Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 08:42 PM

3 posts, read 1,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
It’s a tiny, tiny group of morons creating this anarchy, it isn’t some widespread movement, so it can be stopped and the citizens need to demand it is.
Okay, I found one thing that we agree on. Prosecute the anarchists who are smashing up the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 10:25 PM

209 posts, read 147,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post

Derek

You are on point with the pictures! Always a treat to see.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:37 AM

830 posts, read 488,252 times
My wife and I just spent a week and a half in Portland. This is our second time together, and probably my fifth time in Portland.

From a tourist perspective, it was a mixed bag, but mostly positive. The weather was beautiful, the people were friendly, we had a lot of good food and drink, and enjoyed the outdoors. It would have been nicer if things had been a bit more open, but that's as it is. Covid restrictions appear to be winding down and it was nice for us to be able to travel again.

As far as downsides, we took an Uber through parts of the downtown area, and I could hardly believe my eyes. It looked like a dystopian , post apocalyptic movie set. Places that used to be public area of downtown now appeared to be ceded to crackpots, anarchists, and hooligans. It's good to hear that the Mayor has finally decided that he's no longer pro-riot, but I'm not confident he'll be able to put the genie back in the bottle.

The other downside was that my wife and another woman were chased and threatened while on a hiking trail by a deranged individual. Quite shocking, really, but I am not sure whether this incident was an outlier or an indicator of the state of things in Portland.

For the most part, things seemed the same as on my other visits to PDX (except for the two cases mentioned above) and it was a mostly enjoyable trip. We'll definitely return sometime in the new year or three, unless things totally go to seed.

Old 05-08-2021, 09:14 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,263,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
My wife and I just spent a week and a half in Portland. This is our second time together, and probably my fifth time in Portland.

From a tourist perspective, it was a mixed bag, but mostly positive. The weather was beautiful, the people were friendly, we had a lot of good food and drink, and enjoyed the outdoors. It would have been nicer if things had been a bit more open, but that's as it is. Covid restrictions appear to be winding down and it was nice for us to be able to travel again.

As far as downsides, we took an Uber through parts of the downtown area, and I could hardly believe my eyes. It looked like a dystopian , post apocalyptic movie set. Places that used to be public area of downtown now appeared to be ceded to crackpots, anarchists, and hooligans. It's good to hear that the Mayor has finally decided that he's no longer pro-riot, but I'm not confident he'll be able to put the genie back in the bottle.

The other downside was that my wife and another woman were chased and threatened while on a hiking trail by a deranged individual. Quite shocking, really, but I am not sure whether this incident was an outlier or an indicator of the state of things in Portland.

For the most part, things seemed the same as on my other visits to PDX (except for the two cases mentioned above) and it was a mostly enjoyable trip. We'll definitely return sometime in the new year or three, unless things totally go to seed.
It's all related to covid. Covid is
  • what sent the working population of downtown to their homes and cleared it out, making it a ghost town, ripe for adverse possesion.
  • what made people unemployed.
  • The stress of it made the public reaction to Floyd worse, the election stress worse.
  • Once the news got out that Portland was an epicenter of clashes with police, people travelled here to participate in their "revolution."
  • what sent housing inventory to the doldrums, raising housing prices.
  • Housing prices increase homelessness
  • What caused eviction moratoria If you had a slum rental and the tenants quit paying rent, the only way to evict them was to sell. And oh looky values are up 50-100% in a year and people will buy property above asking price sight unseen. Sell your rental, Kick those marginal renters to the curb, they beolcome homeless. Also more homeless people came here from elsewhere because they're not being evicted.

As covid resolves and the country recovers we will see all of this start to resolve. Well, not resolve as in fixed but at least get off your radar. It may take another 1-2 years but I guarantee you it will be better by about 2023.

It's in times like these our country's problems reveal themselves. The problems were always there, you're just seeing them out in the open right now.

I'm surprised people don't remember the Occupy movement in 2011. It had a lot of these same problems with tent camps, crime and whatnot. It was also driven by poor economic conditions and there were versions of it around the country. Portland was not the epicenter of clashes back then I suppose. It was Oakland, CA that had the most intense occupation and violent clashes with police.

In the U.S. we've never had a recession affect only the poor before, and do so with such brutal relentlessness. The rich and affluent have done better during covid than ever before while the jobs of the working poor were cancelled.

I'm surprised that people are surprised that a recession only affecting the bottom 40% of society made the most vulnerable among that 40% more visible.

Last edited by redguard57; 05-08-2021 at 09:32 PM..

Old 05-09-2021, 04:27 AM

4,932 posts, read 2,076,443 times
Are you insane... Who in their right mind would freely visit Portland, Oregon today??!! No police, a limp “Richard” mayor and now, armed to the teeth with AR-15 and AK-47 rifles, drugged up and crazed ANTIFA and BLM are now in control of their streets. AND!!! Illegally stopping traffic at gunpoint.

I use to visit Portland at least 2-3 times a year, prior to 2020, but I’ll spend my money somewhere elsewhere where I don’t have to shoot somebody or be shot.

To the law biding people of Portland, a quick message to you... You might want to demand the reestablish law and order before there is no choice but to enforce Martial Law and have Active Duty Federal Troops, U.S. Army Paratroopers and U.S. Marines, patrolling your streets since YOU are still part of the United States. Btw, in Martial Law, military law and courts are in effect.

Trust me, it’s only a matter of time before you have gunfights in your streets with idiots with high powered rifles!! It’s a no win situation.

And yes, Portland has even beat Seattle in the crazy department... Which “I” thought was impossible.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Are you insane... Who in their right mind would freely visit Portland, Oregon today??!! No police, a limp “Richard” mayor and now, armed to the teeth with AR-15 and AK-47 rifles, drugged up and crazed ANTIFA and BLM are now in control of their streets. AND!!! Illegally stopping traffic at gunpoint.

I use to visit Portland at least 2-3 times a year, prior to 2020, but I’ll spend my money somewhere elsewhere where I don’t have to shoot somebody or be shot.

To the law biding people of Portland, a quick message to you... You might want to demand the reestablish law and order before there is no choice but to enforce Martial Law and have Active Duty Federal Troops, U.S. Army Paratroopers and U.S. Marines, patrolling your streets since YOU are still part of the United States. Btw, in Martial Law, military law and courts are in effect.

Trust me, it’s only a matter of time before you have gunfights in your streets with idiots with high powered rifles!! It’s a no win situation.

And yes, Portland has even beat Seattle in the crazy department... Which “I” thought was impossible.
Gotta say... I am inspired by your advocacy of gun control in these uncertain times. Who knew it only took armed left wing anarchists to turn people against open carry.... which is legal in Oregon.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:28 AM

I’m very pro A2, but I’m 100% against armed extremists, both on the Left and Right.

To be honest, yes, I have an issue with open carry during ANY political demonstrations and if you think what has happened in Portland, with armed demonstrators ILLEGALLY stopping traffic at gun point and that is normal AND fine, YOU have some serious issues. Democracy at gunpoint is democracy.

I’m sure that it’s only a matter of time before there is a major gunfight during one of these demonstrations, leading to the death of innocent bystanders.

I live in the metro Seattle area and I’m surprised that this sheet hasn’t happened here yet, but it’s only a matter of time before Seattle slips back into “Full-Tard” mode. Businesses in our downtown are either closing up or moving to the suburbs since there is no law and order. My sister-in-law has always lived near the downtown area, she is even now thinking of moving to the suburbs since she no longer feels safe and is wondering when Seattle will burst into flames again.

Again, I’m very pro A2, own guns and legally carry a concealed pistol. With that said, I’m glad that in Washington State, they just past a law where it will be illegal to “open carry” during demonstrations.

Back to Portland. Honestly, Portland was one of the country’s most beautiful cities, but that has changed for the worst and it will be the Working Middle Class that will end up paying for this mess. I’m mixed Black and always lived in the Black communities, in Seattle, NYC and in North Carolina. When riots happen, it mainly affects the Black and Brown communities the most since many major businesses, once looted and burned down, never return to these communities, which means we’re left with a limited shopping options and often, cost more than at the major chain grocery stores. This mainly hurts the elderly since many are living on fixed incomes, don’t drive or have an easy means to get to other parts of town where the major stores are.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
I’m very pro A2, but I’m 100% against armed extremists, both on the Left and Right.

To be honest, yes, I have an issue with open carry during ANY political demonstrations and if you think what has happened in Portland, with armed demonstrators ILLEGALLY stopping traffic at gun point and that is normal AND fine, YOU have some serious issues. Democracy at gunpoint is democracy.

I’m sure that it’s only a matter of time before there is a major gunfight during one of these demonstrations, leading to the death of innocent bystanders.

I live in the metro Seattle area and I’m surprised that this sheet hasn’t happened here yet, but it’s only a matter of time before Seattle slips back into “Full-Tard” mode. Businesses in our downtown are either closing up or moving to the suburbs since there is no law and order. My sister-in-law has always lived near the downtown area, she is even now thinking of moving to the suburbs since she no longer feels safe and is wondering when Seattle will burst into flames again.

Again, I’m very pro A2, own guns and legally carry a concealed pistol. With that said, I’m glad that in Washington State, they just past a law where it will be illegal to “open carry” during demonstrations.

Back to Portland. Honestly, Portland was one of the country’s most beautiful cities, but that has changed for the worst and it will be the Working Middle Class that will end up paying for this mess. I’m mixed Black and always lived in the Black communities, in Seattle, NYC and in North Carolina. When riots happen, it mainly affects the Black and Brown communities the most since many major businesses, once looted and burned down, never return to these communities, which means we’re left with a limited shopping options and often, cost more than at the major chain grocery stores. This mainly hurts the elderly since many are living on fixed incomes, don’t drive or have an easy means to get to other parts of town where the major stores are.
You advocate for martial law and wonder why the people you want to prosecute that violence toward choose to arm themselves.

So be it. If we want to imprison people for their political beliefs and exercising their rights as they interpret them, fine. If we want to arrest them with a heavily armed and aggressive police force, I'm all for it. I just want to go into it with eyes wide open and be aware that the targets will try to defend themselves.

Also I would want us to be aware that a state that can turn against its violence against "those people" might someday turn against you.

Old 05-11-2021, 01:31 AM

Advocate for Martial Law? That’s a case of selective reading and interpretation.... Nowhere did “I” state that “I” supported Martial Law, what “I” did point out that if the local police, State police are not able to enforce law and order and that your governor will not order and/or refuses to order in the State’s Army National Guard, THEN and only then the Federal Government would have no choice but to send in Federal Combat Troops to restore order. The last time I checked, Oregon is still part of the United States.

Believe it or not, uncontrolled violence, threats of violence, intimidation, destruction of property... Private, public, State or Federal is illegal and is not protected under the First Amendment or any other Amendment. In the First Amendment, it clearly states “peaceful” demonstrations which are rightfully protected.

Personally, I truly hope it never comes to that, but it’s simply up to the people of Portland AND Oregon on what happens in their city and State. There is a point when lawlessness has to be dealt with. If Oregon wants to secede from the Union, that’s fine too since I don’t have a dog in that fight.

But as you basically stated that if the “people” where face with the “aggressive” police force, that they, the police, would need to be prepared for what may or may not happen... If there was ever a real open rebellion and armed insurrection, it wouldn’t be the police they’d be fighting... Honestly, I’d put my money on a highly trained, combat experienced U.S. Army Paratrooper over an undisciplined and untrained thug.

Honestly, I’d rather take my chances with our current government than with a Marxist and/or an Anarchist junta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland