Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:33 PM

227 posts, read 503,049 times

Advertisements

I noticed there isn't very many photos with people as the subject. Is it the legal aspect (no model release) or simply that not too many people here photograph people?

Just curious... I have some "people photos" but I've been hesitant to post them here so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 11:10 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
I flat out stink at photographing people. The only people I can get passing photos from are my kids. I know what their expressions are going to be and can catch the little "tell-tails" of when they are going to giving that big smile or surprised look; so I can catch them. Others... not so much. I don't post people photos because mine are not worth posting ANYWHERE.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:15 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
I don't know if there's a forum policy against it. I won't post photos of people (especially not children) just because I have a major privacy issue. I don't personally know anyone that would be comfortable about having their photo on internet. Sometimes it's inevitable that a stranger might be in one of my photos that I'm posting but they're usually distant enough that they're not identifiable. If their face is identifiable I blur it out thoroughly so they wouldn't be recognized. That's just me though, other people's mileage may vary and my preferences aren't a criticism of anyone who chooses to post pictures of themself or other people.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:34 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Sometimes people are in my photos but seldom as a main object. I am not good in photographing people; occasionally I will take a shot of a street performances but that's about it. Of course I take family pictures, but I would not post them on the Internet

Old 02-21-2010, 03:00 AM

F.B.I.

Female Body Inspector
Attached Thumbnails
Photos of People-fbi-medium-.jpg  

Old 02-21-2010, 05:02 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
its not a release issue at all as any legally taken photo can be posted with no release needed as long as its used in the origional context and not used to promote another thought, product or idea othern then what its a picture of.

the truth is most of us dont find other people interesting unless its a shot thats special, interesting or conveys some emotion......

the other thing is good people shots require alot of lighting work. we all are sensitive to skin color and can see in a second if the skin color is off... objects have greater latitude for amatuer photographers,

non the less you want people shots heres a few.

TIMES SQUARE

CONEY ISLAND

http://mm-photography.smugmug.com/Other/CONEY-ISLAND/MCJ0972Enhancer/657451165_wd7BK-L.jpg (broken link)
A BOARDWALK DANCER-CONEY ISLAND

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-21-2010 at 05:48 AM..

Old 02-21-2010, 05:57 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,463,918 times
Photonoob, I am a huge fan of street photography. I have been doing alot of reading on it actually. The subject has to tell a story, its all about conveying a story through the expression of the person captured. Good street photography shouldnt need a title to explain what the image is, the image should speak for itself. I have much more studying to do on subject, and then I need to hit the streets shooting ! Ill post a few of mine when I feel I have the concept down a little more solid

Old 02-21-2010, 07:26 PM

227 posts, read 503,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Photonoob, I am a huge fan of street photography. I have been doing alot of reading on it actually. The subject has to tell a story, its all about conveying a story through the expression of the person captured. Good street photography shouldnt need a title to explain what the image is, the image should speak for itself. I have much more studying to do on subject, and then I need to hit the streets shooting ! Ill post a few of mine when I feel I have the concept down a little more solid
Looking forward to seeing some!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:32 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
I enjoy looking at people shots, but am pretty shy about taking them. I am always sensitive about invading someone else's privacy by taking their photo on the street but I love to look at other's street photos of people. If I get a camera with a very good telephoto lens I might start taking some myself, but only from a long distance.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:01 PM

Default "Dog sledding" - Poland :)

Attached Thumbnails
Photos of People-dog-sledding-modified.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography