Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 11:52 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,597,985 times

Advertisements

No arguments about the job market though right?

Actually I get around town quite a bit...I know there *are* nice looking women here, just as there are anywhere, but not in the quantities I'd like to see in my silly little ideal version of Portland. I stand by my assertion that there's definitely better places in the country to be a single dude. Typical decent looking dude here works way too hard for way too little. Conversely, youngish, decently attractive women have zero to complain about here unless they're just impossibly picky. They're golden simply by virtue of supply and demand.

So yeah, as great as Portland is in many ways, similar to the weather, it's a bit of a trudge in this aspect.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:51 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,815 times
I suppose it depends on what you consider to be "decently attractive". When I was a youngish woman (I'm 38 now) I noticed that if a girl wore the right make-up and nice well-fitting clothes then it didn't really seem to matter what she looked like. She always seemed to have a well coiffed hot-bodied hunk on her arm despite the obvious cankles or rather largish nose or oddly heavy jowls or even the nasty spiteful attitude of entitlement that went with her wherever she went. While I never had a lack of boyfriends (a steady unending stream, in fact) I was able to avoid the materialistic boy-hunks by not wearing make-up (ever) and not brushing my hair much or paying much attention at all to what I put on my back.

It seemed more important at the time that I be able to contribute to an intelligent conversation.

I can assure you that I was (and am) a very attractive slender beauty and with very little effort on my part I was able to find a real man who loves me for all the things that those other men didn't choose to see in me. Now I can be sure that when my looks fade with old age (no signs of that yet) he will still love me for me and not for my hair, make-up, or fancy label clothes.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:54 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,815 times
Oh, wait! Perhaps you are talking about finding a girl to "hook up" with. There are plenty of those. Wear a tee-shirt advertising your lust and get her drunk. Works every time.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:23 PM

12 posts, read 46,296 times
Portland is feminist... hmmm... didn't realize that.

I think the immediate enviroment your in of course gives you an impression one way or the other and in a big city like Portland you can choose your enviroment to fit you. Probably the best way to get a taste of Portland would be to go to Saturday market. I was there on a wonderfull day and thought Portland was the most vibrant city I've ever been in, keeping in mind it was a beautifull sunny day. There were many families out enjoying some good family time and people were soooo happy. As far as women go, well, I heard there are way more women than men but I don't know. If it's true that Portland is a feminist city then that changes my whole outlook on Portland. I did meet this one female there that I really would looove to marry, but she was accually there visiting from Washington.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
Oh, wait! Perhaps you are talking about finding a girl to "hook up" with. There are plenty of those. Wear a tee-shirt advertising your lust and get her drunk. Works every time.
Well you know, they can't all be as charming (or humble!) as you are.

Am I not the most reasonable man in America tonight?

Old 04-27-2010, 01:54 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,825,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahuchannon View Post
Portland is feminist... hmmm... didn't realize that.

I think the immediate enviroment your in of course gives you an impression one way or the other and in a big city like Portland you can choose your enviroment to fit you. Probably the best way to get a taste of Portland would be to go to Saturday market. I was there on a wonderfull day and thought Portland was the most vibrant city I've ever been in, keeping in mind it was a beautifull sunny day. There were many families out enjoying some good family time and people were soooo happy. As far as women go, well, I heard there are way more women than men but I don't know. If it's true that Portland is a feminist city then that changes my whole outlook on Portland. I did meet this one female there that I really would looove to marry, but she was accually there visiting from Washington.
Some of my qu*er female friends told our qu*er male friend who moved up to Portland from San Francisco flat out, "This is a girls' town!"

It is pretty feministy here, and I'm glad.

I admit that I am always a bit unpleasantly shocked whenever I see Texasy, Californiaish, phoney girls yapping on their cell phones, like, oh my gawd, my boyfriend was all, your make up cost how much, and I was all, but baby it makes me pretty, and he was all, I know.

Yeah, that actually happened. Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
i have to tell you what i found out. that some of the "homeless" who are panhandling (anywhere) actually aren't homeless, they simply are panhandling for a living. which may be the only thing they can do- it makes some people a good lower middle class income. These people used to be called beggars, hundreds of years ago. So, it would be nice if there was housing for all the homeless, then we would not have to try and figure out whether the beggar is genuinely homeless or not. Because there wouldn't be any homeless. And you could just tell them to go up to the Y and get taken care of, without feeling terrible.
On the other hand, I am sure some of them or many, are in real dire straits need. In which case I wish Portland and Oregon would get their act together! the government, I mean. Please don't say that we are good to our homeless, because the government isn't , they fail miserably in providing for them and in keeping the excessive new dirt-poor immigrants out. So those immigrants use up a lot of the benefits....i could go on.
So today I was coming home from PCC during rush hour and had to go across the Ross Island bridge. As you're just about to get onto the 26 east (yeah, I said the 26... sorry, parents are Angelenos) coming from the 5 northbound, you there is a little island type thing... Here... I'll just link.

Google Maps

So anyway, there are always panhandlers there and today I was sitting in traffic and read this guy's sign and busted up laughing because the sign read, "HOMELESS and PREGNANT PLEASE HELP."

Apparently he's illiterate too...?
Doh!

Edit: The point of that was to say... Some of them are pretty scammy. I think we all OUGHT to know that by now. Some of the panhandlers who have accosted me have been better dressed than me and smoking cigarettes... Um... Yeahhh...

Last edited by backdrifter; 04-27-2010 at 02:10 AM..

Old 04-27-2010, 09:47 AM

12 posts, read 46,296 times
Ooops... sorry... I didn't know what the definition of feminist is, just as the other people who posted as well. Feminist just means that they are for equal rights. AWESOME!!! I am now a feminist... just kidding. Anyway, feminist doesn't have anything to do with make up or the lack of lust or anything like that.

I accually thought feminist meant female shovenist or something. You know female power. Equal is good.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:30 PM

920 posts, read 2,814,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Conversely, youngish, decently attractive women have zero to complain about here unless they're just impossibly picky.
Oh yeah? I don't find emaciated hipsters with tatoos, men with out-of-control beards, nor the "Vanilla Marley" white dreadlocked guys very attractive. Guess that makes me impossibly picky.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:35 PM

920 posts, read 2,814,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post

today I was sitting in traffic and read this guy's sign and busted up laughing because the sign read, "HOMELESS and PREGNANT PLEASE HELP."

Apparently he's illiterate too...?
I think that's pretty funny. At least he has a sense of humor. Last Christmas, I saw a guy with a sign reading, "Have egg, need nog." I'd have given him some nog, if I'd had any, just for originality.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Oh yeah? I don't find emaciated hipsters with tatoos, men with out-of-control beards, nor the "Vanilla Marley" white dreadlocked guys very attractive. Guess that makes me impossibly picky.
If that's the case, it probably means you live in the wrong area of town. Some areas of town get decidedly worse or better depending on what you're thing is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland