Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 11:27 AM

13,139 posts, read 9,707,910 times

Advertisements

Caitlin Clark, a player for the women's University of Iowa basketball team, is being hyped as to possibly breaking Pistol Pete Maravich's scoring record. Nothing against her personally, and she's a great player, but the two aren't comparable.

Why is this controversial?

There are somewhat different rules between men's and women's basketball: Women use a smaller ball and the same size hoop; can take a timeout and receive the ball at mid-court instead of the end; no defensive charging circle in women's ball; perhaps some other subtle differences.

Pete only played 3 years (freshmen couldn't play on the varsity team in his day). Caitlin has played 4 years.

There was no 3-point shot in his day.

There was no shot clock when Pete played.

Others?

I saw Pete play when I was in college and LSU played at my school. His ball handling skills and shot making capability is beyond comparison to any other player I've ever seen, male or female. He was about like watching the Harlem Globetrotters play, except he was playing a real, unscripted game.

Old 03-03-2024, 11:48 AM

14,037 posts, read 8,206,689 times
Pistol Pete is one of the few players who played during the 70's whose game was better suited for today's NBA.

Julius Erving, who played briefly with the Atlanta Hawks during one exhibition season (before the NBA rule him ineligible to play for the Hawks) said outside of Kareem Jabbar… Pistol Pete was the best player he'd ever seen.

Good book on Maravich:
https://www.amazon.com/Pistol-Biogra...s%2C160&sr=8-1

Old 03-03-2024, 11:56 AM

6,319 posts, read 3,465,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Pistol Pete is one of the few players who played during the 70's whose game was better suited for today's NBA.

Julius Erving, who played briefly with the Atlanta Hawks during one exhibition season (before the NBA rule him ineligible to play for the Hawks) said outside of Kareem Jabbar… Pistol Pete was the best player he'd ever seen.
I was fortunate enough to watch Pete Mahavira play and in my opinion he was the best acrobatic shooter I ever saw. he was uncanny in the shots he made.....Better than Jordon or anyone in the NBA right now.

Old 03-03-2024, 12:08 PM

5,803 posts, read 4,776,695 times
Caitlin just broke the record. She's the leading college basketball scorer of all time. No asterisk.

Good for her.

Old 03-03-2024, 12:15 PM

16,777 posts, read 8,764,264 times
It is only controversial to fools who want to compare men's and women's sports.

So despite the so called "Battle of the Sexes" where a young woman tennis champion beat a (former champion) aging man (who has rumor has it, bet heavily against himself and lost on purpose), women are destroyed by men in tennis, and every other sport, sometimes even HS boys in whatever sport they are great in.

Ergo, this woman basketball star would be riding the bench of any college mens team, even NAIA, much less NCAA team.
She would go from the highest scorer in women's basketball (which is an admirable accomplishment), to the lowest scorer in history on the men's side.

Old 03-03-2024, 12:32 PM

13,139 posts, read 9,707,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Caitlin just broke the record. She's the leading college basketball scorer of all time. No asterisk.

Good for her.
Pete scored 741 points in his freshman year in only 19 games. Add those in and you'll get his 4 year career. Still no 3-point line though. Some have reviewed film from the time and say he would have averaged about 54 vs 44 points per game with a 3-point line.

Caitlin has the women's record and that's something to be proud of.

Old 03-03-2024, 12:37 PM

30,369 posts, read 11,981,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Caitlin Clark, a player for the women's University of Iowa basketball team, is being hyped as to possibly breaking Pistol Pete Maravich's scoring record. Nothing against her personally, and she's a great player, but the two aren't comparable.

She is not about to break the Mens Basketball NCAA scoring record. So it has nothing to do with Maravich.

Old 03-03-2024, 01:17 PM
bu2

24,159 posts, read 15,018,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post

There are somewhat different rules between men's and women's basketball: Women use a smaller ball and the same size hoop; can take a timeout and receive the ball at mid-court instead of the end; no defensive charging circle in women's ball; perhaps some other subtle differences.

Pete only played 3 years (freshmen couldn't play on the varsity team in his day). Caitlin has played 4 years.

There was no 3-point shot in his day.

There was no shot clock when Pete played.

Others?

I saw Pete play when I was in college and LSU played at my school. His ball handling skills and shot making capability is beyond comparison to any other player I've ever seen, male or female. He was about like watching the Harlem Globetrotters play, except he was playing a real, unscripted game.
Exactly.

If you are going to compare Caitlin, then you need to throw in all the NAIA players who scored over 4,000 points. Then at least you are talking about all college players. And the NAIA players had tougher competition than the women's players. There are some women in other divisions I believe who have scored more than Caitlin.

Pete was amazing. There was nobody like him. He averaged 44.6 points per game. No other Division I player has averaged even 34! Oscar Robertson is second with 33.8.

Old 03-03-2024, 01:20 PM
bu2

24,159 posts, read 15,018,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post

Good for her.
As I pointed out, that's not true at all. A number of college players have scored more points. She isn't even the leading active women's scorer. Grace Beyer has nearly 4,000 points.

Old 03-03-2024, 01:33 PM

577 posts, read 309,748 times
Apples and oranges. Both are/were great, but not comparable. Why even think there is a point to trying to make them comparable. Oh, okay, some people just need to argue the toss.

Saw Pete playing against my school ( man, that was a long time ago ). Dang, just realized I have not attended a basketball game in person since my college days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.