Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:33 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Why can’t and don’t people approach the topic of race as they do the topic of politics? I mean…..when I have a debate or discussion about race it’s no different for me than a discussion about politics and parties. Do you dislike or hate someone because they are Liberal or conservative? I know I certainly do not. It seem that people feel that one cannot talk about race without assuming that someone (usually the black person) in the debate is angry and full of hate.

I certainly can’t speak for black people but most of the black people that I know approach the topic of race no differently than whites approach the topic of politics or the divisions that exist between conservatives and liberals. I enjoy white people and their company just as much as I enjoy black people and their company. Most whites I meet like me and I like them, just like liberals and conservatives often like people who are of a different political ideology.

Why can’t people discuss race as freely as they discuss politics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 01:06 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Why can’t and don’t people approach the topic of race as they do the topic of politics? I mean…..when I have a debate or discussion about race it’s no different for me than a discussion about politics and parties. Do you dislike or hate someone because they are Liberal or conservative? I know I certainly do not. It seem that people feel that one cannot talk about race without assuming that someone (usually the black person) in the debate is angry and full of hate.

I certainly can’t speak for black people but most of the black people that I know approach the topic of race no differently than whites approach the topic of politics or the divisions that exist between conservatives and liberals. I enjoy white people and their company just as much as I enjoy black people and their company. Most whites I meet like me and I like them, just like liberals and conservatives often like people who are of a different political ideology.

Why can’t people discuss race as freely as they discuss politics?
First, how many people REALLY want to discuss race?

Second, how many people REALLY want to discuss race HONESTLY?

Third, most White Americans can talk about race but very few have experienced the level of racism many Black Americans have faced. In others word in most cases White Americans talk about race from the perspective of the racism from the outside looking in. Most Black Americans talk about racism from the inside looking out. The two often completely different perspectives make common ground often difficult to find.

Fourth many White Americans are extremely reluctant about discussing the history of race and how it affects the current dynamics of race in America today. Some don’t even want to know the history. Many White Americans believe these past events have no effect on the social and economic conditions Black Americans face today.

Fifth even if race and racism are discussed hardly any White Americans want to discuss the issue of White Privilege and how it affects the social and economic dynamics in America today.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:11 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

Third, most White Americans can talk about race but very few have experienced the level of racism many Black Americans have faced. In others word in most cases White Americans talk about race from the perspective of the racism from the outside looking in. Most Black Americans talk about racism from the inside looking out. The two often completely different perspectives make common ground often difficult to find.

Fourth many White Americans are extremely reluctant about discussing the history of race and how it affects the current dynamics of race in America today. Some don’t even want to know the history. Many White Americans believe these past events have no effect on the social and economic conditions Black Americans face today.

Fifth even if race and racism are discussed hardly any White Americans want to discuss the issue of White Privilege and how it affects the social and economic dynamics in America today.
Read this post and you have your answer....

Old 08-30-2010, 01:16 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I think people don't want to talk about race for the same reason you don't want to tell your sister why you don't like her new boyfriend.

Even if you say things that are true, there's a good chance you're going to offend. And no one wants to go there.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:21 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

I wish that all people who talk like you and most whites you mention could have known Joe "Tex" Morris. Joe was my best buddy in basic training and he and I always had a great time making, people who didn't know us that we were about to have a fight based on race. Joe had only a high school diploma that he had got the spring before I met him from someplace in Oregon but he knew more about racial relations than anybody I ever have known.

Joe laughed at people of both races, equally, when any kind of racial thing came up. He knew that although he was pretty dark and I wasn't that we both knew we were the same under that skin. He loved life and all the good things he could see in it. Alas, he was never famous and back in 1954 there wasn't a lot of tv and no blogging at all and Joe was never wanting to be famous. Yeah, it was easy to discuss race with Joe since he never worried about being my equal since we both knew he was. I had just graduated from college and he high school but we had much respect and concern for each other. Joe was very dark skinned but he just didn't seem to realize that he was different than me and I loved the kid for being the way he was.

OK, Joe wasn't from some huge city and the inner part of it either. He was from a small town but he was smarter than any of us where race was concerned. I wish you could have known him, Jazzy.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:23 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
You mean with name calling and finger pointing?

Old 08-30-2010, 01:26 PM

[quote=JazzyTallGuy;15688008]First, how many people REALLY want to discuss race?

But why do they want to discuss political divisions between the left and the right? Why are they comfortable discussing heated differences of opinion concerning politics.....but not race?

But why can they discuss politics honestly and not race....or don't they.

This is probably true. Why talk about something that you cannot relate to. One thing that I often here assumed is that blacks are "Angry" and "Hateful" when they talk about it making them feel they cannot have a rational debate. That nearly always is said about me.....but I am hardly angry and have not hate for any group of people.

Well....by talking about it openly (with an open mind) one can test to see if their beliefs hold water. Communication represents an opportunity to learn and grow....especially when the opinions differ from your own.

So in other words.....you are saying that they feel that they have something to lose and little to gain.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:35 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
But why do they want to discuss political divisions between the left and the right? Why are they comfortable discussing heated differences of opinion concerning politics.....but not race?
Let's take a thread title, for instance: Do liberal policies punish wealth, or prevent it?

How many people would hit the report button or cry if it read: Do black policies punish wealth, or prevent it?

Quote:
But why can they discuss politics honestly and not race....or don't they.
Because in the instance of politics, one can choose where to stand on the spectrum based upon their own personal ideas. Last I checked, people can't just choose their race.

Quote:
This is probably true. Why talk about something that you cannot relate to. One thing that I often here assumed is that blacks are "Angry" and "Hateful" when they talk about it making them feel they cannot have a rational debate. That nearly always is said about me.....but I am hardly angry and have not hate for any group of people.
On the same concept, why talk about polygamy, homosexuality, extramerital affairs when you cannot relate to it from lack of experience? Or are people not allowed to speak on those topics until they've experienced or could relate to them?

The same kind of assumptions that get you called "angry" or "hateful" are the same as assumptions that "white people don't care about history".

Quote:
Well....by talking about it openly (with an open mind) one can test to see if their beliefs hold water. Communication represents an opportunity to learn and grow....especially when the opinions differ from your own.
On the flip side, when one labels an entire population with liabilities and consequences (in a negative manner) for things they had no control over - you will not find many who will even give you the time of day.

Quote:
So in other words.....you are saying that they feel that they have something to lose and little to gain.
Or, to be more precise, a good number of "white people" would like to see an even and clear playing field for all who want to play the game of Life.

Edit to add: I'm also sure that you'd find more people willing to have a rational debate over race... if the first post of such a thread didn't have multiple instances of pointing fingers, assumptions, and blame laying at the people you want to debate with. Asking somebody to debate rationally with you while in the same breath announcing that they have a liability and/or consequence laid upon them by the color of their skin... well, quite frankly it's a bore.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 08-30-2010 at 01:49 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 01:42 PM

I don't have a problem with assumptions....but its amazing how many people think I am "Angry". I never understood that. How does one deduce or glean anger from anything I say. I am one of the most laid back forgiving people that you could meet. Which brings me to another point; debate or discussion about race seems to always lead to the perception that black people are asking white people for something.

So based upon those two things.....the assumption is that black are angry about history (those who talk about it) and want something from white people in return....like vengance or compensation. Would things be better if whites understood or a disclaimer was made up front that a person is not angry and is not asking for anything....or expecting it? Granted.....some people may be asking for something and expecting something....however....I certainly am not and have not.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:44 PM

720 posts, read 691,276 times
round and round we go where it stops nobody knows...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies