Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:00 PM

181 posts, read 456,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Oh how I wish women's hats would come back.
I have a plan to bring back the rain bonnet! (I'm half-serious...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 07:10 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,916,012 times
I wear a nice straw hat all summer with sunglasses and in Spring and Fall, baseball hats work... hats are always in style in my world.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:49 PM

9 posts, read 14,906 times
This is all very helpful.

Does anyone know how many days you have to tag your car in OR or get an OR drivers license? I know some states have very specific deadlines you have to follow and I can't decipher the OR DMV site.

And does anyone know if I'm going to have to take the driving test? I've had to take the written test when I moved between states but never the driving test and the DMV site makes it look like you do, even if you have a valid license from another state. Really?

Old 05-28-2011, 08:08 PM

132 posts, read 341,919 times
We had NY licenses and plates and needed only the written test. But *read the manual* before you take the test (offered on computer terminals at a variety of DMV sites.) The road rules are a little different. You can actually make a *left* on a red light on one-way streets. (As my husband said, "Left and red are two of my favorite colors, but I never thought to put them together while driving.") The folks at the DMV (for NY expats, anyway) are shockingly friendly and helpful. And they smile, too.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Oh how I wish women's hats would come back.
Wear your hats anyway! My best buddy in Bklyn used to wear hats (her collection was from the 1920s - early 1950s) when we went out -- and looked completely great. I was always a little in awe of her...(and her hats.)

Old 05-28-2011, 08:15 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,916,012 times
I couldn't believe how nice the workers at the DMV are... They say hi when you walk in the door, SERIOUSLY. Oregon will blow you away, in a good way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueisme View Post
We had NY licenses and plates and needed only the written test. But *read the manual* before you take the test (offered on computer terminals at a variety of DMV sites.) The road rules are a little different. You can actually make a *left* on a red light on one-way streets. (As my husband said, "Left and red are two of my favorite colors, but I never thought to put them together while driving.") The folks at the DMV (for NY expats, anyway) are shockingly friendly and helpful. And they smile, too.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:24 PM

Darn it. I must read before I post. My husband said "Left and red are two of his favorite *words*..." Otherwise it makes no sense and he (usually) does...

Old 05-28-2011, 08:31 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,596,301 times
Funny DMV stories about Portland returnees: Husband and I are very competitive academically, particularly when it comes to driving. I studied the manual very hard and passed on the first go with a 95% or better (the testing system tells you you passed if you answered enough to win a licence). He took two visits to accomplish same.

I met with a classmate, a Rhodes scholar, and asked him if he had taken the test. "Not yet."

Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 PM

639 posts, read 1,600,594 times
almost forgot:

U-turns are only allowed when you have *something like* 150 ft visible clearance in both directions, no hills, no cross streets, and no other cars around, on tuesdays in odd numbered months. Well, basically, U-turns are only permitted when there is a posted sign allowing them -- unlike in California where U-turns are allowed unless there is a sign saying you can't do it.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Funny DMV stories about Portland returnees: Husband and I are very competitive academically, particularly when it comes to driving. I studied the manual very hard and passed on the first go with a 95% or better (the testing system tells you you passed if you answered enough to win a licence). He took two visits to accomplish same.

I met with a classmate, a Rhodes scholar, and asked him if he had taken the test. "Not yet."
Ha! My husband, with a graduate degree from an Ivy League school posted this on Facebook after his first DMV visit:

Q: What's the penalty for driving without your insurance card in Oregon?
A. How the f**k would I know.
That's why I just failed my written driver's license test.

He actually read the book for the second test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland