Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:54 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,037,755 times

Advertisements

When the 47% don't pay taxes they are called "deadbeats". When the 1% (like Google Chairman Eric Schmidt) don't pay taxes, "'It's Called Capitalism'. In addition to avoiding paying $2 billion of taxes, the 1%ers love their love their entitlements. Like being able to land, takeoff, and store Google's corporate jets free of charge on United States Air Force Bases. While the ordinary rich people have to pay millions of dollars a year for these services at commercial airports.

America sure is a great country, if you are a billionaire.

Quote:
Google Chairman Eric Schmidt Defends Tax Dodge: 'It's Called Capitalism'
The Huffington Post | By Bonnie Kavoussi
Posted: 12/13/2012 11:01 am EST | Updated: 12/13/2012 3:50 pm EST

Google's chairman says he is "proud" of the way his company avoids paying taxes.

"It's called capitalism," Eric Schmidt told Bloomberg in a Wednesday article. "We are proudly capitalistic. I'm not confused about this."
Google Chairman Eric Schmidt Defends Tax Dodge: 'It's Called Capitalism'

Quote:
Google Revenues Sheltered in No-Tax Bermuda Soar to $10 Billion
By Jesse Drucker - Dec 9, 2012 9:01 PM PT

Google Inc. (GOOG) avoided about $2 billion in worldwide income taxes in 2011 by shifting $9.8 billion in revenues into a Bermuda shell company, almost double the total from three years before, filings show.
By legally funneling profits from overseas subsidiaries into Bermuda, which doesn’t have a corporate income tax, Google cut its overall tax rate almost in half. The amount moved to Bermuda is equivalent to about 80 percent of Google’s total pretax profit in 2011
Google Revenues Sheltered in No-Tax Bermuda Soar to $10 Billion - Bloomberg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 10:01 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,234,345 times
Well, the 47% of the people take the governments money without giving anything back, but the 1% just doesn't give the government money in the first place.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,211,133 times
It's called playing by different rules, in this country that is respected and admired and you are considered fortunate to play by the rules the 1% get to enjoy because everyone wants to be the next 1% and get to enjoy those same rules....or at least that is the dream they have been sold.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:08 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,234,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It's called playing by different rules, in this country that is respected and admired and you are considered fortunate to play by the rules the 1% get to enjoy because everyone wants to be the next 1% and get to enjoy those same rules....or at least that is the dream they have been sold.
The rules don't matter. What matters is the government gets enough money to run itself. Otherwise, there will be no rules in the first place.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:14 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,708,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Well, the 47% of the people take the governments money without giving anything back, but the 1% just doesn't give the government money in the first place.
Yeah, it's not like those 47%ers are buying things with the little bit of money they do have, and paying sales taxes and stuff. Nah, they ain't nothing but a bunch of takers. Come on, they're making what? $20,000, some $14,000, heck $30,000....they could give more of that back to the government(state/federal), right? Oh, just a sec.....somebody just told me that most of that does go back to the government/local businesses/etc. This person told me that those 47%ers actually probably give more of their earnings to just make it month to month then those other "%ers" do.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:22 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,467,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
Yeah, it's not like those 47%ers are buying things with the little bit of money they do have, and paying sales taxes and stuff. Nah, they ain't nothing but a bunch of takers. Come on, they're making what? $20,000, some $14,000, heck $30,000....they could give more of that back to the government(state/federal), right? Oh, just a sec.....somebody just told me that most of that does go back to the government/local businesses/etc. This person told me that those 47%ers actually probably give more of their earnings to just make it month to month then those other "%ers" do.
You are still going on about this? Nobody said the 47% are deadbeats. Romney apologized for the remark. The election has been over for more than a month.

You've potentially got the President covering up a terrorist assassination of an ambassador and other Americans and people are saying this isn't a legitimate news story and should be let go. And yet you're ranting on about a single sentence the loser of the last election said months ago?

Let it go. It was taken out of context to begin with.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:28 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,708,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
You are still going on about this? Nobody said the 47% are deadbeats. Romney apologized for the remark. The election has been over for more than a month.

You've potentially got the President covering up a terrorist assassination of an ambassador and other Americans and people are saying this isn't a legitimate news story and should be let go. And yet you're ranting on about a single sentence the loser of the last election said months ago?

Let it go. It was taken out of context to begin with.
Hold your horses there, mate I was replying to what that particular poster said about the 47%ers not giving anything back. I addressed that, because that just isn't so. So, please step down from the righteous indignation platform for a sec, and take a breather.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:46 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,037,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
You are still going on about this? Nobody said the 47% are deadbeats. Romney apologized for the remark.
Oh, he apologized. That makes it all better. He only apologized because he pissed off 47% of the voters. He was sorry that his true opinion was made public.

But that wasn't the reason I choose the title. I just find the double standard for the poor and the rich to be interesting.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:23 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,546,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Oh, he apologized. That makes it all better. He only apologized because he pissed off 47% of the voters. He was sorry that his true opinion was made public.

But that wasn't the reason I choose the title. I just find the double standard for the poor and the rich to be interesting.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:26 PM

78,476 posts, read 60,666,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

So, if one of these billionaires were actually caught evading taxes what do you think we should do with them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies