Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 12:12 AM

593 posts, read 1,316,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Take it as you wish.

Smoking while pregnant is not a big deal and it is a shame that the women of today are vilified for it.

In the 50's and 60's a lot of women smoked while pregnant.......and every other child was not born with allergies, asthma, autism and underweight as they are today.

BTW....I am responing to your original post.....before you completely changed it.
lets ignore science and go by false statistics

You do know that babies in the 50's were more likely to die then today right?

Infant mortality: The portion of babies dying before their first birthday was at a record low in 2000, 6.9 per 1,000 live births. That rate has fallen 75% since 1950.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 12:22 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,940,875 times
In the "old days" people smoked while pregnant and had normal babies, if not babies with low birth weight.

The difference now is that cigarettes have almost 500 added chemicals in them . . . Google it . . . the tobacco companies add chemicals to addict people - one is rocket fuel, if I am not mistaken. These chemicals cannot be good for the mother or fetus.

Regular tobacco is probably not a huge problem . . . but I do think it reflects on parenting, given that everyone knows the danger of smoking these days - if the mother doesn't care about the fetus, why will she care about the child?

Old 05-29-2011, 07:10 AM

117 posts, read 106,618 times
Quote:
Take it as you wish.

Smoking while pregnant is not a big deal and it is a shame that the women of today are vilified for it.

In the 50's and 60's a lot of women smoked while pregnant.......and every other child was not born with allergies, asthma, autism and underweight as they are today.

BTW....I am responing to your original post.....before you completely changed it.

Are you serious? Smoking while pregnant IS a big deal. Please don't post false information. Someone reading this who doesn't know any better might read this and decide to keep smoking.

Read this:
Nicotine dependence: Complications - MayoClinic.com

Pregnancy and newborn complications. Mothers who smoke while pregnant face a higher risk of miscarriage, preterm delivery, decreased birth weight and sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) in their newborn. Low birth weight babies are more likely to die around the time of birth (perinatal period) or have learning and physical problems later in life.

Smoking while pregnant is not a big dealWow.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post

Infant mortality: The portion of babies dying before their first birthday was at a record low in 2000, 6.9 per 1,000 live births. That rate has fallen 75% since 1950.

Yes. Just because her mother did it and was LUCKY that none of her kids had any complications let's just advocate that every woman should keep smoking while pregnant. Screw what the OB's say, screw the Mayo clinic. We have an example here of ONE person. Lets not base our beliefs on countless scientific studies

Old 05-29-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
In the "old days" people smoked while pregnant and had normal babies, if not babies with low birth weight.

The difference now is that cigarettes have almost 500 added chemicals in them . . . Google it . . . the tobacco companies add chemicals to addict people - one is rocket fuel, if I am not mistaken. These chemicals cannot be good for the mother or fetus.

Regular tobacco is probably not a huge problem . . . but I do think it reflects on parenting, given that everyone knows the danger of smoking these days - if the mother doesn't care about the fetus, why will she care about the child?
Wow. I only agree with the very last sentence.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:15 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,347,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megafoxy View Post
Why do some women do it?

They know its bad for the baby, so why are they harming their child?

Do you think it shows how they'll be as a parent?

My ex-best friend smoked during her entire pregnancy. Her reason? "Oh everything is so stressful. My husband is being mean to me and I'm just so stressed! Now is not the time to quit smoking with all this stress!" She said her doctor told her it was okay to smoke while pregnant. Really?! How was this doctor allowed to graduate from medical school?!

Fast forward two years later and she abandon her son and took off to Mississippi and now works for a circus and lived with a man who beats her. Even before she left, she was always mean to her baby. If he cried while she was trying to eat, she yelled at him.
No, I don't believe it's indicative of one's parenting if a woman smokes while pregnant. Smoking is highly addictive and extremely hard to quit.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
I quit when I found out I was pregnant. Believe me it wasn't easy, but I knew it was best for my child. I never even considered continuing to smoke and I don't understand people that do.
Like all other things in life, there are variables amongst smokers and their level of addiction.

Be glad that you could quit and be more sympathetic to your fellow women who found it much more challenging to do so.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Take it as you wish.

Oooh, she changed it? Damn.

I think it's a shame the things people are absolutely vilified for nowadays. It's crazy, isn't it?

Old 05-29-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post

Are you trying to say it's because of SMOKING? Because if you are, you are SO completely wrong. Completely.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:23 AM

593 posts, read 1,316,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by classygirl View Post
Yes. Just because her mother did it and was LUCKY that none of her kids had any complications let's just advocate that every woman should keep smoking while pregnant. Screw what the OB's say, screw the Mayo clinic. We have an example here of ONE person. Lets not base our beliefs on countless scientific studies
Hey mothers that do cocaine during pregnancy have babies with heart problems and many many other problems..(but mainly heart problems)
But some mothers that do cocaine (and other drugs) also have healthy kids.
So I guess this means is ok to do cocaine because SOME of them were healthy..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy