Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 02:16 PM

135 posts, read 222,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
So you posted this before I saw this and posted my last answer. I was trying to be helpful but now I see it's a lost cause. I have questions for you.

Why Portland? Why move here with no means of support? Why would you take a chance in a heavily forested wood where animals or humans could attack you and no one would find the body?

What do you expect to find here that you don't have where you are now? Obviously you are being met with all kinds of negativity for your plans. But you probably knew that going in with your question. You couldn't have honestly believe people would have said "Oh sure, camp in our park, you are so very welcome."

Come on, you can't be that naive. I call fake.

We get people like you posting all the time. Whether legitimate or not, the answer is always the same. Everyone picks on you, your seemingly simple but acutal loaded question turns into a tirade of how mean the world has treated you and life is so unfair.

Why can't they leave you alone?

I hope everyone will do that by not responding to you and posts like yours. I doubt that you will ever make it to Portland anyway. I don't think they ever do.
Well, just for your information, I'm ALREADY homeless, but in a burning desert! If I'm going to be homeless ANYWAY, I might as well come to a cooler rainier place.. Id rather freeze then burn.. I can always put on MORE clothes for heat(and yes, I will have raingear, and a waterproof small camo tent with a thermal blocking inside, along with a survival bag(also insulated with mylar material for anti-detection from thermal goggles, scanners, etc.). It must be nice to type from a superior position with a home, and a well-paying job, and act like the homeless are committing a crime by having no money and no place "legal" to sleep! Well excuse us poor people for being alive! We were just born here, that's all!

Old 06-05-2013, 02:23 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,447 times
I call BS. What homeless person has a computer to peruse message boards to figure out the best place to squat?

Maybe if he invested this time more wisely in getting a job instead of which public park to loiter in I'd have more sympathy.

And besides OP, everyone else has answered your question which is still a resounding YES

Old 06-05-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
I call BS. What homeless person has a computer to peruse message boards to figure out the best place to squat?

Maybe if he invested this time more wisely in getting a job instead of which public park to loiter in I'd have more sympathy.

And besides OP, everyone else has answered your question which is still a resounding YES
Really? Homeless people can't have laptops or netbooks? Amazing.. I have a cheap netbook I acquired for a mere 80$ last year, and it has been indispensable to my situation.. And being around a LOT of homeless people already, I can assure you that there are PLENTY of us who have access to the internet on a daily basis.. But its obvious I seem to be wasting my time here, since very few of you posters, who have careers, and nice homes or apts, and money, seem to have much sympathy period for those of us less fortunate.. Yes, I'm aware of the "street kids" that have been mentioned here(of whom I am NOT one), and the addicts, and the drunk bums, but there are a whole class of us who do not share the attributes of the afore-mentioned.. And who are out here because we have no other choice, usually due to financial hardship and the inability to secure ANY kind of work in an economy that's just 1 step up from a depression.. But I suppose that's impossible for the average tax-paying citizen to understand.. Who've never slept on a sidewalk, bench, or in the woods out of necessity!

Old 06-05-2013, 03:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
LOL! I have neither a home, I rent, nor a job.

I also call "foul" on this guy. Of all the others like him who have posted the same story, his is the least original or believable. The "hot desert" where have we heard that one before?

But keep 'em coming. I decided to return here because the remote to my analog to digital converter
box for my ten year old analog TV broke the day after the warranty ran out so I have to pay $20.00 for a new one and wait for a new one in the mail while I post this on my ten year old desk top computer. I wish I could afford an $80.00 notebook.

Now don't you all feel sorry for me?

So I anyway, I am without TV for the next few days and I need something with which to amuse myself.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:07 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Portland has enough trouble trying to deal with our homegrown population of homeless... We don't need any more people who move here thinking it's going to be any easier to be homeless here than somewhere else. A good chunk of our city resources downtown go to dealing with the homeless. Our most historic district is basically the dumping ground for any sort of place to help the homeless for most of the state and any others who end up in Portland.

It's rough to be homeless, but if you're not already in Portland and homeless, don't come here expecting it's going to be better here. Forest Park is a public park, not a campground.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:09 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
This is the same guy from last year from Las Vegas that wanted to live "stealthily" on the Oregon Coast while supporting himself by making cheap DVDs for the homeless on his laptop DVD burner.

What was his name?
ProffessorAnimalLoverJJD or something like that?

Oh yeah, here we go:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/orego...stal-town.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/portl...-portland.html

Enjoy!!!

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 06-05-2013 at 03:20 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 03:20 PM

Sorry to disappoint you, but I only just discovered this site a few days ago.. I didn't realize it was so negative against people to poor to pay skyrocketing rents! And its easy to have negative opinions about people less fortunate and unluckier then yourselves..

Old 06-05-2013, 03:34 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

It's rough to be homeless, but if you're not already in Portland and homeless, don't come here expecting it's going to be better here. Forest Park is a public park, not a campground.
Exactly. No person who pays tax dollars to have these public spaces kept clean and safe is going to give you advice on where to live there.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
This is the same guy from last year from Las Vegas that wanted to live "stealthily" on the Oregon Coast while supporting himself by making cheap DVDs for the homeless on his laptop DVD burner.

What was his name?
ProffessorAnimalLoverJJD or something like that?

Oh yeah, here we go:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/orego...stal-town.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/portl...-portland.html

Enjoy!!!

That's what I was thinking too. He sounds just like him. He wound up having several different screen names. One was teacher something I forget the third. Same modus operendi.

They are all the same. They post here asking one question But they don't want to hear answers, they just want to talk about their miserable lives and how it's everyone elses fault. That's why they make assumptions about how everyone else has it so much better than they do because in their fantasy world they believe everyone does.

Boo hoo. But in this case, I would not be surprised if it's the same guy.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:49 PM

78 posts, read 127,144 times
My dad lived like this in the very early '70s-*however*, he did not camp in a public park, and he worked daily at a local book store, biking to and from the shop. I am assuming the OP is in his early-mid twenties, as am I, and for yet another peek into the immaturity and selfishness of my generation, I do apologize. He is self-victimizing, and erroneously believes that we are all yuppie-types making 6-figures. Ha! I wish! I was attending college for a degree in acting, and realized that that decision was not at all financially feasible. I now attend school for a higher degree in pharmacy, and work part-time in retail. Not my idea of a dream life, and I rarely have any leftover time or funds right now.

I guess this sort of aimless, infantile group of homeless could only be specific to the Pacific Northwest, because of the mild weather. Here in Raleigh, there is a nice little enclave of homeless you can speak with who are encamped in a downtown park. Most all are in their 40s-60s, and are having extreme difficulties returning to the lives they once knew. They will gladly eat a sandwich you offer, and tell you of their stories.

Yeah, I can't see the OP or any of the Portland snots behaving in such a way, and I can't have any sympathy for those of their ilk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland