Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 07:03 PM

13 posts, read 14,312 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. Yeah I know...another transplant. I just wanted to tell you a little about myself. I'm a single 32 yo male who's moving to the Portland area. I do concrete construction as a profession. In my spare time I enjoy running, disc golfing, hiking, and pretty much anything that keeps me active. My plan is when I get out there (2 weeks). I'll look for a room for rent on CL that's month to month until I find what I'm looking for.

The biggest reason I'm drawn to the area is that I enjoy the outdoors. It seems Oregon offers a lot of the similar things that Wisconsin has, except for the brutally cold winters. It would be a lot easier to train for marathons in 40 degree rain than sub zero snow. I'm a big soccer fan, and I think it would be awesome to be able to go to a bunch of Timbers matches.

In the research that I have done. At first glance I seem to be interested in the Eastern part of Portland. I'd like to live in an area where I would see some cultural diversity. Which usually brings delicious food. So the question is, what are some areas I should check out? Some trails for running nearby would be nice, but not a big deal. Another thing that interests me is music (rock/metal). So a music venue would be a bonus. I'm flexible, so I can adapt to my surroundings very easy. I know it should go without saying, but I'd like to avoid crime-ridden areas.

I've been in contact with a couple of contractors, and shouldn't be a problem finding work with my experience. With the amount of construction a big city like Portland has, is helpful too. So my only concern I have, is where to live. That's where I'm hoping you guys and gals can help me out. Thanks for your time, and I'm curious in what you have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 08:59 PM

10,994 posts, read 20,636,000 times
I live west of downtown and don't pretend to know neighborhoods on the east side very well so my thoughts are from a distance.

Portland isn't very diverse but Chinese restaurants are often an indication of some diversity. I brought up Google maps of Portland and asked it to find Chinese restaurants. Interestingly there are a number west of Gresham & Troutdale, east of I-205, between I-84 and Hgy 26. That area will get you onto thoroughfares quickly and it appears that there are concrete contractor offices in that vicinity.

Be aware that job sites west of Portland will involve a beastly commute.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:03 AM

609 posts, read 811,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post

Be aware that job sites west of Portland will involve a beastly commute.
I just have to second this. Portland may look compact on a map but the traffic is hellacious.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:39 AM

13 posts, read 14,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
I just have to second this. Portland may look compact on a map but the traffic is hellacious.
From what I have read. It sounds like wherever you live you are going to have to deal with a brutal commute. It's something that I'm going to have to get used too.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:51 AM

10,994 posts, read 20,636,000 times
The problem for a construction worker is that you have no control over the location of the jobsite. The location of the contractor's office is only marginally indicative of the jobs they bid on but because concrete contractors have forms and shoring they haul to a jobsite they are less likely to bid on jobs clear across creation.

I don't think finding a job will be a problem but finding a job that is convenient to your residence will limit your options.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:11 PM

892 posts, read 1,597,936 times
But if it's just a day job, the commute is to the office/yard to load up a truck. Driving from the yard to the job site is part of work so while it could be annoying to drive across town, you usually are on the clock while doing it which relieves some of the stress.

The only concrete contractors I've had any contact with are in the Milwaukie/Clackamas area. You may want to stay in SE, Milwaukie or at least convenient to I-205.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:15 PM

3,748 posts, read 4,988,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprl_out View Post
From what I have read. It sounds like wherever you live you are going to have to deal with a brutal commute. It's something that I'm going to have to get used too.
I don't know, I find Portland traffic can be worse than traffic in Los Angeles in a lot of cases.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:41 PM

7,842 posts, read 4,597,146 times
Job and transplant issues aside, Oregon and Wisconsin are eerily similar sans arctic winters. Portland=Milwaukee, Eugene=Madison, Cascade/Coast Range Foothills=Dells. God knows both places are awash with PBR. Sconnies seldom have trouble fitting it.
Good luck!

Old 05-25-2015, 05:12 PM

584 posts, read 1,344,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprl_out View Post
Positive is everything.......You are single so i wouldn't worry too much about it. Just stay somewhere centrally located and you will be fine.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:32 PM

346 posts, read 467,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Job and transplant issues aside, Oregon and Wisconsin are eerily similar sans arctic winters. Portland=Milwaukee, Eugene=Madison, Cascade/Coast Range Foothills=Dells. God knows both places are awash with PBR. Sconnies seldom have trouble fitting it.
Good luck!
As someone who has spent years living in each place, I would tend to agree with this; however, I would consider the Driftless Region to be a better comparison to the foothills than the Dells (although some may consider the Dells to be in the Driftless Region, I consider it to be its far eastern edge).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland