Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:28 AM

8 posts, read 29,466 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a digital camera that is small, light weight, auto focus; should be easy to use; I am not looking to do any professional photography; just a family vacation camera.

Currently I own a Sony T-5 (5 MP). It worked well for the last 4 years but lately the pictures are not so sharp/clear.

Any suggestions....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 11:17 AM

4,534 posts, read 8,349,009 times
Not sure what your budget is, but the Canon Powershot series are pretty good. I've had two of them and never regretted it. I've since moved on to a larger camera though. But if all you're looking for is a point and shoot then I would recommend those.

Have you noticed this problem while shooting in good lighting?

Old 09-24-2009, 11:17 AM

106,843 posts, read 109,092,448 times
Cannon sd980 looks good for a point and shoot, i have the sd880 and it gives my nikon d300 a run for the money in good lighting

Old 09-24-2009, 04:32 PM

24,774 posts, read 28,558,890 times
Canon Sx10is one step down from the Rebel... If your not sure about getting involved with a DLSR then the Canon SX10is ~ SX20is ~ SX1is.... is the way to go....

Old 09-24-2009, 04:39 PM

106,843 posts, read 109,092,448 times
i did this with the cannon sd880 point and shoot, right out of camera, vivid, -2/3 exposure, auto iso, cloudy white balance

http://mm-photography.smugmug.com/photos/649079763_RcGt4-L.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-25-2009, 05:26 AM

10,215 posts, read 17,906,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RB View Post
I am looking to buy a digital camera that is small, light weight, auto focus; should be easy to use; I am not looking to do any professional photography; just a family vacation camera.
There are a LOT of cameras that fit that description so a budget and preferences on other features would help narrow it down. For example, what kind of focal length/zoom would you prefer? Keep the mind that in general, the smaller the camera, the less zoom it has. Canon's Powershot SD line which has been recommend is great (I have one myself) but they are among some of the most compact cameras and therefore usually only have a zoom of 3-4x.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:42 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,823,025 times
For my smaller camera, I have a Canon Powershot A590 that I love. It's a little easier to hang onto and work the controls of than some of the even smaller Canons and has a lot of good features, including the capability of shooting manual if you want. But again, it has the shorter zoom of 3-4x.

My Canon SX10 IS is midway between that and a DSLR. Some might say it's a waste of money if you're only going to use it in Auto, but it still has a 20x zoom with a wide angle lens that goes from 28 mm to 540 mm. That covers a lot of types of shooting, isn't too heavy and is easy to hold onto and maneuver. The only problem is that it's too big to stick in your purse or pocket. It's such a joy for me to use, though, that I don't care!

Old 09-25-2009, 08:46 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,218,772 times
Before I got my Canon, I had a little pocket Polaroid (i733) and it took some pretty good pictures for a point & shoot. Has a slot for an SD card and is good with not killing batteries. Has video option as well. On sale, they can be found for about $50. HTH.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:01 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,555,968 times
I have a camera phone I love. It's super easy to use. The megapixels are low but there are far better ones out there now. I'm coming up on my two year contract anniversary, so I plan on upgrading.

My phone also has internet access, which is great but I'd like upgrade that feature also, due to my phone's current limitations.

I own a real camera but the phone is ultra light & super stealthy. I can use it to take pictures of pages from craft books. That way, I don't buy a book that only has one or two things I"m interested in. I can just take pictures of the pages that interest me. (Jewelry craft/design.) Also, I can take pictures of things in stores that are inspiring for crafts or to remind me later to go back & buy something after I investigate more.

Kate

Old 09-25-2009, 10:29 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,758,682 times
Before I got my first DSLR, I bought an Olympus C4000 Zoom. One thing I made sure to look for was lots of optical zoom, which the Olympus had plenty of. That was a surprisingly good camera, and since then I've also had great luck with Canon DSLRs. I also had a tiny Nikon, but never could warm up to it. The lens was just to small to give very good images, but it was adequate for general use. Granted, by then I was used to a DSLR and the Nikon was their cheapest model, so I knew not to expect much. It was really handy for video, though. Honestly, you'll probably get a decent camera regardless of the brand, as long as it's one of the name brands. You just have to decide what features you need most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography