Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 10:03 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,988,168 times

Advertisements

Comments ideas?

Legalize it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 10:27 AM

196 posts, read 208,842 times
In a free society, drugs should be legal. ALL of them, including experimental pharmaceuticals.
Government has no business telling me what I can put into my own body.

PERIOD

Old 12-01-2010, 10:33 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Outlawing them as such is OK as drug addicts pose a danger to society. But unfortunately it doesn't work, obviously when you look at those millions of addicts in the US alone, who fuel the Mexican gangs.

I am not sure there would be fewer addicts if drugs were legalized. Alcohol is legal, but it still is a major problem.

So in the end one has to ask why so many people still feel a need to take drugs in the first place...

Old 12-02-2010, 09:40 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,988,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Outlawing them as such is OK as drug addicts pose a danger to society. But unfortunately it doesn't work, obviously when you look at those millions of addicts in the US alone, who fuel the Mexican gangs.

I am not sure there would be fewer addicts if drugs were legalized. Alcohol is legal, but it still is a major problem.

So in the end one has to ask why so many people still feel a need to take drugs in the first place...
When drugs were legal no one mainlined heroin. They smoked it or used laudanum. Laudanum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia When you make it illegal then you get the more concentrated forms of the drugs and that leads to bigger problems.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:49 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times
Yeah, all we need is for our society to accept dirt bags and their unsavory behavior. Do you really think the Drug Cartels will just go away? HAHAHA, never in a million years. They will just sell their stuff cheaper. They will NEVER just disappear unless they are all wiped out.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:53 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,054,732 times
At least the Afghan farmers are free to grow Poppy in Afghanistan once again thanks to the occupation. Maybe that's a sign for things to come...............no wait prisons are a big business now in the US I don't think their bribers err lobbyist would allow such a thing.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:54 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,411,375 times
The only reasons to legalize all drugs (that I can think of) is that we can then, like tobacco, start to regulate/tax it - which allows us to have a better grip on the problem (although not a problem-solving type of "grip") and (Most importantly) it take the money out of the drug lords/dealers coffers. If they aren't making money on drugs - then we have no drug war. They will have to find some other sort of illicit activity (of which, rest assured, they will).

Old 12-02-2010, 09:57 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
As I have always said, leagalize them all.. but...

The consequences of their abuse should not be dismissed when they lead to poor actions.

No "but bobby didn't know" and "the drugs got the best of him", etc...

That is, if someone commits a crime that is the result of abuse of these drugs, the penalties should be enormous. No plea bargain, no special considerations, etc...

If you want them legal, then you have to accept the responsibility of them as well.

Unfortunately, I doubt anyone is willing to accept that seriousness of responsibility especially when even the most mundane and obvious faults are refused by people these days.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times
The cartels will not stop dealing in drugs if they were legal. They would just sell them cheaper than the legal places and take the business.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:06 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Obviously the so-called war on drugs is not working! With that being said, I fully support the legalization of marijuana as there are several other uses medicinal and industrial that it can be used for other than just an intoxicant. All though nothing wrong with an occasional toke IMO!

As for some of the harder drugs... I am not so sure, simply because of the addictive nature and what some people will do under the influence or going through the withdrawl symptoms. I do support the treatment of those who are having addiction issues and allow them to get their life in order, instead of throwing them in jail and watching them return to their ways because they are unable to find a job due to a criminal record. For the most part I agree that it is not my right to tell others what they can and cannot put in their body, as long as they aren't causing harm to others, or doing so while driving, or working. But, cocaine, heroin, and meth are some pretty dangerous substances, so I don't know. Meth would be an ABSOLUTE NO, as there really is no medicinal value, as well as it is dangerous to even make it! Then again there are prescription drugs that are legal, and even over the counter drugs, that can be more dangerous than the street drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies