Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:06 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,218,454 times

Advertisements

Familiarity with Richmond, Virginia? Another hipster-oriented city? If so, I'm curious what you might have to say about it.

I'm personally interested in Richmond, Virginia. I used to think of it as just a city with a lot of crime. But, researching it more, it seems to have some great dense housing, a large college population, and a huge hipster scene. I'm not interested in hipsters exactly, but I do like the kinds of cities that hipsters are attracted to.

I'm more curious about the Portland perspective, as I used to live in Portland, and loved the mentality of the people. The Portland perspective is the one I'd most be able to relate to when looking at Richmond through Portland eyes, as I can identify so much more with the Portland perspective. So, Portlanders, what do you think of Richmond, Virginia?

Positive or negative, it would all be interseting and informative. Even if you've only researched it, and never been there, that's alright as well. Even better if you have been there, or have lived, or considered living there though. But ANYTHING would be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 10:14 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,211,133 times
More on the negative side, being someone who grew up in Virginia, Richmond was a pretty good city until I moved to Portland. There is no comparison of Richmond to Portland because the two cities are nothing alike.

And a friend of mine moved from Portland to Richmond because of a job, lived in the Fan District is the closest Richmond has to a hip neighborhood that could be compared to Portland, and even then it is just a let down.

Virginia really doesn't have any city that is comparable to Portland.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:32 PM

135 posts, read 222,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
More on the negative side, being someone who grew up in Virginia, Richmond was a pretty good city until I moved to Portland. There is no comparison of Richmond to Portland because the two cities are nothing alike.

And a friend of mine moved from Portland to Richmond because of a job, lived in the Fan District is the closest Richmond has to a hip neighborhood that could be compared to Portland, and even then it is just a let down.

Virginia really doesn't have any city that is comparable to Portland.
Believe what you may, Richmond was my second home.. I was there about 8 years, back in the late 80's to mid 90's... Not sure what a "hipster" is, but Richmond is a LOT more then the area around VCU! I used to hang out in the fan(village café anyone?), 3rd str diner all night, downtown, broad st, and Jackson area(the serious ghetto).. I quite liked Richmond, if I could go back, I would.. LOTS of wierdos(thanks to VCU), besides myself.. Good city to be homeless in though, LOTS of free food places....

Old 07-19-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homelessadvocate View Post
Believe what you may, Richmond was my second home.. I was there about 8 years, back in the late 80's to mid 90's... Not sure what a "hipster" is, but Richmond is a LOT more then the area around VCU! I used to hang out in the fan(village café anyone?), 3rd str diner all night, downtown, broad st, and Jackson area(the serious ghetto).. I quite liked Richmond, if I could go back, I would.. LOTS of wierdos(thanks to VCU), besides myself.. Good city to be homeless in though, LOTS of free food places....
Oh Richmond is a great city if you have never been to anywhere else in the country. I won't argue that, but the moment someone experiences the Northwest, it is hard to even try to compare it to Richmond because nothing in the Northwest can be found in Richmond.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:05 PM

135 posts, read 222,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh Richmond is a great city if you have never been to anywhere else in the country. I won't argue that, but the moment someone experiences the Northwest, it is hard to even try to compare it to Richmond because nothing in the Northwest can be found in Richmond.
Actually, having covered BOTH the northwest AND Richmond, I can honestly say it goes both ways! For example, the original waffle houses can only be found down south, along with shoneys, and I LOVE the southern breakfasts!! Hashbrowns, grits and eggs made southern style, cant beat it.. And there are certainly some great things unique to Richmond, which cant be found anywhere else, and same thing with Oregon Im sure.. Both have their unique appeal...

Old 07-20-2013, 08:37 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,447,508 times
My perspective of Richmond is the depressed capital of the Confederate States.

My impression, granted, based only on driving through from one end to the other two years ago - twice, was that of a gritty down trodden city that had seen better days. I don't know what street I was on, but it looked worse then the Southern end of 82nd and had even more "street life" then that area did back in the day. I drove up into one of the neighborhoods, and while there were some decent houses there, it just felt off. This was at the height of the Foreclosure issues, so a lot of empty houses and the neighorhood itself was noisy at nearly midnight with people walking the streets and yelling as loud as they could.

I also went up around VDU and found it a slightly better area, but didn't find much interesting to make me stop. The only good thing I can really say about Richmond is that it's close to Colonial Williamsburg.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:14 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,706,974 times
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!! I'm from Richmond, born and raised. After 25 years finally got out. Never lived in hipster areas but I've lived in henrico/Richmond city/chesterfield/mechanicsville areas. PORTLAND DOES NOT COMPARE. Crime IS THROUGH THE ROOF in Richmond especially for a city of that size! There is NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING to do in Richmond. Don't ask people from Portland what richmond is like, they can't even imagine such a dull place. I agree it's ok if you've never been anywhere your entire life.

If you live in Richmond THE MOST you'll do will involve VCU. otherwise you'll constantly be going to DC Or Maryland for events like raves and cons. Even VA Beach kinda sucks from what I hear.

Also it can get VERRRRRRY hot. Just miserably hot for WEEKS. It's not so much the temperature but the looooong duration of 97 degrees for 3-5 days, downpour, downpour, 97 degrees 3-5 days again.

The people are from another planet. Here it is WEIRD being in a nice city. I can't believe how approachable people in Portland are. In Richmond you'll be looked up and down if you use manners. It's not a friendly place at all and I honestly feel sorry for someone leaving here for there. Richmond is where souls go to die. Cheaper housing is NOT worth it.

No markets to buy food. I hope you like Walmart & McDonald's they're every 30 minutes. On laburnum alone they have like 5 within 5 minutes look up south laburnum if you don't believe me. It's disgusting. Everyone smokes there. Richmond is an eyesore compared to Portland. Everything is all borded up and closed, city lawn un maintained, potholes galore.

The only things in common are the large amount of people with tattoos and the amount of bridges to get from downtown into chesterfield.

The good thigs about Richmond compared to Portland.. I guess there is no traffic but then again it's because the place is literally a wasteland. You can smell raw sewage coming off the highway and the James River just looks like a continuous stream of cola flowing down the rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homelessadvocate View Post
Actually, having covered BOTH the northwest AND Richmond, I can honestly say it goes both ways! For example, the original waffle houses can only be found down south, along with shoneys, and I LOVE the southern breakfasts!! Hashbrowns, grits and eggs made southern style, cant beat it.. And there are certainly some great things unique to Richmond, which cant be found anywhere else, and same thing with Oregon Im sure.. Both have their unique appeal...
I think I just had an aneurism from reading this. No offense but are you serious? You think it's fun to to "homeless" in Richmond? You would move back to Richmond.. For Waffle House and breakfast food? This is exactly what im talking about from people in Richmond, these are the highlights of their day, Eating fast foods and going to bed. It's ironic you don't know what a hipster is but anyway on a more serious post richmond is seriously a terrible place to relocate to. At least consider northern Virginia near DC.

Last edited by Anders15; 07-20-2013 at 10:27 AM..

Old 07-20-2013, 10:35 AM

Anders nailed it with the description of Richmond.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:01 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,904,318 times
I was born in Richmond, lived there the first 18 years of my life before heading to the mountains for school. I love Richmond in its own right, but it's totally different from Portland. First of all, Richmond is FAR more diverse than Portland: this isn't meant to insult Portland, it's just a fact. Feel free to visit Wikipedia and see the racial percentages. This can certainly change the dynamics of a city. Richmond has a heck of a lot more historical value than Portland having been the place where Patrick Henry said "give me liberty or give me death." It was also the capital of a country at one time. Different histories change the dynamics of the city. Finally, Richmond is an economic engine and the area is home to 6 Fortune 500 companies, Portland has 1, Beaverton has another, and to my knowledge that's it. Richmond also has a massive campus for Capital One out near 288 and Patterson I believe.

That said, I love Portland. It's a play ground for a 20 something year old male. It's not stuffy and no one takes themselves too seriously here. The scenery is incredible. I'm fortunate enough to have been a 20 something to land a professional job at an accounting firm downtown with the Big 4 (transferred with my office). Most my age aren't so lucky. I've made a lot of friends and I love the Oregon beaches. I just love the move I made.

These comparison's between Portland and Richmond are a little much. I get that VCU is hipster, but that doesn't make it like Portland. I just don't see many similarities beyond that. There are so many factors that go into development of a city, of what makes Portland, Portland, and what makes Richmond, Richmond. Richmond will never be green like Portland.

One day, I will move back to Richmond though. Nothing against Portland, but my entire extended family lives there and I want to be able to drive to VT football games again. I have to say I am pleased that the city appeears to be turning around and growing in population. I predict great things for Richmond the coming decade, but none of my predictions involves it looking like Portland.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:21 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,447,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
Don't ask people from Portland what richmond is like, they can't even imagine such a dull place.
Lakeview, Oregon /smartalec_off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland