Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Portland difficult to find a career level job?
YES 50 64.10%
NO 28 35.90%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 02:28 PM

892 posts, read 1,595,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyd View Post
Vehicle remarketing, the base salary is around 35k and bonuses are anywhere between 10-25k a year. I guess Portlanders thought is was too good to be true.
So, a used car sales person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 02:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,242,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
I am guessing this is what it is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_remarketing

Old 12-15-2015, 04:32 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,910,986 times
Taking this question totally at face, yes, Portland is vastly overrated, generally by people who have never lived here.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:04 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,631,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Taking this question totally at face, yes, Portland is vastly overrated, generally by people who have never lived here.
This is the most honest statement in this thread. This is the effect of Portlandia--so many people see the show in [pick a city] and decide that the whole city is filled with people like Fred and Carrie. Portlanders know that hipsters exist here, but so do yuppies, junkies, Mexican families, homeless people, students... in other words, it's a city with people that are just trying to make a living--just like every other city in the US. It's as unique as Des Moines or Salt Lake City, but not objectively more special than any other city.

Most residents see Portland for what it is, warts and all. Some love it, some tolerate it, some hate it. And I think we're all waiting for the rest of the country to get over it.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:24 PM

148 posts, read 178,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
Nah, its hard to explain, but theres's no sales and its based out of an Auction

Old 12-16-2015, 08:56 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,950,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyd View Post
Nah, its hard to explain, but theres's no sales and its based out of an Auction
So, even you don't know what it is you do, but reasonable people should jump on the phone when they read your classified ad... ... alrighty then...

Old 12-16-2015, 09:51 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,466,505 times
Quote:
And I think we're all waiting for the rest of the country to get over it.
Amen!
And when they do, I hope Portland's population reduces by about 20%.

I believe Portland has finally hit a plateau.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:38 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,431,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am hoping this rain helps a few people to decide to leave or not move here. Some slowing would be nice, or at least pushing out those that don't like this weather would be a plus. As I always say, I love it when it rains in Portland because it always helps a Californian (or anyone who wants a lot of sunlight) a reason to leave.
It's funny, a couple of Portland natives and a couple of long term transplants (me being one of the long term transplants) had this same conversation a couple of days ago. All our businesses are benefiting from the crazy growth the last couple of years and still we're all hoping the recent weather will discourage and push out a bunch of the less hardy new transplants.

The weather been entirely too nice the last couple of years - the winters too dry/sunny and the summers too warm/sunny. The new transplants need to be treated to some reality of what Oregon weather is really normally like.

What would really be nice is if people only moved here if they had jobs already lined up. We already have way more people than we need to fill all the no-skill minimum wage jobs. People who want to move here need to have skills that are in demand in the Portland job market and that pay well enough for them to be able to afford the high housing costs.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:45 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,242,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Amen!
And when they do, I hope Portland's population reduces by about 20%.

I believe Portland has finally hit a plateau.
I don't know, I think we still have a lot more population growing to go before Portland starts to plateau.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:22 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,596,301 times
A massage therapist poster wanting to move here took exception when I wrote that s/he likely couldn't make a living with that occupation in Portland. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland