Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 09:32 AM

963 posts, read 2,304,906 times

Advertisements

I found the summer heat bearable after getting thru my first summer in Phoenix. It is a dry heat so unlike the humidity here in NYC where you will be sweating in the 80's, you can be dry in the low 100's here. I kept a good attitude about it, got out early in the day to do some walking and got used to it pretty quickly. As a photographer, I became quite comfortable walking all over downtown Phoenix during most of the summer even during midday. I covered up to avoid sunburn (hat, long sleeve all cotton shirt, sun screen sunglasses) and paced myself, taking water breaks. I did not push myself beyond my limits.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:46 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,772,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
This is not meant to be sarcastic at all, but a real question: If it is so gawdawful hot there--and I really have never been there but am interested--why do so many move there? It seems folks there are stuck in the air conditioning for 4-5 months of the year. Can someone clarify this for me?
I'm seriously looking to move there because there are so many baby boomers there, but people in the Midwest keep telling me how hot it is there and that I will not like it.
The Phoenix region surely has to be better for my allergies than Houston was where I had cold-like symptoms way more than I ever should have had.
But, if people are getting stuck living in their homes for 4-5 months of the year due to the heat, that's just like living in Chicago where folks get stuck in the house for 4-5 months of the year due to the chilling cold. Dang!
It isnt that bad and I would rather have the heat than 6 months of heater or oil usage. You can actually turn the AC off when we get some cooler swings. We have yet to turn ours on. Next week it looks like the 100 degree heat is here and we will have to yield to it. Why would you think we are stuck in our homes? We sit outside in the evenings and watch the Monsoons when they hit. They also make portable air conditioning now.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:43 AM

284 posts, read 702,087 times
I think the sunshine is a big part of the appeal. It really does lift your spirits.
This will be our third summer in Phoenix. You do learn to cope. Get groceries/do errands in the morning. Park your car facing away from the sun and cover the steering wheel/gear shift with a white towel. Keep the AC set at 80 during the day so you don't catch a cold. We walk after sunset and when it gets too hot to do that we mall walk.
We live in Mesa, and summer means no snowbirds, so the lines at the grocery are much shorter, restaurants are less crowded, driving is safer, so in some ways summer is better!

Old 05-12-2010, 12:00 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,647,750 times
I grew up back east and it was miserable-always too cold or too humid.
You learn to live with the heat and work with it....as for allergies not being so bad out here I dont know about that. Plants and trees are pretty bad here. My son has to take lots of allergy medicine during the springtime. Even I, who does not have allergies, get a bit of the effects of them when its windy during spring.
But about the heat...some people just aren't cut out for it.
If it was really that intolerable there would not be millions of people living out here.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:57 PM

123 posts, read 354,783 times
because of jobs..a lot of companies have offices in Phoenix since there are few natural disasters that would interrupt work.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:29 PM

963 posts, read 2,304,906 times
Living in an area where the only complaint you have about the weather is the heat is not a bad thing! You never have to shovel, the car lasts longer--no salted highways or potholes, and other than an occasional dust storm during monsoon season you are pretty much disaster free. There is a swimming pool every 50 feet in Phoenix and if you want to escape the heat for a day, drive to Flagstaff! Plus, you actually look forward to rain. That's sounds pretty nice to me!

Old 05-12-2010, 06:25 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,579,858 times
I really got it down to Florida or Arizona, and the many natural disasters in Florida really bothers me.
I lost a new car and a room in my house--plus, I'm sure the many torrential storms didn't help--in Houston due to flooding.
I've been in a tornado that mowed down 3 homes across the very street from the house I was in during it once when I was visiting family in the Little Rock, Arkansas, area.
Where I am now at the Iowa-Illlinois border had a derecho last September, and, yeah, I didn't know what that was either; but a derecho is a low-lying tornado that hits cornfield country (which is here), and it ruined alot of major old trees that crashed into cars and homes here. We lost electricity for 10 days. My mother lived here for 57 years and this is the first time anything like that has happened here! Weathermen say that with global warming there will be more and more derechos, too...oh, brother, more fun.

So, I am reallllllly not enthused about going thru any more natural disasters as you can surmise.

I'm really glad you guys mentioned the natural disaster subject, because it is definitely on my mind. And then there is the matter of the native Floridians saying not to buy a condo there due to all the condo owners losing jobs (you have to worry about them not paying HOA or repairs, because they don't have the money). Just too many problems with condos they say. In fact, it seems as if it's one problem or another with condos in Florida if you get on the Florida board and look for any time. Scary somewhat.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:53 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,884,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I really got it down to Florida or Arizona, and the many natural disasters in Florida really bothers me.
I lost a new car and a room in my house--plus, I'm sure the many torrential storms didn't help--in Houston due to flooding.
I've been in a tornado that mowed down 3 homes across the very street from the house I was in during it once when I was visiting family in the Little Rock, Arkansas, area.
Where I am now at the Iowa-Illlinois border had a derecho last September, and, yeah, I didn't know what that was either; but a derecho is a low-lying tornado that hits cornfield country (which is here), and it ruined alot of major old trees that crashed into cars and homes here. We lost electricity for 10 days. My mother lived here for 57 years and this is the first time anything like that has happened here! Weathermen say that with global warming there will be more and more derechos, too...oh, brother, more fun.

So, I am reallllllly not enthused about going thru any more natural disasters as you can surmise.

I'm really glad you guys mentioned the natural disaster subject, because it is definitely on my mind. And then there is the matter of the native Floridians saying not to buy a condo there due to all the condo owners losing jobs (you have to worry about them not paying HOA or repairs, because they don't have the money). Just too many problems with condos they say. In fact, it seems as if it's one problem or another with condos in Florida if you get on the Florida board and look for any time. Scary somewhat.
Were you miserable at all this past winter where you live now? The heat in AZ is not like the heat in the midwest, Arkansas, Houston, or Florida. You don't have to buy unless you are sure, plenty of rentals out there...until you decide where you want to be. I think you may have answered your own questions

Old 05-13-2010, 01:24 AM

23,283 posts, read 29,140,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post

Another consideration is the humidity. In the midwestern summers your humidity probably approaches 80-99%. My Dad and I went to visit friends in rural Ark. in July '05. The temps were in the high 80s, the humidity in the 90%+ range. Walking outside was exhausting. I couldn't wait to get back to Phoenix where the temps were 110, but the humidity was nil.
Let's do some calculations here, using the People's Almanac Heat/Feel Index.

85 with 90% humidity: Feels like 102
90 with 90% humidity: Feels like 122.
95 with 80% humidity: Feels like 136

Flip side:

85 with 10% humidity: Feels like 80
85 with 20% humidity: Feels like 82
95 with 10% humidity: Feels like 90
110 with 10% humidity: Feels like 105

People from other areas of the country forever bashing the SW for their heat numbers, would never stop to think, even for a minute, their suffering is far worse.

Being cooped up in summer? I used to coop myself up in summer in the Midwest just to protect myself from mosquito's, gnats and woodticks. And, the many number of 110+ heat index days.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:31 AM

896 posts, read 268,701 times
Shorts and tee-shirts year round! Winter Jacket? What's that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area