Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 02:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,002 times

Advertisements

I've been here for 3 years now and the issue is, consistency. You can ask next door neighbors how they like it here, and probably they will have different opinions. I'm not too interested in the rain this much, now I mean this much by this often. I have lived in southern Missouri, same amount per year, but more in one day or three days then one week here. This place IS beautiful though, 2nd only to Alaska that I've found. Mountains, trees, flowers, wildlife, rivers, ocean, GREEN. I often hike in the gorge, definately look into it, but if its raining, theres no one out there, like no ones used to the rain. 2008 did have a long summer though into October and November it was still nice, and now its Jan. 09. I just got back from newport where it was 65 and gorgeous, very unseasonal, but no one in the water. In fact, I've rarely seen anyone in the ocean at the beach, summer or not. Which begs, how fun is an ocean we don't get into. Back in Portland, 48 and windy. The weather is an issue if you are used to it being nice everyday, or at least most of the time. I've also lived in Tucson and western Nebraska, lots of sun, so I'm not in love but have maintained well and get out more then a lot of the locals. I'm saying if you are going to have rain, it needs to be warm, if its cold, then less frequent. Also, the people I see downtown or anywhere outside when it rains are just in a hurry to get indoors. Downtown is right by the Willamette river which you don't swim in, too contaminated, sounds great, right next to the busiest part of town. I mean I love the IDEA of Portland but the actuality of it is you struggle through 8 months to get to 4 months, with occasional breaks. Only place where I've heard scattered sunspots as a weather term. Jobs are what you hear, but you have to know someone I guess. The current economic situation doesnt help anyone and all businesses are looking to get through. I had no problem getting a job here when I arrived, but I knew the GM. I was recently laid off by a small business and am not getting even a call back although I have plenty of experience and credibility in my field. The scene here is almost fake, like money but no ambition and plans only to make the most money with the least amount of work.No heart unless it fills pocketbooks fast. So alot of times you work hard for someone just taking advantage of you. I know this might be everywhere, but here I just see many more two-faced people then anywhere. This is very difficult if you have a genuine care for the well-being of others as I do, I have a two year old and I can't see myself raising her here. Also, I recycle, but I did before I moved here and Portland is supposedly the greenest city they say, because....... theres not trash on the streets, wrong, theres not pollution in the rivers, wrong, because they are making an effort to get better, yes. I commend them for that but its like thanking someone for shutting the door when they leave, shouldn't this be expected. Music scene is highly deceptive, bands play here, on their way to Seattle but I mean who is FROM Portland. No one! There are many underground garage bands, basement bands and artists including myself but that doesnt make the music scene here flourish. The northwest is about the landscape, The Oregon Trail, volcanos, and rain. The artists that are from here, stay here, and are loved locally, but no one outside the Northwest has heard of them. Getting into some shows are like getting Super Bowl tickets at the 50 yard line. Theres bands playing every night, and next week and last week, same songs or borrowed from other artists. I'm not ragging, just being brutally honest.You are safe here, White Non-Hispanic (75.5%), which doesn't guarantee safety but as long as you aren't looking for trouble you won't find it. Example, ride the Max from Gresham to the Zoo, where in many other cities you might be worried by the co-passengers, here, everyones just happy to be out of the rain. The Max is almost the best public transportation there is anywhere, outside of New Yorks subways, and they are constantly looking to improve. Everywhere there is crime, but this is a Kansas suburb compared to St. Louis, Memphis, K.C., New Orleans, D.C., etc. Of course all those are considered midwest to eastern cities. The attitude out west is much more laid back. California, although only next door, completely different animal. There are amazing areas of agriculture around, Hood River, Dundee Hills Wine. I worked with a chef who got almost everything organic from within 100 miles, from meat to fish, to fruits and veggies. Alot of restaurants label items from where they got them, Draper Valley Chicken, Carlton Farms Pork but if you aren't familiar, doesn't mean anything. That being said, I feel people here have to tell you how good they are, but if you are that good, do you have to say anything? Or does it just show? For all these reasons, I am looking to relocate, somewhere closer to the rest of my family, midwest, and somewhere more sunny. I've narrowed it down to a couple areas based on my travels and past places I have actually lived. I'm not saying don't come here, I'm saying visit for 3 months, 2 in the winter and 1 in the summer, because thats what its like. If it was up to me, I'd have a house in Arizona or Florida in the Winter and one in Alaska or Oregon in the summer, perfect set up, and be a pilot with my own plane. Anyways, don't just take my advice with a grain of salt, I didn't write this to be negative or positive, just to give you my honest opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 07:08 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williedogg23 View Post
I mean I love the IDEA of Portland but the actuality of it is you struggle through 8 months to get to 4 months, with occasional breaks. Only place where I've heard scattered sunspots as a weather term. Jobs are what you hear, but you have to know someone I guess. The current economic situation doesnt help anyone and all businesses are looking to get through.
This is exactly how we felt. On paper, Portland looked like our perfect place. In reality, we were disappointed. I'm really glad that we lived there for awhile, though, or I would have spent the rest of my life romanticizing Portland.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:43 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
I was considering relocating to Portland but i have decided against it.Im leaning more towards colo.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:04 AM

162 posts, read 513,323 times
I love Portland. I have lived in several other major U.S cities and for me Portland tops all of them. I don't care about the clouds and rain. I lived in Dallas, Texas where it was sunny 300 days a year and was no happier with the sun beaming down on me day after day. Give me clouds and drizzle any day, as long as I have access to beautiful hiking trails, waterfalls, an indescribable coastline, fresher air, skiing, 120 foot tall douglas fir trees, windsurfing, etc etc etc..And when the sun does come out in Portland, there is an appreciation for it which is not to be found in a city where the sun shines 300 days a year. When the sun shines here, you enjoy it 10 times more, because you get less of it and the above mentioned outdoor activities help compliment a nice sunny day.

What I don't understand here are on this forum is the constant bickering about people in Portland. How high of a pedastool do you place people on? If it is high, you will be dissappointed in not only Portland, but any city you go. I can honestly say Portland people are NOT that different from any other group of people i've encountered in the 3 major cities I lived in previously, Chicago, Dallas and Denver. For me, people are people. I didn't come to Portland for the people and didn't expect much. With that being said, I have been pleasantly surprised at some of the friendships that have resulted here. Keep low expectations, stay away from the extremists by ignoring them and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland