Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 12:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times

Advertisements

Just don't wear your Greenie plates to Wyoming!

Several cars I bought at Oregon towing auctions had Out-of-state plates. I wore them as long as they were current. Oregon plates good for 2 yrs would raise the auction price sometimes even to $100! Fortunately, I was able to get most of my cars for the $35 minimum bid. Spending $100 for a car is pretty crazy expensive.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 10:23 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,687,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Be glad. That means either more people are visiting and boosting your economy, more people are moving there and bosting the economy, or a combination of the two.

Visit CO sometime. You can see 20-3o different state plates simply driving across Denver.
That's because they are all there buying weed to take home.

Old 03-28-2021, 11:36 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,893,699 times
You can buy weed in a number of states these days. Not really an issue. I would expect many more will jump on the weed train because the revenue can be impressive. Maybe not all 50 states, but this will increase as this substance becomes more commonly accepted.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:30 AM

181 posts, read 166,921 times
Protest tourism could be a factor. Those plates, as fas as I can recall, proliferated last year.

Another trend is cars without license plates or transit/temporary permits. Had hardly seen one of those in years and years, then several just over the past year.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:26 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,499,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
If they were moving to Oregon, they wouldn't have out of state license plates. Those would be tourist, or out of state students.
Eh? What rock have you been hiding under? Do you know how long it takes to re-register a vehicle these days? These are not tourists or students. These are people living and working here. I have firsthand experience of a CA transplant in my neighborhood who has been here for nearly 18 months and has tags from CA that expired in January LAST YEAR. Another one from TX is a street over. Tags still current but has been here for 9 months. My neighborhood is not a student or tourist area.

Also, you can tell out of state drivers in a number of other ways. For instance, driving like completely selfish dicks is a huge giveaway....

Old 03-31-2021, 09:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunatus View Post

Another trend is cars without license plates or transit/temporary permits. Had hardly seen one of those in years and years, then several just over the past year.
That's because people are buying new cars that they can't get registered and get plates for because the DMV is trying to do everything by mail and is extremely backed up right now.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-31-2021 at 10:00 PM..

Old 04-01-2021, 01:28 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,862,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Also, you can tell out of state drivers in a number of other ways. For instance, driving like completely selfish dicks is a huge giveaway....
Meh - it's actually nice to see people who are not afraid of their cars and can adhere to good reasonable driving behavior unlike the many wimpy Portland dopes who create hazard when they think they are being "nice" by making illegal stops mid traffic to let someone in or even worse not knowing how to merge on a ramp.

Some of these people are much more dangerous than what you are taking about.

And let's not even discuss the moronic biker riders and head down pedestrians of Portland.
These folks would be dead inside a week in NYC, LA or Chicago.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:02 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,082,509 times
Our family commutes through Oregon constantly when we travel to our other house.
We have both WA and CA plates on our rides.

They know it and they don’t care much for us one bit.
Our California plates seem to make them dislike us more so than our Washington plates.

I also get a bit of hate while in WA for my CA plates and phone number (when I have to give it).

It is just what it is.

The thing is you or they will never stop migration.
It is similar to the not buying Asian products that people tried to do in the 1980’s and it didn’t work.

The realtor that handled our seller on our Washington property deal was a real ***** to say the least.
She was even more pissed when she found out we didn’t have to sell our “Frisco” property.

I have received less than a comfortable experience from several people.

Honestly most have been welcoming.

It is not my fault that workaholics can buy places up north.

Old 04-03-2021, 03:19 PM

127 posts, read 140,882 times
I've been seeing a ton of Oregon Plates in Boise, Idaho. Maybe the numbers coming in and going out of Oregon are balancing out.

Old 04-03-2021, 07:55 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosherry View Post
I've been seeing a ton of Oregon Plates in Boise, Idaho. Maybe the numbers coming in and going out of Oregon are balancing out.
Boise is only 40 miles from the Oregon State Line. It's the major metro area for a large part of Eastern Oregon. Of course there will be a lot of Oregon license plates in Boise. Just like there are Washington plates in Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland