Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 03:39 PM

978 posts, read 1,089,394 times

Advertisements

im used to only white people. i remember people thought japanese people were going to move to oregon because of all the radiation. they stayed there and just moved far from it, then there going to move back to there old home when the radiation goes down.

the black friends and asian friends i had moved away not long after we were friends.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,747 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Do Oregonians hate Californians? > Yes
why?... the rest of the states do not have Prop 13. Millions of previous western states residents who spent generations forming nice functional states and communities were displaced. (excluding CA who HAS prop 13...)

1) Pre 2009 requirements to re-invest total Primary residence proceeds to avoid taxes meant High Dollars from CA exiles flowed into ALL western states (and other states)
2) Usually CA residents paid 2 - 3x the true / previous value of homes
3) Subsequent property taxes increases (resulting from above) displaced lifelong residents
4) Paying the increased taxes required MUCH more income (my property taxes went from $800 / yr to now $14,400/ yr)
5) CA inflow of wealth costs me at least one workweek / month (to cover inflation of property values and subsequent taxes)
6) I don't particularly enjoy working one extra week / month to cover CA resultant costs
7) My CA coworkers were able to retain their CA wages (~$20k / yr higher than local), which dropped ALL the wages of locals (we got a pay cut + 7 yrs without raises due to CA employees making too much money and offsetting our overall wage and benefit expenses (to company).

Fun(?)

gotta love 'em

Big kiss...

simple solution would have been to dis-allow ANY CASH flow in excess of USA average home price to FLEE CA.

1) Other states would have remained affordable (values and taxes), Established local residents would have been able to STAY in their communities.
2) CA state would have become MORE wealthy (retained equity)
3) CA exiles who had left their RE dollars in CA would be skinning the FAT CAT!! (even more so than they already did)
4) WISE CA exiles would be enjoying terrific inflows (income from their retained CA valuations)

Quite sad - absolutely tragic in MT and WY.
but it is the American Way. SMASH the poor folks and laugh all the way to the bank. Then do it again... every day if possible (that how they did it in CA)

Old 12-07-2017, 12:13 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,871,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
why?... the rest of the states do not have Prop 13. Millions of previous western states residents who spent generations forming nice functional states and communities were displaced. (excluding CA who HAS prop 13...)

1) Pre 2009 requirements to re-invest total Primary residence proceeds to avoid taxes meant High Dollars from CA exiles flowed into ALL western states (and other states)
2) Usually CA residents paid 2 - 3x the true / previous value of homes
3) Subsequent property taxes increases (resulting from above) displaced lifelong residents
4) Paying the increased taxes required MUCH more income (my property taxes went from $800 / yr to now $14,400/ yr)
5) CA inflow of wealth costs me at least one workweek / month (to cover inflation of property values and subsequent taxes)
6) I don't particularly enjoy working one extra week / month to cover CA resultant costs
7) My CA coworkers were able to retain their CA wages (~$20k / yr higher than local), which dropped ALL the wages of locals (we got a pay cut + 7 yrs without raises due to CA employees making too much money and offsetting our overall wage and benefit expenses (to company).

Fun(?)

gotta love 'em

Big kiss...

simple solution would have been to dis-allow ANY CASH flow in excess of USA average home price to FLEE CA.

1) Other states would have remained affordable (values and taxes), Established local residents would have been able to STAY in their communities.
2) CA state would have become MORE wealthy (retained equity)
3) CA exiles who had left their RE dollars in CA would be skinning the FAT CAT!! (even more so than they already did)
4) WISE CA exiles would be enjoying terrific inflows (income from their retained CA valuations)

Quite sad - absolutely tragic in MT and WY.
but it is the American Way. SMASH the poor folks and laugh all the way to the bank. Then do it again... every day if possible (that how they did it in CA)
HHHHmmm

are you completely discounting the CA folks who worked hard all their lives and PAID off the mortgage on that $500,000- $800,000 home?
So someone pays off a home and wants to take that to move for whatever reason- but you are putting restrictions on that gainfully earned income....- whats up with that? Its a free country right? How would you like that on a house you had rightfully paid off ?
and- once those CA folks move here and buy property, arent they paying the same taxes you are complaining about? (and they arent even Californian anymore anyways)-

Old 12-07-2017, 09:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,747 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
HHHHmmm

are you completely discounting the CA folks who worked hard all their lives and PAID off the mortgage on that $500,000- $800,000 home?...
and- once those CA folks move here and buy property, arent they paying the same taxes ... (and they arent even Californian anymore anyways)-
Of course they are still CA even if they have be away for 50 yrs. Just like a Marine Corp brotherhood. Your culture follows and forms your behaviors and perspective, FOR LIFE. (yes... if ever a CA resident... you are sentenced for life (as we all are).

Your premise (Californian 'entitlement-syndrome')is totally wrong from 'our' (local / non- CA) perspective.

Not blaming the CA folks, but instead looking into causation and resultant destruction of communities and states. (the reasons for discord)

The unreasonable and unnecessary offset to 'Cost of living' throughout the west was caused by inflows from higher income regions. Remember... the LOCALS have also worked to pay off their mortgages on $5/hr wages (and less)

As mentioned... my CA coworkers also brought their high wages, and / or accumulated wealth. So sure... it is simple for them to pay high taxes. But the folks still making $5/ hr (as do many farmers who work 12 - 18 hrs / day 7 days / week) are not availed the same opportunity to afford unnecessarily increased taxes.

*hint* there is ABSOLUTELY NO VALUE to increased housing costs (or valuation) when you are a 'long-term-planted-local-resident' (as are farmers / seniors who CAN'T pack up and leave tomorrow). My home that cost me under $100k, is valued by the tax assessor at ~$800k, but would never bring anywhere near that price, nor do I want or intend to sell it (I am not a wealth seeker). I built it brick-by-brick to LIVE in it, not to sell it, as I would just have to go buy or build another My Tax assessor (CA transplant) has such a simple solution. During my several hearings to contest unreasonable valuations, he consistently exclaims; "Sell it to a rich CA transplant, they have plenty of money to pay taxes" i.e. (Californian 'entitlement-syndrome')

It (Californication of communities) is very destructive to many regions, perpetuated since the 1960's. (I was chased from Colorado in the 1970s due to the same. (My parents lost our family ranch due to CA induced land values increasing beyond sustainable ranching income. Our "home place" is now a public mtn bike park - no more cow pies...perfect for CA transplants who abode in the city all week and come and destroy the peace and quiet and conservation efforts of the countryside every weekend (where us farmers and ranchers live and work and have diligently spent decades to restore). Take any route into CA on a weekend and you get to witness the same... rows and rows of Motorhomes and toyhaulers lining the highways and side roads 'escaping' to destroy nature, then run home to accumulate more destructive toys.

Perfect neighbors
Great for the schools and communities we have labored to develop.

There are exceptions. I married one, so have to deal with that & family for 40+yrs, but they are definitely CA, tho GONE for 47 yrs.

Just one of the "Facts of Life", endure it... all of us are 'temporary and will leave only our legacy (and / or our accumulated wealth) behind'

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-07-2017 at 09:32 AM..

Old 12-07-2017, 10:07 AM

320 posts, read 417,537 times
For anyone to make a generalized statement like "I Hate Californians" Is ridiculous. The same goes for "I Hate New Yorkers", "I hate guys" etc. To lump in millions of individual people with extremely different circumstances, opinions, personalities, upbringings etc, is just ignorant. That is just plain blind hate. Now, if someone is to say "I hate it when someone from California does XYZ......at least that is specific to the person. I believe that yes, wealthy Californians moving here and overpaying for houses, property etc, had an impact on the market and pissed some locals off. And I completely understand that frustration. But the same is true for thousands of people from other states as well. Californians aren't the only people who did this. The same thing happened to Californians when millions of people moved there from other states. I'd say it probably happens everywhere. But you need to remember that those specific Californians are the minority, not the majority. Most Californians are not rich by any means and have to struggle to pay the bills like everyone else. They are also sick of the extreme over population there, as well as the traffic, the smog, the high cost of living, the lack of GREEN, etc. So....they want to move away to make a better life for their families. Not to upset anyone, not to "change" the state they are moving to, but to escape the state they are moving from. They are most likely kind, happy to be here and far from rich.

On another note, I have to say that the only "California Hate" I have experienced has been on City Data. Even that wasn't personally aimed toward me. Before moving here I read about it, I watched people discuss it on this forum (and it's still happening apparently), but I have never had a single negative comment made to me in "real life". Everyone I have met here is kind, welcoming, and friendly. My neighbors are amazing and the best I have ever had. My kids made friends immediately and I love it here. Moving here was one of the best decisions I have ever made. So yes, I'm sure the "California Hate" is still out there, but I think most people don't care where you are from as long as you are nice, and don't complain about Oregon or constantly compare it to wherever you are from. And if someone judges you and hates you based solely on where you where born, that isn't someone who's opinion should matter to you anyway.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:25 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,911,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Nope, I'm an Oregonian. Every one of the people who I met and known in my life in Oregon who hated Californians, were all insecure people.
So true.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Of course they are still CA even if they have be away for 50 yrs. Just like a Marine Corp brotherhood. Your culture follows and forms your behaviors and perspective, FOR LIFE. (yes... if ever a CA resident... you are sentenced for life (as we all are).

Your premise (Californian 'entitlement-syndrome')is totally wrong from 'our' (local / non- CA) perspective.

Not blaming the CA folks, but instead looking into causation and resultant destruction of communities and states. (the reasons for discord)

The unreasonable and unnecessary offset to 'Cost of living' throughout the west was caused by inflows from higher income regions. Remember... the LOCALS have also worked to pay off their mortgages on $5/hr wages (and less)

As mentioned... my CA coworkers also brought their high wages, and / or accumulated wealth. So sure... it is simple for them to pay high taxes. But the folks still making $5/ hr (as do many farmers who work 12 - 18 hrs / day 7 days / week) are not availed the same opportunity to afford unnecessarily increased taxes.

*hint* there is ABSOLUTELY NO VALUE to increased housing costs (or valuation) when you are a 'long-term-planted-local-resident' (as are farmers / seniors who CAN'T pack up and leave tomorrow). My home that cost me under $100k, is valued by the tax assessor at ~$800k, but would never bring anywhere near that price, nor do I want or intend to sell it (I am not a wealth seeker). I built it brick-by-brick to LIVE in it, not to sell it, as I would just have to go buy or build another My Tax assessor (CA transplant) has such a simple solution. During my several hearings to contest unreasonable valuations, he consistently exclaims; "Sell it to a rich CA transplant, they have plenty of money to pay taxes" i.e. (Californian 'entitlement-syndrome')

It (Californication of communities) is very destructive to many regions, perpetuated since the 1960's. (I was chased from Colorado in the 1970s due to the same. (My parents lost our family ranch due to CA induced land values increasing beyond sustainable ranching income. Our "home place" is now a public mtn bike park - no more cow pies...perfect for CA transplants who abode in the city all week and come and destroy the peace and quiet and conservation efforts of the countryside every weekend (where us farmers and ranchers live and work and have diligently spent decades to restore). Take any route into CA on a weekend and you get to witness the same... rows and rows of Motorhomes and toyhaulers lining the highways and side roads 'escaping' to destroy nature, then run home to accumulate more destructive toys.

Perfect neighbors
Great for the schools and communities we have labored to develop.

There are exceptions. I married one, so have to deal with that & family for 40+yrs, but they are definitely CA, tho GONE for 47 yrs.

Just one of the "Facts of Life", endure it... all of us are 'temporary and will leave only our legacy (and / or our accumulated wealth) behind'
You are right that being born and raised in CA will always identify me as a Californian. Thank God. Californians are wonderful people and of course we will leave and **** off people in small, poor states. CA has an economy that ranks in the top ten world economies so the impact of CA transplants will be felt in small economies with people who are afraid to be competitive. Many of us, CA transplants, can’t afford to live in our communities that we grew up in and love. Life sucks sometimes.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdreamin View Post
For anyone to make a generalized statement like "I Hate Californians" Is ridiculous. The same goes for "I Hate New Yorkers", "I hate guys" etc. To lump in millions of individual people with extremely different circumstances, opinions, personalities, upbringings etc, is just ignorant. That is just plain blind hate. Now, if someone is to say "I hate it when someone from California does XYZ......at least that is specific to the person. I believe that yes, wealthy Californians moving here and overpaying for houses, property etc, had an impact on the market and pissed some locals off. And I completely understand that frustration. But the same is true for thousands of people from other states as well. Californians aren't the only people who did this. The same thing happened to Californians when millions of people moved there from other states. I'd say it probably happens everywhere. But you need to remember that those specific Californians are the minority, not the majority. Most Californians are not rich by any means and have to struggle to pay the bills like everyone else. They are also sick of the extreme over population there, as well as the traffic, the smog, the high cost of living, the lack of GREEN, etc. So....they want to move away to make a better life for their families. Not to upset anyone, not to "change" the state they are moving to, but to escape the state they are moving from. They are most likely kind, happy to be here and far from rich.

On another note, I have to say that the only "California Hate" I have experienced has been on City Data. Even that wasn't personally aimed toward me. Before moving here I read about it, I watched people discuss it on this forum (and it's still happening apparently), but I have never had a single negative comment made to me in "real life". Everyone I have met here is kind, welcoming, and friendly. My neighbors are amazing and the best I have ever had. My kids made friends immediately and I love it here. Moving here was one of the best decisions I have ever made. So yes, I'm sure the "California Hate" is still out there, but I think most people don't care where you are from as long as you are nice, and don't complain about Oregon or constantly compare it to wherever you are from. And if someone judges you and hates you based solely on where you where born, that isn't someone who's opinion should matter to you anyway.
I have felt the hate but mostly from other transplants. What are you gonna do? Just keep on going because it doesn’t matter. People with no life need to blame others and can’t look inward. Housing is going up everywhere and of course the west coast is desirable so unless Oregon becomes its own country then any American citizen can move here so everyone needs to deal with the popularity of the PNW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland