Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 08:19 PM

1,600 posts, read 864,677 times

Advertisements

https://www.kptv.com/2023/02/23/2-po...s-close-march/

Quote:
“We have nearly 5,000 stores across the U.S. and unfortunately some do not meet our financial expectations,” the announcement said. “While our underlying business is strong, these specific stores haven’t performed as well as we hoped.”
All employees at the two locations will have the option to transfer to other, nearby locations.
“We are grateful to the customers who have given us the privilege of serving them at our Hayden Meadows and Eastport Plaza locations.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 11:58 PM

333 posts, read 328,330 times
The Eastport Plaza Walmart has been pretty sketchy for at least 10 years. I have wondered why anyone would go to that one when a far less sketchy Walmart lies 3 miles down 82nd in Clackamas. Terrible news for Lents and adjacent areas of SE though. Not only are they losing a big, inexpensive place to shop in their neighborhood, but I can't imagine that giant hulk of a building will be used for anything new for many years, if ever.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:03 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Suspecting too much shoplifting has destroyed profitability.

Old 02-23-2023, 11:24 AM

1,740 posts, read 957,609 times
Another indication of the decline and fall of Portland. I have no doubt huge losses due to theft played a crucial role in this. I was at my local Safeway last week and they have gathered all the laundry detergent, toilet paper, personal care, baby food, diapers, and liquor into a cordoned off area where you must pay before exiting. I overheard a customer complain, and a store employee told her they had to do that as they lost over $1,000,000 in the last six months.

Old 02-23-2023, 01:45 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
Another indication of the decline and fall of Portland. I have no doubt huge losses due to theft played a crucial role in this. I was at my local Safeway last week and they have gathered all the laundry detergent, toilet paper, personal care, baby food, diapers, and liquor into a cordoned off area where you must pay before exiting. I overheard a customer complain, and a store employee told her they had to do that as they lost over $1,000,000 in the last six months.
I'm in Florida and crime is no picnic here either, but nothing like your experiencing. I always thought Portland had a very high percentage of lowlife's just wandering about. Evidently the local retail thinks so also, for businesses to have to go the route you described. Cordoned off areas where you have to pay before exiting. Sounds like the stores have good cause to go that route.

Old 02-23-2023, 01:59 PM

333 posts, read 328,330 times
That Walmart (Eastport) has had anything of value under lock and key for at least 5 years. While it is possible that shoplifting did them in, I imagine that changing neighborhood demographics and consumer tastes in that area also made it difficult.

Old 02-23-2023, 03:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
These are the only (2) urban centric Walmarts in Portland, afaik, and each have become slum stores and I'm sure very troublesome for security, sales, employment and facilities maintenance. Tragic loss for Portland metro to lose business after business, but they've shot themselves in the foot. Both feet.

Old 03-02-2023, 06:20 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
So now all these Walmart shoppers will head to Wood Village and Gresham Walmarts. I think the Gresham store is the small Neighborhood Market version of Walmart. These stores now will be overwhelmed with shoppers. I imagine these stores will quickly become problems for Walmart also. Metro Portland is way to populated with people with limited incomes, to afford losing 2 Suoer Walmarts. I suggest city leaders take a serious look at the amount of businesses leaving the region.

Old 03-02-2023, 10:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Their statement "not meeting financial expectations" could mean different things, such as not enough patronage there, people are only buying the low profit items, or they are losing profit due to shoplifting. All of those affect financial performance. In a city near us, Bellevue WA there were two, neither a Superstore. The neighborhood market is still there but is getting run down and both their produce and meat are pretty bad. The other larger one has shut down, "due to poor financial performance" and will be replaced by mixed-use development complete with housing, offices and additional retail. This is in a city where the median income is $140,252, median home $1.28 million, though this is at Factoria which is a lower income area with many apartments.

Old 03-02-2023, 02:55 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
It wasn't long ago when Portland leaders, including Sam Adams, were trying to keep the "evil" Walmart out of the city. https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...econd_por.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland