Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 11:05 AM

991 posts, read 1,114,435 times

Advertisements

As the political primary season opens, the mudslinging intensifies. I have been following Iowa pretty closely, but I am not sure any of the candidates fit the bill for me. I just thought I would toss out some of the general principles that guide the way i vote, rather than start some inane "liberals hate America, religious conservatives are knuckle-dragging Neanderthals" thread.

*jingoism and exceptionalism is ridiculous. The lifespan of this nation is minute compared to the lifespan of this planet (and by extension, the universe). Me, you, and our progeny will all be dead eventually. We are not special. I won't refrain from voting for social conservatives, but I certainly don't share any kinship with them.

*Given that temporal position we are placed in, I believe strongly in doing the right thing while we are here...which boils down to treating others the way you would expect to be treated. I don't need commandments or a book to tell me this. I just try (and admittedly sometimes fail) to do it.

*My only real concern is having as much freedom as I possibly can without sending the social order into complete upheaval. I feel BOTH modern day conservatives and liberals want to legislate behavior in some way, and I reject almost all attempts. I would prefer civil anarchy if possible or practical.

*i don't believe in putting too much trust or faith in any institution or government. I accept that doing so will lead to disappointment, or worse.

*My primary goal in life is to avoid being hasseled. I don't want to be told that I am not religious enough, don't like where I live enough, take too many drugs, am too intellectual, am not smart enough, should be married, should act a certain way, etc.

*i have a responsibility to myself, my offspring, my charges, and the parties enter into contracts with. I also have a responsibility to not to harm, intentionally or unintentionally, other parties. My responsibility stops there. Anything past that this reponsibility is kindness and generosity, which will be dealt by me at my own discretion. It should not be legislated.

For those that ask "why do libertarians think a certain way.", perhaps the above points provide some insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies