Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 10:59 AM

682 posts, read 1,578,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayuso View Post
It's severely lacking of diversity, not only does it have a history of the KKK.
Yeah, all those stupid Klan rallies downtown blocking traffic, that's Portland. You have it nailed to a T.

Good luck in your next move.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:24 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,310 times
Great post jayuso! You are speaking your mind openly and honestly, and fairly stating what you've seen and experienced. It matches quite a bit of other posts, that hit on the same issues.

It's interesting how almost everyone has attacked you and your message. Their very words actually confirm a lot of what you've stated, though they probably didn't even realize it. There is no constructive disagreement or counter-data on their part; just attacks. Either they really can't defend what they are saying, or are too lazy to even try.

Besides the attacks on you, many of the Portland lovers probably don't try to get a realistic look at their town and their life in the town. Kind of a hazy floating along, trying to fit in, and trying to mold their life to fit into what's expected of them, and how they are to think.

I've seen that same sort of blind wandering around, and town ultra-defensiveness in other cities as well. You say anything constructively critical, and it's like you're talking about their "mama" or something. Everything gets way too personal, and people can't handle it. Folks, it's just a city. It's not a fragile little thing that needs to be protected. This is just a discussion. You should be strong enough and mature enough to handle a difference of opinion.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Now you're probably asking yourselves why I decided to move here right?
Not really...

Quote:
I was lied too. I was told it was a completely different story. A "friend" of mine told me all these great things and made it seem opposite. When I visited for a bit it seemed pretty decent. I guess some things you can only pick up on by living some place though huh?
So did your friend tell you that you could pump your own gas and it was sunny year round here? Oh and sorry about all the Klan rallies---those can really block the traffic on SE Belmont.

Every so often someone comes to the Portland forum, politely looking for positive advice about their exciting move to Portland that is just sure to work out them because they're just so excited about Portland. After a few months(weeks) living here (often in the suburbs of Portland), they feel let down that it does actualy rain here, that the golden parade of high paying jobs and excitement didn't kick off immediately and suddenly turn sour on our fair city. After that they turn their initial optimism at moving to Portland into vitriol criticizing every single element of Portland. Meanwhile they go on to fantasize that some other place like Phoenix, Arizona or Spokane, Washington is the real place for them where they'll be happy.

This happens every so often on here. And the native Portlanders and longtime residents all just have a good laugh...

Last edited by Deezus; 12-30-2011 at 11:50 AM..

Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,539 times
Sunderpig, I wasn't attacking jayuso. He has a right to his opinion. I am not even from Portland...

I was simply stating that there are MUCH worse places and situations, and it is good to try to have some perspective.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:35 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
Besides the attacks on you, many of the Portland lovers probably don't try to get a realistic look at their town and their life in the town. Kind of a hazy floating along, trying to fit in, and trying to mold their life to fit into what's expected of them, and how they are to think.
Why would people who are content living in Portland and have lived here their whole lives or for a considerable amount of time, care to take a "realistic look" at our town through the eyes of some malcontent kid who spent barely 3 months living in some suburb of Portland? Oh wait, after reading Jayuso's post we're all supposed to realize that we really don't enjoy it here?

Old 12-30-2011, 11:54 AM

978 posts, read 1,088,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
Were you the kid stuck out in Lake Oswego?
i was stuck in lo for a year, i didnt have a car, all my friends live on the other side of the river. are you talking about me?

Old 12-30-2011, 02:25 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,539 times
Maybe, drum bro. If I were a kid, I would much rather live in Hawthorne than Lake Oswego. (Actually, I'm middle-aged, and I'd still rather live in Hawthorne!)

Old 12-30-2011, 03:38 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
No one has disputed the OP's post, just attacked him? Okay. Here's dispute.

Quote:
Ever since I've been here all I heard about is people disappearing, rape, theft, assault. Especially in the Northeast and Southeast
People disappearing? Maybe they've moved to San Francisco, too. If that's all you've heard about, you really need to widen your topics of conversation.

Quote:
I mean let's be honest. It rains all the time and as a matter of fact I heard you guys only get a few weeks of actual summer time if that lol. And yes I know rain is part of the "life" but as for me, I like my skies with a bit of blue thanks. 9 months of rainy season? forget that!
All the time? No, it doesn't. It does rain more than it does in San Francisco. And other places, too. A few weeks of summer? Not true. But go ahead and think it. Why base your opinions on things like facts.

Quote:
The public transit system is a joke. If you aren't downtown you can forget about decent service.
10 Best Cities for Public Transportation - US News and World Report puts Portland at the #5 best system in the U.S. San Francisco? .... #13. I'm guessing your definition of "decent" doesn't meet their standards.

Quote:
It's severely lacking of diversity, not only does it have a history of the KKK. Everybody I spoke to said it's a bit of a hick town and to be honest I can sorta see why. What culture does it have? what culture do they associate with Portland? other than rain? I'm Samoan and it's very clear I'm out of place with the lack of diversity. It is after all "One of the whitest big cities in the nation"
You're right. It's not that diverse. But if you really knew anything about it, you'd know that the KKK "history" in Oregon was more concerned with Catholics, and was more concentrated in Southern Oregon ... you know, that part down there on the border of California. Not much of a factor in Portland.

But yeah, It must be so much easier being Samoan in the Bay Area, with that extra .1% Pacific Islander population.

What culture? Oh, please. For one thing, culture encompasses so many things. If you want to be more specific about what culture means to you, I'd be happy to dispute it.

Quote:
The stupid hate on Californians, let it go! whatever the housing cost grudges were over or however that feud started. It's time to move on. Are they jealous of California? they say when you fail in California you get sentenced to Portland. Maybe that is why?
Show me the hating on Californians as a whole. Individual, whiny, complaining, egotistical Californians ... sure, we don't like them. I'll admit that. But I do realize that's very few of them. Do you?

And is that what they say in "Cali?" about Portland? Wow. You got us. But I must ask you, why do "Cali" people hate on Portlanders ... are they jealous of them?

Quote:
The whole smug factor "'I'm so much more open-minded than you are, which is why I don't listen to a thing you say." I've encountered alot of that
Maybe what you have to say, people don't find of much merit? But okay, we're smug. I'm smug enough to know there's no such word as "alot" and even to let you know it. Ah dun red that in them there books, even tho Ah gots no kulture.

Quote:
The phony sense of kindness. Sure by all means people are cool to ask a question to if you get lost. It's very anti social here it seems like though, people seem very afraid to step outside their safe little bubble
So how is it phony. I'm glad to hear that people have been helpful to you when you get lost. But how's that phony? You mean they helped you on your way, but didn't invite you over for dinner afterwards? The unfeeling phonies.

Quote:
The hipster culture, those who think they are the coolest thing since sliced bread. With the overly arrogant attitude in coffee shops. It's everywhere sure but a much higher concentration in Portland
I know. They're not, and should know it. People in San Francisco ... those "Cali" people are so very much cooler, aren't they?

Quote:
Downtown is a total bore, as are alot of surrounding areas. What exactly do people do for fun?
That kind of depends on what you think is fun, now doesn't it? My idea of fun, I am certain, is not yours. But through the years, my idea of fun has been to attend plays, opera, concerts, the zoo, sporting events; participate in sporting events like playing softball, tennis, bowling, boating (I'm not much of an athlete); attend annual community events and festivals; volunteer my time to non-profits; catch up with friends and family at home, at restaurants, at coffee shops, or outdoors at local parks; expand my brain by taking classes at various colleges, reading books or visiting libraries and bookstores; wander shops downtown; take day & weekend trips to places like Mt. Hood, The Gorge, the beach, Seattle, down the valley. There are certainly more things to do than there is time to do it, if you have a little imagination and put some thought into it ...

Quote:
To top it all off? you can't even pump your own gas!
Wow. What a stab to the heart. Yes, I can see how this is such a serious downfall, and is the topper to how bad living in Oregon truly is. Makes my heart warm just thinking of all the times I've voted down pumping my own gas.

Quote:
Now you're probably asking yourselves why I decided to move here right? I was lied too. I was told it was a completely different story. A "friend" of mine told me all these great things and made it seem opposite. When I visited for a bit it seemed pretty decent. I guess some things you can only pick up on by living some place though huh?
You probably need a better friend than to have one who lies to you this way. And if they can't manage to show you a good time in three months... But in future, I wouldn't take one persons' opinion on anything. Do better research, and decide for yourself.

Quote:
In just 2 months. I'm LEAVING Portland. I couldn't be happier! I'm going back to my friends! my family! in the BAY area! Where we have culture, decent weather, entertainment, variety in things to do! GOOD public transportation and driving!
Aw. You'll be such a loss to our poor little deprived burg. Isn't it funny that when San Francisco wanted to incorporate as a city, they had to come up here to Oregon to do it.

Quote:
Feel free and take the obligatory shot towards California now because I have insulted your town. Just know that the main reason you guys hate. Is because you never were as good as Cali, never could have been, and never will be. So thank you Portland! for giving me life experience! it sucked sure, but hey I got to see a different part of the world for a bit! because while Portland may suck, where I come from? is Awesome!!!
How provincial to think that going from San Francisco to Portland is seeing a "different part of the world." I hope you do get out and actually experience different parts of the world. San Francisco and Portland are way too similar to even use the word "different." And I can see how you find Portlanders have an "overly arrogant attitude." Sounds like it's jealousy, because they're trying to be more arrogant than someone from "Cali." Don't worry ... they don't hold a candle to you. You win on that one. And if it was so awesome, what does that say about you that you left it?

Quote:
So sayonara, arrivederci,see ya later, bye! peace out! Portland! and all the lil jimmies who say it's utopia!
Buh bye. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Look, San Francisco is a great city. But so is Portland. If Portland isn't for you, leave. That doesn't make the city deficient, just not a good fit for you. And the rest of us will all probably be happier to have you gone to somewhere that does make you happy. Hope going back home does it for you.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:46 PM

281 posts, read 712,919 times
Quote:
I was lied too.
Oregonians love to lie. For example, that was a very well written piece of non-garbage that never made me want to throw up all over your head.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:53 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times
Quote:
Well it's official, after spending the past 3 months living here I've been trying to figure out exactly what it is that makes Portland spoken of so highly by it's residents.

And I've come to a conclusion... it's overrated! for ALL I've heard about how safe it is and how it's one of the safest cities in the United States. Man oh man was whoever said that wrong. Ever since I've been here all I heard about is people disappearing, rape, theft, assault. Especially in the Northeast and Southeast

I mean let's be honest. It rains all the time and as a matter of fact I heard you guys only get a few weeks of actual summer time if that lol. And yes I know rain is part of the "life" but as for me, I like my skies with a bit of blue thanks. 9 months of rainy season? forget that!

The public transit system is a joke. If you aren't downtown you can forget about decent service.

It's severely lacking of diversity, not only does it have a history of the KKK. Everybody I spoke to said it's a bit of a hick town and to be honest I can sorta see why. What culture does it have? what culture do they associate with Portland? other than rain? I'm Samoan and it's very clear I'm out of place with the lack of diversity. It is after all "One of the whitest big cities in the nation"

The stupid hate on Californians, let it go! whatever the housing cost grudges were over or however that feud started. It's time to move on. Are they jealous of California? they say when you fail in California you get sentenced to Portland. Maybe that is why?

The whole smug factor "'I'm so much more open-minded than you are, which is why I don't listen to a thing you say." I've encountered alot of that

The phony sense of kindness. Sure by all means people are cool to ask a question to if you get lost. It's very anti social here it seems like though, people seem very afraid to step outside their safe little bubble

The hipster culture, those who think they are the coolest thing since sliced bread. With the overly arrogant attitude in coffee shops. It's everywhere sure but a much higher concentration in Portland

Downtown is a total bore, as are alot of surrounding areas. What exactly do people do for fun?

To top it all off? you can't even pump your own gas!

Now you're probably asking yourselves why I decided to move here right? I was lied too. I was told it was a completely different story. A "friend" of mine told me all these great things and made it seem opposite. When I visited for a bit it seemed pretty decent. I guess some things you can only pick up on by living some place though huh?

In just 2 months. I'm LEAVING Portland. I couldn't be happier! I'm going back to my friends! my family! in the BAY area! Where we have culture, decent weather, entertainment, variety in things to do! GOOD public transportation and driving!

Feel free and take the obligatory shot towards California now because I have insulted your town. Just know that the main reason you guys hate. Is because you never were as good as Cali, never could have been, and never will be. So thank you Portland! for giving me life experience! it sucked sure, but hey I got to see a different part of the world for a bit! because while Portland may suck, where I come from? is Awesome!!!

So sayonara, arrivederci,see ya later, bye! peace out! Portland! and all the lil jimmies who say it's utopia!
Need help packing? Ride to the airport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland