Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:58 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I took your shot and made some adjustments. First of all, it is a great shot to begin with -- if you start out with a crappy picture, no matter how much you adjust it, it'll still be crappy. A shallow depth of field, like you have, is very pleasing in portait images. So you've got the hardest part done.

My main critique would be the lack of contrast in the B&W image. I like my B&W shots with more contrast, so that would be my first "fix". However, I do not use the Exposure/Contrast fix in Photoshop. I find the Levels and Curves adjustments to be more powerful.
  1. Crop
  2. Levels
  3. Curves (used a layer mask to keep the eyes free of the Curves adjustment)
  4. Sharpening
  5. Frame
Basic:
Attachment 5447

Midnight effect (using nik Color Efex Pro 2):
Attachment 5448

Sepia tone (using nik Color Efex Pro 2):
Attachment 5449

I'll post separately about the framing effect -- it is actually several commands/effects that I've recorded as a single action.
Those are great. Love the sepia and that midnight effect is nice too. I'd played with some of the lighting, but liked the darker shadows on the 'down' side of her face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 12:01 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I'd played with some of the lighting, but liked the darker shadows on the 'down' side of her face.
Lighting is one of the hardest things to play with in my mind. Our first though often is that we want everything in a picture to be well-lit and clear. But once you start looking at it from an artistic perspective, you realize that maybe it is better to leave some parts dark, blurred, or unclear, to create a contrast against the well-lit, clear areas.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Now you see just how much room I have for improvement!

Here's the color one.

As you see, the B&W seems to help cover all my rookie ignorance.

Also, I'd post the EXIF data but can't seem to find a way to copy/paste it.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/forjerz/IMG_2374_original_sized.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-18-2007, 01:12 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,342 times
BEAUTIFUL pic Alpha. Black and whites are awesome and she is a beauty!

Old 07-18-2007, 02:21 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,424,940 times
Very nice picture Alph and hope you post more of her-she is gorgeous.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Very nice picture Alph and hope you post more of her-she is gorgeous.
Thanks I will.

I'm in a bit of a quandary at this point.

Most of my pictures are at my home office machine, where only dial-up is available for uploading.

My high-speed here at my office is great, but my pics are elsewhere. I smell the need for an external hard drive, eh????

Old 07-18-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks I will.

I'm in a bit of a quandary at this point.

Most of my pictures are at my home office machine, where only dial-up is available for uploading.

My high-speed here at my office is great, but my pics are elsewhere. I smell the need for an external hard drive, eh????
Or get a thumb drive. I think they make 'em pretty big nowadays. Or you can also get what looks like a thumb drive (plugs into a USB port), but has a slot on the side where you can insert an SD of a CF card. Then you can use your camera's card to transfer. I use a 2GB SD card in my camera -- and I also use that SD card with the "thumb drive" to transfer large files between computers.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Here's the color one.
Looking at the color version, I don't know if there's much more to be gleaned. The colors are generally very close between the skin tone, background, and towel. The different B&W conversion methods come in handy when you have complementary colors.

For instance, here's a color image:
Critique: One of Alpha's pics-dsc_0546.jpg

If I do a regular desaturate using Photoshop, here's what I get -- kind of bland:
Critique: One of Alpha's pics-dsc_0546_2.jpg

But if instead I use the Channel Mixer (Gray output channel, 100% Red source channel), this is what I get -- quite a difference, wouldn't you say?
Critique: One of Alpha's pics-dsc_0546_3.jpg

However, with the color version you posted, Channel Mixer doesn't produce results that are much different from what we got with just adjusting Levels and Curves.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:40 PM

Alpha, since you asked, here's how I make the frame.

I use Photoshop CS2, so I don't know if you have all these commands/effects in Photoshop Elements (or if they don't, you may have to use some tricks or shortcuts to recreate some of them).

I have these recorded as one action, so when I need to create the frame, I just press one button and it's done.

Anyway, so here are the commands and parameters for each:
  1. Flatten image
    • Parameters: none
    • I need a flat image (i.e. no layers) to create a frame. I could modify the action so that it works with layers, but it'd be too complicated and not worth it for my use.
  2. Make snapshot
    • This is helpful to keep a copy of the image before creating the frame -- just in case I need to undo it.
  3. Duplicate current layer
  4. Delete background
    • Some of the effects I apply cannot be applied to a Background layer. That is why I duplicate the Background layer (previous step) and delete the Background layer.
  5. Set Layer style
    • Parameters:
      • Inner shadow
      • Mode: Multiply
      • Opacity: 75%
      • Distance: 5 pixels
      • Choke: 0 pixels
      • Size: 5 pixels
      • Local angle: 120
      • Anti-alias: on
      • Outer Glow
      • Mode: Normal
      • Opacity: 100%
      • Technique: Precise
      • Spread: 100 pixels
      • Size: 1 pixel
      • Bevel & Emboss
      • Style: Inner bevel
      • Technique: Smooth
      • Direction: Up
      • Local angle: 135
      • Local altitude: 142
      • Depth: 131%
      • Size: 10 pixels
      • Soften: 5 pixels
      • Highlight mode: Multiply
      • Highlight opacity: 75%
      • Shadow mode: Multiply
      • Shadow opacity: 75%
    • All these settings can be accessed by right-clicking on the Layer and selecting "Blending options...". All these effects create a border around the picture and the shadow effect on all four sides.
  6. Make layer
    • This simply creates a new layer -- this layer will hold the frame.
  7. Canvas size
    • Parameters:
      • Width: 200 pixels
      • Height: 200 pixels
      • Relative: on
      • Anchor: center
    • This expands the canvas of the image by 200 pixels in all directions -- this is the frame.
  8. Fill
    • Parameters:
      • Using: foreground color
    • This fills in the frame with the foreground color. The "From" option is where the fill starts from -- a 1x1 starting position ensures that that spot will always be within the canvas borders, no matter the size of the original image (otherwise the fill may try to paint outside the image border). Since the frame is painted with the foreground color, if I want a frame of a different color, I simply choose a different foreground color before running the frame command.
  9. Move current layer
    • Parameter:
      • To layer 0
    • This is simply moving the current layer (the frame layer) to the background. Remember when we created the new frame layer and painted it (steps 6-8), it stayed as the top layer -- the image was in the layer underneath. So this step simply moves the frame layer under the image layer.
  10. Set Layer style
    • Parameters:
      • Inner glow
      • Mode: Normal
      • Opacity: 100%
      • Technique: Precise
      • Size: 1 pixel
      • Choke: 100 pixels
    • This simply adds a black border to the outline of the frame.
  11. Flatten image:
    • This simply flattens the image and the frame layer into one. Since the framing is usually my last action on an image, I always flatten it anyway, so I just built it into my action. If you think you'll be tweaking the frame afterward, you may want to leave this step out.
There may well be much easier ways to create a frame, but this is what I use. I know Photoshop CS2 has some preset actions for creating frames, but I like this one because (a) I can control every aspect myself, and (b) I like this simple framing instead of the fancy, over-elaborate preset frames.
PS CS2 also allows you to determine if it should pause at any step of the action for the user to manipulate any dialog box. I often do so with step 7 -- this way, when running the action, it stops at step 7 and asks me what size to extend the canvas by, letting me choose how big/thick I want the frame to be. This is useful when framing very large or very small images, when a 200-pixel frame may be too small or too large.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Looking at the color version, I don't know if there's much more to be gleaned. The colors are generally very close between the skin tone, background, and towel. The different B&W conversion methods come in handy when you have complementary colors.

For instance, here's a color image:
Attachment 5461

If I do a regular desaturate using Photoshop, here's what I get -- kind of bland:
Attachment 5462

But if instead I use the Channel Mixer (Gray output channel, 100% Red source channel), this is what I get -- quite a difference, wouldn't you say?
Attachment 5463

However, with the color version you posted, Channel Mixer doesn't produce results that are much different from what we got with just adjusting Levels and Curves.
That's really good info, right there.

Thanks Fuzz. That last picture reminds me of the pictures I've seen of my pro-photographer BIL who shoots some in infra-red.

Very surreal and I really like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography