Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2020, 08:20 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,722,249 times

Advertisements

Hopefully this doesn't get locked because I wanted to talk about the main 2 & how I feel like we are missing something because of politics of what is considered each.

It seems that even though a lot of jobs are considered essential many are not. In fact it almost seems like certain types of jobs get classified as "essential" because of groups that basically become lobbyist that work with the state governments.

Example. My friend works for a beer company. They are considered essential. But are they really essential? Do people need beer to live? State taxes are generated from this which could be one reason. But also beer companies are very powerful with making sure they are essential.

But with everything going on & cities/states going into shut down except essential workers. There are still way to many people out there.

I know this would be process & probably take some time to actually implement. But should we add another type to cut back what we have now?

Let's say there is mandatory essential, essential & non essential.

Convenience stores. Where I live there are hundreds but not all are gas stations. In fact many really just sell drinks, beer & snacks. Not even much food. Maybe a slim amount of food. Does this really need to be considered mandatory essential? I can understand if by location it's the only place close to a neighborhood. (think low income areas that do not have mass transit or cars). But these kinds of places are really not necessary if they really tried to implement what I'm talking about in terms of mandatory essential.

So if the government was going to implement essential + essential mandatory people would know that what is going on now is what would still be op en. But if they created some kind of mandatory essential we would know more things would be closed to cut back the amount of people out.

Grocery stores yes. Gas stations yes.

I guess I just feel like their is to much of a gray area for many essential jobs & it turns out to be almost business as usual for many people.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 08:25 PM

39,946 posts, read 26,651,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Example. My friend works for a beer company. They are considered essential. But are they really essential? Do people need beer to live? State taxes are generated from this which could be one reason. But also beer companies are very powerful with making sure they are essential.
Come on-people are stuck at home with their families for another MONTH. Of course beer is essential!

(in seriousness-I agree with you-liquor and pot sales are open because they are a big source of revenue)

Old 03-30-2020, 08:29 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,926,783 times
Quote:
Hopefully this doesn't get locked because I wanted to talk about the main 2 & how I feel like we are missing something because of politics of what is considered each.

It seems that even though a lot of jobs are considered essential many are not. In fact it almost seems like certain types of jobs get classified as "essential" because of groups that basically become lobbyist that work with the state governments.

But with everything going on & cities/states going into shut down except essential workers. There are still way to many people out there.

I know this would be process & probably take some time to actually implement. But should we add another type to cut back what we have now?

Convenience stores. Where I live there are hundreds but not all are gas stations. In fact many really just sell drinks, beer & snacks. Not even much food. Maybe a slim amount of food. Does this really need to be considered mandatory essential? I can understand if by location it's the only place close to a neighborhood. (think low income areas that do not have mass transit or cars). But these kinds of places are really not necessary if they really tried to implement what I'm talking about in terms of mandatory essential.

So if the government was going to implement essential + essential mandatory people would know that what is going on now is what would still be op en. But if they created some kind of mandatory essential we would know more things would be closed to cut back the amount of people out.

I guess I just feel like their is to much of a gray area for many essential jobs & it turns out to be almost business as usual for many people.
The company I work for has been designated an "essential business" and we sell luxury recreation products. Why, I have no idea, except that local fire, police, etc do sometimes buy some things from us, but it is a very small portion of our business.

I wish they would just shut us down until this thing ends, but they are using this loophole to stay open, and it is putting us, and our customers at risk.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Come on-people are stuck at home with their families for another MONTH. Of course beer is essential!

(in seriousness-I agree with you-liquor and pot sales are open because they are a big source of revenue)

Now that I think about it the beer example is a super small % of the work force. You do have warehouse, office, sales reps, drivers, managers that are now working. But it's good for them.

I think cutting back on certain places make more sense which would actually cut back on some of the business for soda & beer companies.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The company I work for has been designated an "essential business" and we sell luxury recreation products. Why, I have no idea, except that local fire, police, etc do sometimes buy some things from us, but it is a very small portion of our business.

I wish they would just shut us down until this thing ends, but they are using this loophole to stay open, and it is putting us, and our customers at risk.

I don't know this for a fact. But I feel like examples like yours is because lobbyist of some kind push to make it essential. And they get donates from these types of businesses for that very reason.

It's why $ speaks unfortunately it will not help things.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:50 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,792,135 times
Quote:

Who would you let tell you... That you were non-essential.
How does it feel today, to be the PROPERTY of the State?
You ain't Free.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Who would you let tell you... That you were non-essential.
How does it feel today, to be the PROPERTY of the State?
You ain't Free.

All stores/businesses have to have a business license. It could be classified that way when you create the business. Grandfather stores in if you have to.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:21 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,792,135 times
Quote:
All stores/businesses have to have a business license. It could be classified that way when you create the business. Grandfather stores in if you have to.
So their punished, while those without the overhead of a brick & mortar store front are free.
Only slaves would comply.

I have 4 businesses I run. None, am I forced to have a permit to make money. Business License??? What's that?

Old 03-30-2020, 09:23 PM

20,894 posts, read 8,703,450 times
OP, when you are governor you can make the rules. You could always recall or vote out your governor if you don't like him.

Old 03-31-2020, 04:46 AM

4,795 posts, read 3,324,021 times
In my state, beer distributors open yet liquor stores shut down. Of course you can get both at many grocery stores.

Initially laundry mats were ordered shut down, which made absolutely no sense. Not everyone has a washer and people need to wash their clothes. That was reversed the following day.

I have heard stories about Walmarts/Targets being open but not permitting people to purchase clothing, and other things considered non-essential. Wonder what the policy is for electronics. Who would want to be hunkered down with not being able to replace a broken TV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies