Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 07:53 AM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times

Advertisements

Are you paying attention to this?

Cataracts, hips, knees and tonsils: NHS begins rationing operations

Hip replacements, cataract surgery and tonsil removal are among operations now being rationed in a bid to save the NHS money.

Bill Walters, 75, from Berkshire, recently had to wait 30 weeks for a hip operation instead of the standard 18. "I believe that the Government is doing this totally the wrong way," he said.

"I have bilateral cataracts and under the original NHS criteria I was entitled to have at least one of mine treated – but then the West Sussex health authorities decided to change the threshold level to save money.

"It's like looking through gauze. Everything is foggy, and I've got quite a large 'floater' in my left eye. The consultant was as distressed as me, having to tell me, and he thought with my eyesight he wouldn't be able to function.

"I've appealed because the cataracts are having a significant impact on my quality of life and it's left me depressed and fearful about my low vision, which will continue to deteriorate. The new guidelines mean that people who fall below the standard set by the DVLA still do not qualify to have surgery. My vision is not good enough to drive at night.

"I'm not a cranky old lady. I'm the chair of a local village charity and I do a lot of computer work that is affected.

"It will just store up costs for future years, putting a strain on resources as more patients will end up in falls clinics. The longer you put it off the more complex the operation becomes and the riskier it is for the patient."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 08:08 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,106 times
Yes, the Conservatives are up to their old tricks you see. Dismantle the NHS by stealth- its been their policy ever since the NHS was created.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:25 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Are you paying attention to this?

Cataracts, hips, knees and tonsils: NHS begins rationing operations

Hip replacements, cataract surgery and tonsil removal are among operations now being rationed in a bid to save the NHS money.

Bill Walters, 75, from Berkshire, recently had to wait 30 weeks for a hip operation instead of the standard 18. "I believe that the Government is doing this totally the wrong way," he said.

"I have bilateral cataracts and under the original NHS criteria I was entitled to have at least one of mine treated – but then the West Sussex health authorities decided to change the threshold level to save money.

"It's like looking through gauze. Everything is foggy, and I've got quite a large 'floater' in my left eye. The consultant was as distressed as me, having to tell me, and he thought with my eyesight he wouldn't be able to function.

"I've appealed because the cataracts are having a significant impact on my quality of life and it's left me depressed and fearful about my low vision, which will continue to deteriorate. The new guidelines mean that people who fall below the standard set by the DVLA still do not qualify to have surgery. My vision is not good enough to drive at night.

"I'm not a cranky old lady. I'm the chair of a local village charity and I do a lot of computer work that is affected.

"It will just store up costs for future years, putting a strain on resources as more patients will end up in falls clinics. The longer you put it off the more complex the operation becomes and the riskier it is for the patient."

They have done that for years!

I stay in contact with flooring fitters in Britain and many of them wait months for knee surgery. Out of work, they are automatically put into government care with public assistance.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:31 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,038 times
At least they can be thankful they do not live in the USA,where they would never get help. Something to be grateful for, as they gaze enviously at their European peers.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:35 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
That's austerity in cutting expenditures instead of raising revenues.

I love how people scream "cut spending!"...then complain bitterly when they they are included in that cut.

Even a child should get this concept, but some adults fail at basic logical reasoning.

Still beats the US, if they didn't have health insurance they would be be SOL period.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:37 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Yes, the Conservatives are up to their old tricks you see. Dismantle the NHS by stealth- its been their policy ever since the NHS was created.
Politicization happens with everything the state does.
Makes you wonder why people would want the government involved in it at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies