Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 11:17 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,812,554 times

Advertisements

I have heard from a few people that the people in Portland are very racist and it is not as liberal as most people think. Is this true? I have always had an interest in visiting portland and maybe even living there. I currently live in a suburb of Atlanta and I know it may not be quite as diverse as Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 12:20 AM

333 posts, read 328,695 times
It's nowhere near as diverse as Atlanta. Portland does have a black population, but I think that the best word to describe it would be dispersed. That wasn't always the case, but it has been for over a decade now. As for it being a bad place for black people to live, I think that statement is misleading. I've been here for over 20 years, and I have had very few interactions that I would describe as racist, and those were mostly with people from different countries. Most of the locals are highly opposed to all things bigoted. I am really into the outdoors and often travel in very rural parts of Oregon, where people may go months without seeing a black person, and I've never had any problems. As long as you are OK with the fact that the ethnic mix is totally different from Georgia, then you'll be fine.

Old 03-08-2021, 10:17 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,561,057 times
Race won't be an issue, politics may be. Portland metro is very liberal.

Black, white, Hispanic, Asian, Native American... neighborhood matters. We are having a problem with gun violence which seems to be more frequent in neighborhoods on the far east side. These folks have cars so it isn't concentrated within a few blocks. The Black Lives Matter issue has impacted policing, the gun violence group in Portland Police was disbanded with predictable results. Then there are the groups who think vandalism of businesses accomplishes something, what escapes me. Most of that is downtown or aimed at the Police Union, courthouses, and immigration. Then there are the folks who pitch camp along the roads and leave mountains of trash. We have a weak and dysfunctional City Council.

Your choice of where to live will be impacted by your budget and what you are looking forward to as a lifestyle. It isn't difficult to avoid the issues listed in the paragraph above but it will take some research. I know the city west of the Willamette River, others who frequent the forum can help as well.

Come give us a try.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:12 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,733,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Race won't be an issue, politics may be. Portland metro is very liberal.
I would say that race is an issue in every single city in the country. Portland is no exception. But it is probably accurate to say that it is no worse in Portland than most other places.

Portland is probably the whitest major city in the country. So I expect that does affect the experience of people of color in this city to some extent. Mostly just in terms of having to deal with clueless white people.

But you will be fine.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:29 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Make the visit you have been considering. Visit several stores and businesses. View a few parks. Just acting like a tourist for a few days should be enough for you to judge the level of racism in the area.

I wouldn't expect you to run into any problems, but there a few jerks to be found no matter where you go.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:03 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,561,057 times
I agree with TexasDiver and OregonWoodSmoke, there are jerks everywhere. IMHO avoid the areas I mentioned above.

I worked for DOL for many years, traveled sometimes with a male Black collogue. I recall having lunch with my collogue in Wilder Idaho once and they didn't want to serve us. I was oblivious and raised a fuss, we were served. I was a middle-aged white female who didn't tolerate rudeness. [I am now an elderly white female, attitude unchanged.] It may have helped that I started my career in Paterson, NJ where I was the only white gentile female in town. Being different didn't bother me.

The challenge for the OP may be dealing with the PNW culture. I mentioned that we are liberal but that is not the only difference from GA. We are largely unchurched. Roman Catholics and Jews attend services more frequently than the rest of the population. Black churches are strong in GA, we have a couple but because we no longer have Black neighborhoods the churches are not neighborhood churches. Now that I think about it few of our religious institutions are neighborhood-based.

The other barrier for the OP may be dating IF s/he wishes to date within their ethnic group. Because Blacks are such a small % of the population it will take effort to find a date. Reach out to the Urban League, attend a couple of meetings. Unlike many US communities, inter-racial marriages are not uncommon here.

I will make the same suggestion to the OP that I have for others: friendships are formed based on common interests. Get out of the house and participate in activities you enjoy.

Old 03-09-2021, 02:37 PM

628 posts, read 818,687 times
It might not be a good fit if your use to a more a predominantly black city; such as Maryland, Detroit, DC or Atlanta. Seattle has a more significant urban vibe, and probably worth checking out both to see what you like better.

Last edited by harrishawke; 03-09-2021 at 02:55 PM..

Old 03-12-2021, 04:01 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
I know it may not be quite as diverse as Atlanta.

I've been to Atlanta a couple of times. I wouldn't call Atlanta "diverse." From what I saw, it was an overwhelmingly black city. (Not saying that's bad.)

The taxi drivers, retail clerks, hotel manager, desk clerks, hotel engineer (who fixed something in my room), all black. I saw some whites in Atlanta. I didn't see any Asians or Latinos.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:34 AM

12,829 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I've been to Atlanta a couple of times. I wouldn't call Atlanta "diverse." From what I saw, it was an overwhelmingly black city. (Not saying that's bad.)

The taxi drivers, retail clerks, hotel manager, desk clerks, hotel engineer (who fixed something in my room), all black. I saw some whites in Atlanta. I didn't see any Asians or Latinos.
Asians don't count for diversity in some minds.

How is the Asian community in Portland?

Old 03-12-2021, 01:01 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,733,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Asians don't count for diversity in some minds.

How is the Asian community in Portland?
There isn't one Asian community in Portland. But there are lots and lots of Asian-Americans of every sort from old established Chinese and Japanese families that go back many generations to lots of more recent Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, Indian, and Chinese immigrants.

That is pretty much the case for every large city on the Pacific Coast frankly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: