Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:56 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,594,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
FORT WORTH, Texas - American Airlines will start charging $15 for the first checked bag, cut domestic flights and lay off workers as it grapples with record-high fuel prices.
So what's next, selling bathroom tokens for a buck apiece?

American to charge for 1st checked bag, Delta balks - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 09:57 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,661,576 times
With oil at $132 per barrel today, this type of thing is to be expected.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:58 AM

257 posts, read 1,060,148 times
Why can't they just raise the overall price of the ticket instead of this nickel and dimeing crap? It just sends out a cheap, stingy, low-budget image. I actually made a joke recently about charging for the bathroom. I wouldn't be surprised.

To make matters worse, with TSA liquid restrictions, it forces passengers to check luggage that they could otherwise carry on board. I'm sorry but 3 oz is not enough body lotion, conditioner, etc for me.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:00 AM

21,705 posts, read 31,377,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown17 View Post
Why can't they just raise the overall price of the ticket instead of this nickel and dimeing crap? It just sends out a cheap, stingy, low-budget image. I actually made a joke recently about charging for the bathroom. I wouldn't be surprised.

To make matters worse, with TSA liquid restrictions, it forces passengers to check luggage that they could otherwise carry on board. I'm sorry but 3 oz is not enough body lotion, conditioner, etc for me.
I usually try to pack light and carry-on. When I get to my destination I make a stop at the drugstore to buy what I need. Checking bags is a hassle anyway especially at a busy airport.

I agree with just raising the price of the tickets as a whole - none of this nickel and dimeing stuff.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:02 AM

55 posts, read 198,790 times
This is a much better option than just raising overall ticket prices

What if i travel light and only bring on board one small bag of items, basically an efficient traveler

why should i pay the same as you, lugging around a 40 lb bag of stuff plus carry-on, which creates more work for everyone, especially the luggage handlers

the only people that would be against this are those that travel with ridiculous amounts of crap like stupid beauty products and too much clothes... OH WAIT

Old 05-21-2008, 11:03 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,997,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
So what's next, selling bathroom tokens for a buck apiece?

American to charge for 1st checked bag, Delta balks - Yahoo! News (broken link)
This won't appear in the government's inflation report.

Just like the box of cereal that's shrunk in size but costs the same, substituting filet mignon with hamburger meat, and having to spend one's valuable time assembling your own furniture.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:06 AM

20,186 posts, read 23,915,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
With oil at $132 per barrel today, this type of thing is to be expected.
The problem is not with oil at $132 a barrel... what about when it hit $50 a barrel and airlines continue to charge all these fees and collude with one another to keep the fees because it nets them more money... right now they are struggling but when they are profitting, will prices go down? Not likely, they will probably add even more fees... of course to combat this, all we need is fiscal responsibility on Americans... that will happen when Hell freezes over... and Big Business knows it...

Old 05-21-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyr47 View Post
This is a much better option than just raising overall ticket prices

What if i travel light and only bring on board one small bag of items, basically an efficient traveler

why should i pay the same as you, lugging around a 40 lb bag of stuff plus carry-on, which creates more work for everyone, especially the luggage handlers

the only people that would be against this are those that travel with ridiculous amounts of crap like stupid beauty products and too much clothes... OH WAIT
It may be ridiculous crap to you. But some people don't have the option of traveling light. I may be carrying clothes and household items to my family in the Caribbean where certain things are harder to obtain. Or traveling to a developing country where toiletries are either ridiculously expensive or not available. The point is, you don't know everyone's reasons for how much they pack.

Besides, everyone is still taking up space on the plane and adding to the overall weight, regardless of how much luggage they are bringing. If someone's job is to load luggage, then that is their job.

Checking in two pieces of luggage was never a problem before, why is it now? Because it's another way to make money. Just like charging for blankets and pillows. Next, the bathroom. After that, a seat belt.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:10 AM

55 posts, read 198,790 times
and whats your point? even if airlines wanted to charge 800 bucks per one way flight, they can do whatever they want

are you implying that flying is somehow a right? i thought it was a privelege like driving

Old 05-21-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I usually try to pack light and carry-on. When I get to my destination I make a stop at the drugstore to buy what I need. Checking bags is a hassle anyway especially at a busy airport.

I agree with just raising the price of the tickets as a whole - none of this nickel and dimeing stuff.
I hear you but what if there's no drugstore where you're going? Or there is but they don't have what you need?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies