Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 12:01 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,167,927 times

Advertisements

I am been photographing for years. I have the eye, love it as a hobby and have been fortunate to have some photographs published. So it pains me that I am VERY un-photogenic. A decent photograph of me is rare. I really shy away from getting my photo taken and its causing a problem now as my husband complains that our children will never have any photos of me after Im dead and gone. I do admit its a problem. There are many holidays its everyone but me.

I am attractive but you would never know it from photographs. I have physical characteristics that simply are bad for photographing. All of these oddities add up to troll in photography.

I take photos of myself and some turn out decent but they need a little photoshop mostly. Black and white, sepia and a slight blur really help. A straight up snapshot is horrible. This of course is where the problem is, someone else will have the camera and that is where things go very badly. My mother-n-law is camera happy and a horrible photographer. She puts my pictures in photo albums and shows distant relatives. These relatives will meet me in person finally and I always get the same question. "Wow honey, did u lose weight?"

So here is a list of my troll features. Any tips on how to look like a human?

I have a round face shape. Close ups are not my friend.
I have small eyes that turn to slits if I smile which makes me look like I had a few drinks too many. If I don't smile I look mad.
I have a large bust. Frontal shots make me look obese. Side shots, depends on the shirt can look worse.
I have a short neck, if I am looking downward at all, I have a double chin.

Tips anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 02:36 AM

10,217 posts, read 17,920,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
So here is a list of my troll features. Any tips on how to look like a human?

I have a round face shape. Close ups are not my friend.
Don't turn your face straight into the camera, angle it slightly, about 45 degrees from the camera so it's not a profile but not straight on either. Like this: Danielle on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/robinmcnallyphotography/3751849051/in/set-72157621805966590/ - broken link)
But your eyes don't have to be looking away from the camera, they can be turned back to look into the camera - just be careful not to turn your face too far so your eyes are straining to look back.

If you're doing a self portrait where you have control of the lighting rather than someone else taking a snapshot, use short lighting, not broad. Short lighting is when the side of your face which is towards the camera is mostly in shadow - broad lighting is the opposite, lit side of your face is towards the camera.

Quote:
I have small eyes that turn to slits if I smile which makes me look like I had a few drinks too many. If I don't smile I look mad.
Don't give a full smile - go for a faint but soft smile, lips closed and turned up only partially. Like this (this is my own self portrait): Self Portrait on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/robinmcnallyphotography/3752216577/in/set-72157621805966590/ - broken link)

Quote:
I have a large bust. Frontal shots make me look obese. Side shots, depends on the shirt can look worse.
Again, position your body so it's pointing at a 45 degree angle from the camera - right inbetween a side shot and full frontal.

Quote:
I have a short neck, if I am looking downward at all, I have a double chin.
Lift your chin! Again, if you have control of the lighting, use short light - butterfly lighting would be best to hide a double chin but that's not ideal for round faces.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:54 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,167,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Don't turn your face straight into the camera, angle it slightly, about 45 degrees from the camera so it's not a profile but not straight on either. Like this: Danielle on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/robinmcnallyphotography/3751849051/in/set-72157621805966590/ - broken link)
But your eyes don't have to be looking away from the camera, they can be turned back to look into the camera - just be careful not to turn your face too far so your eyes are straining to look back.

If you're doing a self portrait where you have control of the lighting rather than someone else taking a snapshot, use short lighting, not broad. Short lighting is when the side of your face which is towards the camera is mostly in shadow - broad lighting is the opposite, lit side of your face is towards the camera.

Don't give a full smile - go for a faint but soft smile, lips closed and turned up only partially. Like this (this is my own self portrait): Self Portrait on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/robinmcnallyphotography/3752216577/in/set-72157621805966590/ - broken link)

Again, position your body so it's pointing at a 45 degree angle from the camera - right inbetween a side shot and full frontal.

Lift your chin! Again, if you have control of the lighting, use short light - butterfly lighting would be best to hide a double chin but that's not ideal for round faces.
Thanks for the tips! I like how you added the photos so I could see what you are talking about. Great shots by the way.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:55 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,267,784 times
I also feel like I am attractive but not photogenic. I think the best pictures of me are when the photographer just takes pictures, especially wehn I'm doing something and am not posed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography