Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 10:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,811 posts, read 58,359,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theforestmoon View Post
... but what makes California drivers stick out terribly up there?
1) Sitting in line at a food / drink Drive-up line when it is not raining (such as they do for hours at an In&Out)
2) Driving a CLEAN white pearlescent (impractical) pickup or SUV with low profile tires, PLASTIC running boards, or 'custom' trim pieces (Flares) and extra lights. Handle bar streamers on your bike will be a DEAD giveaway
3) Not following the Oregon unspoken Rules (considerate of others / yet passive aggressive) (Not sure how an Oregon driver can cope in Boston... they are the ones STUCK incessantly going in circles in the rotary... letting everyone else have the 'right-or-way'. Or the ones sitting at a self service gas station waiting for an 'attendant'.

Oregon has it's share of speeders, especially on the "Nanny state low-Speed-limit" on it's Interstate Highways,

I am certain a 45-50 mph speed limit would get a very quick voter approval in Oregon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 04:35 PM

32 posts, read 66,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I am certain a 45-50 mph speed limit would get a very quick voter approval in Oregon
...is that on the freeway?! what's the speed limit now?!

Old 08-20-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I moved from OC 5 years ago. And like you, I moved because this is home. Or at least my soul says it is.

pdxMiIKEpdx summed it up the best of what people dislike about transplants. I'd say that goes for any place and transplant.

In my own experience, since you're moving up here because it feels like home, people will view it differently than those that moved "to get out of LA and the traffic and the high prices" (don't get me wrong, we all kinda do) or "job opportunity". Instead of lying or avoiding saying you're from LA, do what I do. I simply say, "I'm born and raised in SoCal, but this has always been home". Most people will ask what you mean and you can tell them how it's always felt like home. Seriously, people melt when I tell them how I feel like my soul is home. Any Oregonian who wanted to view me as any other douchy Californian, let's it go because they see that I get why they love this place. And then, I'm an Oregonian in their eyes.

As for meeting people, I think that will depend on your age, lifestyle, and personality. I'm a 40-something, childfree (by choice), dog mom, homebody, introvert, so no matter where I go, it's hard for me to make friends. But I'm also fine being alone; it'd just be nice to have more people to go do things with. And yet, this is the same lifestyle I had back in CA. Whereas my cousin's moved up from NorCal about 6 years ago and they have a huge network of friends due to their kids, church, and doing things in their community.

Random suggestions and thoughts if you decide to move.

1. if you own a car and don't have the pink slip, order it BEFORE you move. Yes, you have 30 days to change your plates/license, BUT, I was told there's a 28-day minimum wait to get your pink slip in CA. Mine took over a month to get to me. Sidenote: registration will be sooooooo much cheaper than CA
2. remember, u-turns are basically not allowed. They're not 100% illegal, but view it that way, it's easier to remember

3. it's still weird not pumping my own gas, lol

4. If you don't drive horrible and aren't a total douche, no one will slash your tires
5. Considering what people told me here vs my actual experience, I don't think you have much to worry about especially if you feel you belong here more than CA.

6. People here are actually really friendly, native or not.

7. Cost of living is totally dependent on your lifestyle. For me, it didn't change much. My income to housing ratio is about the same. However, my electric bill is much higher due to electric heat
8. not sure how much time you've spent up here, but people who say you don't need a/c lie. (according to my phone, it's 94 right now and gonna get a bit hotter- it cools off around midnight - well, down to 76 or so).

From one Californian to another, who feels this is home; move. Just do it! Had to throw in Nike's slogan. No matter what is happening in my life, it's still better than it happening in SoCal. I live more or less the same and yet, it's so different to really feel home here. When I drive to work, I am in awe of the scenery every single day. Been that way for 5 years. It's going to take a few decades for it not to make me want to just stop and stare.
This is the loveliest answer and made me feel so much more at peace with my decision. It's like my heart/soul knows where it belongs, and I'm glad to know that others experience it too!

Thank you so much for this response, and your amazing points as well!

Old 08-20-2018, 07:13 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,896,006 times
Quote:
...is that on the freeway?! what's the speed limit now?!
50 on some, 55 on others. You have to get pretty far out of Portland to see limits above that. You'll get used to it. No seriously, I had to buy a faster car in CA because I drive 20 mph faster every day than I used to and the old slow one wasn't cutting it.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,522,547 times
I see you are posting in other forums as well to find your perfect new home. It's best to get all information before you decide so as to make good comparisons. I wouldn't worry so much about how to behave in any of those places. You really have to be yourself wherever you are or you will never be happy.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I see you are posting in other forums as well to find your perfect new home. It's best to get all information before you decide so as to make good comparisons. I wouldn't worry so much about how to behave in any of those places. You really have to be yourself wherever you are or you will never be happy.
Yes, I am really leaning towards Portland the most as I really do feel a pull to the area, but I do like having as much info and as many back up plans as possible.

You make a good point. Thank you!

Old 08-21-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think you should look at Vermont. Portland's a ****hole anymore, and it'll just get worse as the fires and other conditions drive more Californians up.
I've actually seen Vermont come up a lot being recommended to me in my other threads. How is it comparable to Portland?

Old 08-21-2018, 03:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,898,500 times
Quote:
I've actually seen Vermont come up a lot being recommended to me in my other threads. How is it comparable to Portland?
I can't compare it to Portland, sorry. From what I've read, it seems to have more of what you want.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:23 PM

63,241 posts, read 29,351,118 times
I have family in the Portland area and love most all of Oregon. I know Oregon doesn't have sales tax but from what I understand their property taxes are pretty high. I would like to move near the coast as it's cooler. I'm retired so work isn't an issue. I am originally from back East and miss the greenness, rain and cooler weather but I don't miss the snow. Do the coastal areas get much snow?

I have lived in So. Calif. for many years and am sick of the heat and dry weather. I should have moved long ago but it's never too late.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:58 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,082,564 times
Quote:
This is the loveliest answer and made me feel so much more at peace with my decision. It's like my heart/soul knows where it belongs, and I'm glad to know that others experience it too!

Thank you so much for this response, and your amazing points as well!

I'm glad you found that helpful. In all the years I've been on this board, I don't think I've come across anyone who said they're moving because it's home. Not like how we feel about it. Oh, some say they love it, like it, enjoy it, but no one has said, "it feels like home" or "my heart/soul is home". and that's why i said, it's different when people find out why we moved. They're way more accepting, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland