Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:05 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,604,482 times

Advertisements

here's proof:

Quote:
CHAPTER I - FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

SUBCHAPTER I - AIRPORTS

PART 152 - AIRPORT AID PROGRAM

subpart e - NONDISCRIMINATION IN AIRPORT AID PROGRAM

152.411 - Affirmative action steps.
Quote:
(5) The contractor must direct its recruitment efforts to minority and female organizations, to schools with minority and female students, and to organizations which recruit and train minorities and women, in the contractor's recruitment area.

(6) The contractor must encourage present minority and female employees to recruit other minorities and women.

(7) The contractor must, where possible, provide after school, summer, and vacation employment to minority and female youth.
source: 14 CFR 152.411 - Affirmative action steps. - Code of Federal Regulations - Title 14: Aeronautics and Space - Subpart E: Nondiscrimination in airport aid program - vLex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 07:08 AM

more:

Quote:
TITLE 29 - LABOR

SUBTITLE A - OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY OF LABOR

PART 30 - EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY IN APPRENTICESHIP AND TRAINING

30.4 - Affirmative action plans.
Quote:
(b) Definition of affirmative action. Affirmative action is not mere passive nondiscrimination. It includes procedures, methods, and programs for the identification, positive recruitment, training, and motivation of present and potential minority and female (minority and nonminority) apprentices including the establishment of goals and timetables. It is action which will equalize opportunity in apprenticeship so as to allow full utilization of the work potential of minorities and women. The overall result to be sought is equal opportunity in apprenticeship for all individuals participating in or seeking entrance to the Nation's labor force.
source:
29 CFR 30.4 - Affirmative action plans. - Code of Federal Regulations - Title 29: Labor - Part 30: Equal employment opportunity in apprenticeship and training - vLex

Old 03-10-2011, 07:11 AM

Post adobe required for this one

shall i go on? http://www.secaucusnj.org/web_conten...o%20Report.pdf

Old 03-10-2011, 07:18 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,435,984 times
Affirmative steps to prevent racists from discriminating against minorities and blacks is right. Denial that racism still exists while practicing it is the biggest problem among Conservatives. Affirmative action/steps/opportunity is a work in progress and will always exist.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:23 AM

45,309 posts, read 26,577,237 times
Affirmative action laws are racist and discriminatory by nature and serve no purpose but to exact someone else's version of social justice.
See the post above mine for an example.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:15 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,558,424 times
People should be hired based on ability and not color. Period.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:42 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,179,399 times
In my airport planning/design days, we routinely were required to subcontract out a certain percentage of the work to either a woman-owned business or a disadvantaged business enterprise (ie. minority owned). This was very frustrating due to very small number of women or minorities involved in this technical line of work. We quite literally had to resort to having WOB/DBE's doing something menial like our printing of blueprints and documents just so we could say that we were meeting the requirement.

Bottom line? This helped no one. Our efficiency decreased just because we had to wait on the subcontractors to print something. Thank you Government for your steadfast wisdom. It's clear that you surely know how to run a business.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,801,740 times
I worked in a federal contractor's office, that was subject to some kind of huge tax break, if they hired a certain % of minorities. It had a tremendous effect on the hiring policies, to the extent that there were two standards of performance, one for white people, and a lower one for everyone else.

I have seen it in action, so I know good and well that affirmative action exists.

People love to chime in and say, "Nuh-uh, there's no such thing as quotas." That may be technically true in some irrelevant sense, but the practical differences between a "racial quota," an "incentive to hire minorities", and a "penalty for hiring white people" is lost on me. It is all so similar, that it is basically the same thing.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I worked in a federal contractor's office, that was subject to some kind of huge tax break, if they hired a certain % of minorities. It had a tremendous effect on the hiring policies, to the extent that there were two standards of performance, one for white people, and a lower one for everyone else.

I have seen it in action, so I know good and well that affirmative action exists.

People love to chime in and say, "Nuh-uh, there's no such thing as quotas." That may be technically true in some irrelevant sense, but the practical differences between a "racial quota," an "incentive to hire minorities", and a "penalty for hiring white people" is lost on me. It is all so similar, that it is basically the same thing.
those are the ones who "stand to gain" if aa stays unchanged

Old 03-10-2011, 09:15 AM

aeroguy: subchapter 1, part 152, subpart e! lol! can you imagine all the wasted paper, electricity and who-knows-what-else was required to conjure up all that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies