Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 03:42 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,833,752 times

Advertisements

Apparently I'm camera phobic or something. Anybody else have this issue? I think I look weird/different in pictures. People tell me I look much better in person but I kind of would like my photos to turn out well too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 03:52 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1987 View Post
Apparently I'm camera phobic or something. Anybody else have this issue? I think I look weird/different in pictures. People tell me I look much better in person but I kind of would like my photos to turn out well too.
I have the same problem with mirrors. It is hard to capture the inner essence without the crusty old exterior getting in the way. Whereas in person you can project the true you with charm and mind molding techniques.

Funny thing about in real person is how little people observe your normal everyday appearance. It is all in how you carry yourself. You can even be invisible if you want.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:55 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,926,814 times
It might be a lighting issue. Some people are photogenic and some people aren't i suppose. Girls care about bad photos of them more then guys do.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:14 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
You see yourself only in the reverse, because you only see yourself in mirrors. In pictures you see yourself the way others do.

But, if your like me, you take crummy pics. Almost everyone has commented that I look better in person. So I take MORE pics, cause some of them turn out good eventually. Do a home photo shoot, play with angles and lighting and poses.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:29 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
I'm just old and not as shinny as I once was..that was a problem back then I reflected a lot of light.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:38 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1987 View Post
First, one needs to get a very good grasp of the significance that a photograph is not and never will be "reality". Instead it's a slice of time, at some given angle, with a certain perspective, exposure, contrast, color balance, etc etc. In going from the actual scene to what you view, the photographer's imagination is at work. And that is an inherently traumatic transformation too! First we slice off all of life before that instant, and then we ignore all after too. We stop all motion; and we make a 3 dimensional object reflect the light we wish a viewer to see from a 2 dimensional source. And after all that surgery on reality, we say, "That's Joe!" Except it isn't, and isn't even close...

It's worth reading an essay by Susan Sontag titled "On Photography" to get a deeper perspective. Photography affects the way society views actions that are violent, and it is violent in itself! Sontag said "To photograph people is to violate them, by seeing them as they never see themselves, by having knowledge of them that they can never have; it turns people into objects that can be symbolically possessed. Just as a camera is a sublimation of the gun, to photograph someone is a subliminal murder - a soft murder, appropriate to a sad, frightened time."

So the trick for a portrait photographer is to find exactly the right slice of time, the one that emphasizes the desired characteristics rather than the undesired ones. And many times it isn't easy simply because a still photograph is just that, still; and the person is animated, with personality that comes from body language, movements, and things that do not reflect light. Picking a moment when what does reflect light matches what doesn't... is the crux.

Sometimes it reveals things of interest. Several years ago I worked with a fellow who I thought of as one of the most pleasant, easy going, nice to be around people I had ever met. How nice. Then I happened to have the occasion to shoot half dozen or so pics of him at an event, and was really in for a surprise. Stop the action, take away body language and motion... and this guy was on of the most physically intimidating people I've ever photographed! Then it dawned on me how and why he had developed such a pleasant personality! He had to be twice as nice as anyone else, or he'd scare off everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography