Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:45 AM

1,533 posts, read 2,278,048 times

Advertisements

At the time I was pregnant (we did not want to know the sex) I worked for a very large company and was able to run reports on employee name/gender as we weren't having much luck with internet sites. The girl name we picked was one I had always liked, went well with the middle name we had decided on whether it was a boy or girl (my mother's maiden name) so it was the boy name we were stuck on. I highlighted the names I liked, husband did the same and then we were left with only two names. We said the entire name out loud frequently, shouted it and after mulling it over for about two weeks decided on one. I purposely didn't go see what the co worker looked like since I didn't want to influence what I though about the name. I have always thought the one syllable names for boys sound strong and basically timeless. I have a name that isn't common, but not too unusual which was what were going for. I'm glad my son is not Jack #5 in his class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 01:00 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,534,279 times
When we found out we were having a girl I told my hubby I really liked the name Olivia, he didn't like it at all. He came up with Brianna, I didn't like that.

We were visiting my parents and my Mom said it would be nice to have a family name. My Great Grandmothers name was Madlena (Lena), my husbands Grandmother is Mary, so my Mom suggested Marilena. I loved it and so did my husband. So we named her Marilena Rae (my moms middle name)

Old 01-06-2012, 07:50 AM

15 posts, read 27,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I wanted my daughters name to have my bf's initials but still have meaning. Trinity means the combining love of 3 (the father the son and the holy ghost) and June her middle name is my grandmas name.
oooo, i LOVE that name!!!!!

Old 01-06-2012, 11:01 PM

175 posts, read 297,333 times
I spent three months in the hospital pregnant with my twin daughters.
The three months were hell, at any time they could have passed due to severe complications (they were monoamniotic-one placenta between the two of them.)

So when we were told we'd have to "prepare" that they might not make it, at any time, our thoughts were "No way. We'll pray for them and do whatever we can."

And at 34 weeks, two beautifully healthy girls were born, beating the odds, and we named them Victorie and Libertie.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:34 AM

13,454 posts, read 15,585,558 times
I love the Sanskrit language and Hindu mythology and I knew from early on that if I had a girl, her name would be in Sanskrit. I have two girls, and their names are Kalinda Devi and Anjali Sarinna.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:13 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,859,890 times
Picking a name can be very stressful.

DH and I were noticing names everywhere we went. Before we found out if she was a boy or a girl, we decided to try to come up with names for both. The boy name just came very easy. It was going to be my grandmother's maiden name as his first name and DH's middle name (his mother's maiden name). I loved the sound of it. I just loved the name. The girl names were much harder and I think that is because I just KNEW she was going to be a girl. I was walking through the living room one day and heard a name on TV. I LOVED it. It wasn't common (then), but not completely crazy. The middle name just came to me. About an hour later, I was walking through again and heard another name I loved. DH loved them too. Now we had 2 names for a girl.

Over the following weeks, I just kept going back and forth between the names. Just a few weeks before she was born, it was like she chose her name. Suddenly one just felt right. Even today, we comment on how perfect her name is and how the other name just wouldn't have fit her as well.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:49 PM

156 posts, read 695,958 times
My tip is do not spend all day looking at baby names.

This is what my wife did and it drove me insane. I love the name "Emily" but my wife does not like it, so one day, after showing me a list of 100 or so names, I made a joke and said "How about Amélie?" (which is the French version of "Emily"). To my surprise, she liked it and I asked if we could stop looking at baby names now? She said okay and then we enjoyed the rest of her pregnancy. :-)

Last edited by mephie; 01-15-2012 at 02:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy