Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 02:09 PM

896 posts, read 1,477,584 times

Advertisements

Phoenix = paradise. We haven't seen a cloud in months.

But we have some whiners we would love to send your way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 02:13 PM

94 posts, read 295,138 times
Phoenix = paradise?!! That's hilarious. The state is a hot-bed of hellish heat, and has some of the noisiest, narrow-minded hotheads in the country. Did I use the word "hot" enough? And how about the pyscho who shot a congresswoman(?) because he didn't like her views?

You don't have to move to the south to have clear skies. The south sucks anyway.

Last edited by Truglesmith; 03-31-2011 at 02:22 PM..

Old 03-31-2011, 02:28 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,449,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
- Did you know that the Green & Yellow MAX line stop at Pioneer Courthouse is across the street from a nice small several floors shopping Mall? In the basement (excuse me, Lower Lever & overpriced food court) is one of the largest volume iPad-MAC stores in Oregon? Go price check a new iPhone. l
I've eaten at that food court once or twice, just during the week when its been pretty dead. California Crisp is a bit expensive for food-court fare, but their wrap sandwiches are decent. We don't have them in the Midwest.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:54 PM

66 posts, read 144,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Since we are on the subject, can anyone tell me why someone who is positive or upbeat about Portland is seen as an apologist or Pollyanna while someone who is negative about PDX is "being honest"? What about someone who is neither? I don't know anyone who actually likes rain. Umbrella's and rain gear do get sold by retailers and people use them to protect themselves from the rain. It rains as much as or more on NYC than on Portland yet you will never hear New York described as a particularly rainy city. Why is that? Only a very few of the many Starbucks in NYC are open till 9:00. Coffee, as high in caffeine as it is has never become known as a nighttime refreshment. It makes sense for Starbucks in a place like Portland to close at 7:30. That's not being apologist thats being practical. For me there is no way to sugar coat it, the o.p. has made a personal choice that does not appear to be the best for them. I would be a flying pack of sheep if I claimed never to have done likewise. I can, however, claim with some amount of smug authority to never having attempted to publicly put down a person or place for not living up to my expectations.

H

I don't really follow the logic of all of your statements. But the few that I did...my choice is fine. And many many people drink coffee at night!

Old 03-31-2011, 02:57 PM

66 posts, read 144,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I DO know several people who do like the rain, particularly the cool and lack of sun.

The difference in how much rain is perceived is in the distribution of rain - from the City Data Weather pages:

NYC precip - spread out through the year

Portland precip - bunched up
This is wonderful! Thanks!

Apparently, we're about to go below the ave right about now, in Apr.

Last edited by ffffffaaaaa1; 03-31-2011 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: .

Old 03-31-2011, 03:17 PM

739 posts, read 1,849,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffffffaaaaa1 View Post
Have to confess...as much as I hated the rain today, it's much better weather than Mpls. Have to be honest about that.
Have you found Powell's Books? That's even more fun than Barnes and Noble, imho.

You'll like it more when the weather changes. Most places not in the sunbelt are icky in the winter. Hang in there.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:25 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,918,329 times
Quote:
And another depressing fact---yes there are lot of starbucks, but they close at 7:30 pm. This is so depressing. And there are few and far between Barnes and noble, and target stores (which all suck--all 3 of them). And no walmarts. Waaaaaa
That seems strange. I'm currently living in Murrieta, California (population - a little over 100k) and the Starbucks here are open until at least 10:00pm.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:28 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,844,210 times
Quote:
This is wonderful! Thanks!

Apparently, we're about to go below the ave right about now, in Apr.
There are two weather patterns here which skew the weather away from normal - El Nino and La Nina. Right now we are in a strong La Nina (google it and you'll see how extensive this pattern is in the Pacific), which means wetter and cooler than normal. The good thing is snowpack is way up - we were only on track for an average snowpack until about the beginning of February when it really turned wet. Depending on the part of the state, we're anywhere between 110-160% of normal.

Good for fish and crops, anyway. It's really been a wet 2011 from Los Angeles to Alaska, the entire west coast has had a wet year thus far. Forecast is for it to stay this way through about the beginning of May (as much as forecasts work here anyway - very few parts of the US have such a forecasting challenge as NOAA does here, and they are frequently VERY wrong).

Old 03-31-2011, 03:34 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,918,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
There are two weather patterns here which skew the weather away from normal - El Nino and La Nina. Right now we are in a strong La Nina (google it and you'll see how extensive this pattern is in the Pacific), which means wetter and cooler than normal. The good thing is snowpack is way up - we were only on track for an average snowpack until about the beginning of February when it really turned wet. Depending on the part of the state, we're anywhere between 110-160% of normal.

Good for fish and crops, anyway. It's really been a wet 2011 from Los Angeles to Alaska, the entire west coast has had a wet year thus far. Forecast is for it to stay this way through about the beginning of May (as much as forecasts work here anyway - very few parts of the US have such a forecasting challenge as NOAA does here, and they are frequently VERY wrong).
Is the drought officially over?

Old 03-31-2011, 03:39 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,844,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Is the drought officially over?
In the long term, no. So far this year, yes, the water outlook for 2011 is for enough water to supply most ag and fish run uses. On the other hand, all it would take is a month of warm weather above the snowline to wipe out the snow pack - that's happened in previous years, where we had a good snow pack going in to spring but then lost it in a warm late spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland