while I enjoyed the desert, good Mexican food, proximity to Mexico and hiking in nearby mountains, didn't care much for the city and wouldn't choose to live there. Nothing to do with crime, but because as mentioned it's kind of impersonal, there's no "downtown" and it's brutally hot.

The two times I've been a victim of violent crime were 1: in a very upscale town north of San Francisco and 2: by an ex, who was a doctor, while living in another very upscale part of Michigan.
Lived and travelled (alone at times) in the Middle East and all over this country and several others, drove a semi alone all over the US, live in the 'hood now in a small city which averages several murders per week. It's more who you associate with and what you do, than where you live. That's the truth.
Living life being overly nervous about things will keep you rather limited - go for the job you really want, unless you want to play it safe and live in Madison for the rest of your life.
Not for anything, but I've been to Madison, and it's a great city. Reminds me of Ann Arbor in a lot of ways. It's perennially mentioned as one of the top small cities in the country to live in, and for good reason. I don't think anyone would be selling themselves short by living there as opposed to anywhere else.

And personally, in my opinion, if you'd rather have the "big city" experience, there are so many places you could go that would be far superior to Phoenix in that regard. Hiking and biking here, in the winter, are nice- that's probably the one thing I'll say about this place that's a plus. But it's just so crowded anymore when you try to get out and do those things, it's almost not even worth it.

As for the crime- in most places, the logic applies that it's more who you associate with and what you do than the overall crime rate. For instance, in Detroit, as long as you don't wander into a bad neighborhood late at night, you're probably OK. But what's scary about Phoenix is, here it genuinely doesn't work that way. The crime here is just so random, senseless, and widespread compared to anywhere else I've been. The number of people I see who are just innocent victims, in the wrong place at the wrong time when some methhead derelict or some gangster decides they want to take an innocent life for no reason is frightening, and disheartening. I've seen nowhere like Phoenix where that seems to happen with such regularity.

Old 07-21-2006, 05:59 PM

17 posts, read 311,932 times
Default Crime is bad in Phoenix

Crime is really bad in Phoenix. I have adjusted well to the crime. Gangs run rampant in Phoenix. I would much rather live around gangsters and hardened criminals than religious zealots ,so Phoenix is a good place for me. I have adjusted well to Phoenix.

I always tell people that Phoenix is much better than just about all of Texas. The reason why is that both east and west Texas are filled with religious zealots. In Texas religious finatics have basically gained a foothold on the state.

In Arizona criminals and corrupt officials have been able to gain more of a foothold than the religious finatics and I like that. I think there are alot of other people out there that also like being free of religious zealots.

If you come to AZ you will eventually become immune to all of the crime and corruption than goes on in Arizona. Arizona is a corrupt and crime ridden state but it is a state with survivable crime and corruption.

New Mexico is a state with unsurvivable crime and corruption.

Arizona is a great place to live once you adjust to all of the crime and curruption that goes on out here.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22
As for the crime- in most places, the logic applies that it's more who you associate with and what you do than the overall crime rate. For instance, in Detroit, as long as you don't wander into a bad neighborhood late at night, you're probably OK. But what's scary about Phoenix is, here it genuinely doesn't work that way. The crime here is just so random, senseless, and widespread compared to anywhere else I've been. The number of people I see who are just innocent victims, in the wrong place at the wrong time when some methhead derelict or some gangster decides they want to take an innocent life for no reason is frightening, and disheartening. I've seen nowhere like Phoenix where that seems to happen with such regularity.
Maybe so, I haven't even visited Phoenix in about 5 years. I live (for now) on Flint's East side - anyone familiar with this area will tell you it's regarded as, well - BAD. In the last week, two little girls were shot - one killed - while riding in the back of a car (bullets meant for someone else) and three innocent people were stabbed to death in the nearby town of Lapeer - a nice, rural little community. Another man was shot and killed yesterday while he slept, after he'd testified against a teenage repeat arsonist. There can be random, innocent victims anywhere, I guess.

But - in Flint proper - the murder rate might be high, but last year almost 90% of those killed in the city were young, black and there was inevitably drugs and/or alcohol involved, and they were killed by their peers. So I see what you are saying, and agree - mostly it really does depend on who one hangs out with. Maybe Phoenix is different because it's such a big sprawling city with no center? And, at least meth isn't much of a problem here, that's an awful drug.

I do go to the local neighborhood crimewatch community meetings, and even in a nasty part of a city there's really a lot of good folks - those are the ones to associate with. I paid cash for my house (real estate is incredibly cheap) and am living here while I save money to move and pay cash for a better house somewhere else. I'm damned if I'm going to be intimidated by drug addled thugs who contribute nothing to society!

I've heard great things about Madison, never spent time there. I'm not saying it's a bad place to live in forever, but letting fear dictate one's life decisions seems a bit sad and boring.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelling_paws
Maybe so, I haven't even visited Phoenix in about 5 years. I live (for now) on Flint's East side - anyone familiar with this area will tell you it's regarded as, well - BAD. In the last week, two little girls were shot - one killed - while riding in the back of a car (bullets meant for someone else) and three innocent people were stabbed to death in the nearby town of Lapeer - a nice, rural little community. Another man was shot and killed yesterday while he slept, after he'd testified against a teenage repeat arsonist. There can be random, innocent victims anywhere, I guess.

But - in Flint proper - the murder rate might be high, but last year almost 90% of those killed in the city were young, black and there was inevitably drugs and/or alcohol involved, and they were killed by their peers. So I see what you are saying, and agree - mostly it really does depend on who one hangs out with. Maybe Phoenix is different because it's such a big sprawling city with no center? And, at least meth isn't much of a problem here, that's an awful drug.

I do go to the local neighborhood crimewatch community meetings, and even in a nasty part of a city there's really a lot of good folks - those are the ones to associate with. I paid cash for my house (real estate is incredibly cheap) and am living here while I save money to move and pay cash for a better house somewhere else. I'm damned if I'm going to be intimidated by drug addled thugs who contribute nothing to society!

I've heard great things about Madison, never spent time there. I'm not saying it's a bad place to live in forever, but letting fear dictate one's life decisions seems a bit sad and boring.
As a native of MI, I certainly can't disagree with you about Flint. That place is a nightmare. I recall that there was a billboard next to I-75, south of the city years ago, that read: "Welcome to Flint. Please be careful". It did, up until recently, have the 2nd-highest murder rate per capita in the nation, I believe, second to Gary, IN. Flint might actually be one of the few places I've been that I like less than Phoenix.

Those stories are grisly, but try these on for size:
- A 25-year old woman, college-educated, good job, good citizen, standing in her Aunt's driveway a little after midnight, having a conversation. Carload of gangbangers drives by and shoots her dead for no **** reason- she just looked like a good target, I guess. Maybe she was wearing the wrong colors.

- A forty-something small business owner who also owns rental properties meets someone who claims to be interested in a rental. Once inside, several men go in after him, beat the guy to death, and steal his car. Once again, no motive- just an innocent guy thinking he's going out to show his property to a prospective renter.

- A 22-year-old man walks out of a bar one night- in a pretty nice part of town, mind you- when some "G" walks up and shoots him in the face, unprovoked. He's never seen the guy before, no motive, no reason, probably a gang initiation thing. Security guard chases him, so he shoots the security guard too, jumps in a car and gets away. Again, no **** reason at all- just in the wrong place at the wrong time and looked like a good target.

This is just a sample, these things happened within a couple of weeks of each other. But this stuff is routine in Phoenix. If you haven't watched the news, there are 2 maniacs on the loose randomly victimizing people for doing nothing in particular. And this is one of the reasons I hate it so much here- the crime isn't confined to bad neighborhoods, and you don't have to be doing something bad for something terrible to happen to you. In Phoenix, I could just go out to the grocery store one day, and maybe someone decides it would be fun to go shoot someone for no reason, like in these cases, and that'd be the end of me. I don't know why stuff like this happens here with such alarming frequency, but it does. I just hope I survive another year, at which time I'll leave this godforsaken place and never look back.

Old 07-22-2006, 05:54 PM

Steve, that is pretty bad. Maybe the thugs in Flint don't have the organized intelligence to form gangs, instead they just mindlessly get wasted and kill each other. I tend to unpolitically-correctly cheer when one idiot kills another and gets locked up for life. I figure that's two lowlifes taken out of the gene pool...
I think Flint was down to number 3 or 4 in murders per capita last year. Woo hoo. I'm saving for enough to pay cash in a whole 'nother state, I am not impressed with the midwest, having lived here for almost five years now.
Yes, I've read about the two separate maniacs shooting people, that is awful. It's hitting the news here too. Hope they get a break and catch them soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area