Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:03 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,489,397 times

Advertisements

While in power of both houses of congress and the presidency, Democrats deferred doing their job and passing a spending bill for the current year. In office only a few weeks, Republicians in the house did so, one with a few small actual cuts. While this is going on...the Senate goes on vacation. When they return next week they will have until the end of the week to pass a bill to avoid a government shutdown.

The question is, will the senate do the responsible thing, and pass the house bill? Or will they act like spoiled children, demand their own way, and force a shutdown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 11:46 PM

27 posts, read 24,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
While in power of both houses of congress and the presidency, Democrats deferred doing their job and passing a spending bill for the current year. In office only a few weeks, Republicians in the house did so, one with a few small actual cuts. While this is going on...the Senate goes on vacation. When they return next week they will have until the end of the week to pass a bill to avoid a government shutdown.

The question is, will the senate do the responsible thing, and pass the house bill? Or will they act like spoiled children, demand their own way, and force a shutdown?
The problem really centers around the House lack of respect for debate and ignorgance towards fiscal policy. The cuts proprosed are not about the budget and more about idealogy. If the repbulicans were honest they would have the conviction to take on entitlements but these guys have like no backbone.

The question is will the House and Republicans be responsible and actually deal with the budget deficient or continue to force the country into a shutdown. They even have conservitavie staff members saying they need to force a shutdown to keep there base happy. Base Happy?

So the republicans come to into office and pass no jobs bill and force the country into a double recession. Smart.. real smart.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:08 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,931,450 times
Quote:

Nothing the House passes will make it past the Senate. The House has proven they have no intention of working with the Dems in the Senate so why on earth should the Senate work with them? I warned of this weeks ago and now it is coming true, why anyone on the right is surprised is just amazing, they cannot be That stupid can they?
Casper

Old 02-24-2011, 08:08 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,160 times
At first the title of the thread looked like Spoiled "Chicken", I guess I have the Demo-crats on my mind, sorry.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:13 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Nothing the House passes will make it past the Senate. The House has proven they have no intention of working with the Dems in the Senate so why on earth should the Senate work with them? I warned of this weeks ago and now it is coming true, why anyone on the right is surprised is just amazing, they cannot be That stupid can they?
Casper
Why is this problem now? Why is it that the Demo party feels the need to be a team now, that was far from their pathetic little ("donkey" sized) brains a year ago.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:37 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,931,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
Why is this problem now? Why is it that the Demo party feels the need to be a team now, that was far from their pathetic little ("donkey" sized) brains a year ago.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but because the Dems did not deal with the Repubs for two years (even though the Repubs loved to refer to themselves as the Party of No), a wrong, does not excuse the Repubs for doing the same, another wrong. Meaning two wrongs do not make a right
Casper

Old 02-24-2011, 08:53 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,996,484 times
Great let the government shut down and when the checks don't go out see what happens? It will be worse than the Middle East with the first of the month Walmart crowd

Old 02-24-2011, 09:10 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,658,864 times
Will our Senate act like spoiled children?

No. The Democrats in the Senate have seen the light of the Republican agenda of fairness, the brilliant solution the Repubs have come up with to promote job growth and the meaningful budget cuts to programs that serve the poor and disadvantaged. The Democrats will fall to their knees and beg the republicans for forgiveness. The heads of all union leaders will be displayed prominently on the steps of the senate. Harry Reid will actually produce Obama's Kenyan birth certificate and acknowledge that the President is actually a muslim who smokes 3 packs a day. Any tea party senators will be allowed 2 votes from now on and Bohner will appoint his mistresses as his personal congressional aides. The Koch Brothers will be awarded the Medal of Freedom and Sarah Palin will be asked to address both houses on foreign policy issues. All will be right with the political world.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
I'll go it one better. I think they will flee, too. I think the Democrat's best strategy is to head for the hidey holes. Isn't that why we have an imminent shutdown mess? When they controlled the Presidency, the House and The Senate, their only move was not to play.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:17 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,658,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'll go it one better. I think they will flee, too. I think the Democrat's best strategy is to head for the hidey holes. Isn't that why we have an imminent shutdown mess? When they controlled the Presidency, the House and The Senate, their only move was not to play.
If I recall correctly, the republicans were the masters of the filibuster the last 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies