Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 03:58 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,546,580 times

Advertisements

I admire your cycling prowess, but I doubt that every cyclist is as adept, or as thoughtful, as you are.

Because of safety problems, I think there should be a delineation between car and cycle lanes/streets.

I guess my perspective is that of a New Yorker who watched as cyclists were regularly run over by buses, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 04:27 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,466,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post

Because of safety problems, I think there should be a delineation between car and cycle lanes/streets.
That is exactly what a lot of people are fighting for. Europe does exactly this, but in the US bikes have to share lanes with cars.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:17 PM

892 posts, read 1,596,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Personally, I am not one of those cyclists who needs coddling from motorists when I am in the street. If I am on a street with no bike lane I will automatically ride as far to the right as practical. Most vehcular cyclists call this riding in "the door zone" and are horrified by cyclists that do it. Thing is, the vehicle code is clear. Cyclists are to ride as far to the right as practical and drivers exiting vehicles are to check for oncoming traffic before opening their doors!
I've ridden in the door zone, it can be hair raising when you spy a clueless person in a car ahead of you.

What I'm writing about is more the difference between riding down W Burnside vs riding down NW Couch. Neither road has bike lanes. Bicyclists aren't banned from riding down either street but I don't think its very bright of the bike to choose the street with heavier traffic and more distractions to drivers. There's a very limited set of roads that meet the XXX is stupid to bicycle on statement. These are usually four-lane roads, no curb parking and no bike lanes. If you tell google you're on a bike, it would never route you on them unless your destination is on that street and then only for a block.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:36 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,374,447 times
Now if we can just get the Bike Riders to pay their share of the road projects and bike lanes.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,271,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Now if we can just get the Bike Riders to pay their share of the road projects and bike lanes.
Bike lanes only cost a small fraction of cost of road projects and a bike lane has a lower wear and tear.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:49 PM

But they are paid for with Gasoline taxes and license fees. Now there is something to be peeved about. Let's license Bikes.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:31 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,640,759 times
Quote:

As a full time cyclist it peeves me, when drivers think I should not be allowed on this or that street. What if you, as a driver were not allowed on this or that street?! You'd lose your mind. What?! I can't drive down 21st street anymore?! I'm writing the Mayor, this is absolute insanity. Why should bicycles be relegated to the sidewalks? Pedestrians don't want bicycles there by the way. Am I to get from this that bicycles simply shouldn't exist? I don't know... I think the recumbent bicycles/human powered vehicle industry is going to explode, and soon. Time will tell.

H
It would be nice if it exploded as it would bring some diversity to recumbent riders. Right now it seems like recumbent riders are all old wealthy white men. Maybe that's why they're irritating. All the riders I see seem to putter along in their own world. Cyclists in general don't bother me but recumbent riders often do. They're also so much harder to see.....

Last edited by oldtintype; 08-30-2013 at 08:02 PM..

Old 08-30-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
In Portland, I'm relying on a GPS or Google Maps. I'm looking for the most straightforward journey, just like a driver is. That might put me on Woodlawn Blvd. or whatever street that was that is fast and dangerous. It shouldn't be... dangerous for me or for you. We can all share the road.

H
You should get the free cyclists maps that show the bike lanes and best biking routes that (I believe) the City of Portland puts out. They're very helpful as they give you an idea of the safest or fastest routes. They're put together by cyclists (BTA?) and are great.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
It would be nice if it exploded as it would bring some diversity to recumbent riders. Right now it seems like recumbent riders are all old wealthy white men. Maybe that's why they're irritating. All the riders I see seem to putter along and not get out of the way. Cyclists in general don't bother me but recumbent riders often do. They're also so much harder to see.....
Have you seen the price on these things? I say tax them by value in lieu of licensing, and require registration with stickers displayed prominently so you could ticket the scofflaws.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Have you seen the price on these things? I say tax them by value in lieu of licensing, and require registration with stickers displayed prominently so you could ticket the scofflaws.
Most cyclists also drive cars. That would be taxing twice. It will never happen and it shouldn't. Especially because many people ride bikes for financial reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland